CTX1300 Close up

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I had the chance to see the CTX1300 close up yesterday. Unfortunately I couldn't get a test ride.

Having seen it close up the only part I don't like is the handlebars! They were the "show stopper". They looked like they'd come off a lawn mower.

The rest of the bike very quickly grew on me. The pictures don't do it justice. I can see it selling well in it's target markets.

The fact that it was the best colour - Stealth Black also helped. The red one in the pictures doesn't do it any favours what-so-ever. In fact IMHO they should dump that red colour.

Now, I wonder if I can get a set of after-market handlebars for it...

Last edited:
John, please elaborate on what you found wrong with the handlebars. I for one don't like the appearance of the pullback, but that's just me.

Mike

yeah, I saw it too in showroom. has a long sweeping handlebars. just something to get used too. the tank is long too. but it does look nice with the dual pipes sweeping around then to rear. does look like a ST engine. V4

yeah, I saw it too in showroom. has a long sweeping handlebars. just something to get used too. the tank is long too. but it does look nice with the dual pipes sweeping around then to rear. does look like a ST engine. V4
Same motor but been Re-tuned (Detuned) reaches max HP at a lower RPM/speed and the torque peak is at a lower RPM. More low end grunt and Mid range. I just do not like the seating position. Feet Forward. I like my feet under my butt. With a slight lean. Honda is going after the Harley bagger crowd.

Let's face it. None of us are probably going to like any CTX, if only for the seating position. Did Honda even test these over any extended mileage? Like out of town distances?

Most of the USA riders prefer the feet forward position as evident by HD and all the import cruisers. Most US riders don't ride very far or often. People who even bother to participate on forums like this tend to be riders, but WE are the minority.:(

Most US riders don't know any better. :shrug2: Over on the ST forum the ones that have moved from the cruiser scene over to sport touring wonder why it took them so long.

It's a nice looking bike and performs well. Feet forward cramp me up in 45 minutes. I would move to an ST-1100 or 1300 or FJR before even considrting one. I like what I have and will probably be riding it ten years from now.

There are an awful lot of Gold Wing and Road King long distance types who like floorboards more forward than mid pegs. Many of them put on way more miles than most of "us".

The engine is an evolution of the 1300 in the Pan European. It has been detuned a little and now has 12,000 km service intervals rather than the previous 6,000 km. The large screen along with the top box makes it look so much better. Again, they should ditch that terrible little screen as well as the red colour.

I didn't get to ride it so I can't comment on the seating position. I would have to be able to use it in heavy traffic, filtering and lane splitting at incautious speeds. If I can't do that easily then it's a show stopper. You, so I am told, sit much more upright which, for me, is a real bonus due to an old shoulder injury (I can no longer ride sports bikes for more than 45 minutes a day because of it). I have requested a test ride so we'll see when that happens.

The handlebars look all wrong. They really are very horrible to look at. They quite literally look like they've come off a Honda push lawn mower and painted black. They don't suit the bike at all. I think split bars would have been much better.

The problem with the handlebars is the very awkward pull they make you do when lifting the bike off the sidestand. The problem with the riding position is what you cannot do and that is get up on the pegs when you have to motocross a road hazard.

Most of the USA riders prefer the feet forward position as evident by HD and all the import cruisers. Most US riders don't ride very far or often. People who even bother to participate on forums like this tend to be riders, but WE are the minority.:(

It's a shame, but you are correct. The HD folks have dictated the riding ergos for a great many riders. I chuckle to myself everytime I see one go by with their feet splayed out forward and their hands on the bars at eye level or higher. Common sense should tell 'em that it ain't gonna be comfortable! But style wins over common sense, just take a look at ladies shoes.... uh oh, better not go there.

Mike

It's a shame, but you are correct. The HD folks have dictated the riding ergos for a great many riders. I chuckle to myself everytime I see one go by with their feet splayed out forward and their hands on the bars at eye level or higher. Common sense should tell 'em that it ain't gonna be comfortable! But style wins over common sense, just take a look at ladies shoes.... uh oh, better not go there.

Mike

There are a great many people riding with floorboards forward that do many more miles than any of us here in this forum. And they use their highway pegs on a regular basis, splaying their legs in front of them. Most do not have high bars but some do.

Remember, there are many variations of the HD bike family and forward floorboards and way forward pegs are just one aspect of it.

As for the CTX bars, everyone has a different idea of what is comfortable. Guzzi police bikes had some bars that came far back, basically like many of the very early motorcycles. I did not like them but a lot of folks do, and they ride a lot of distance with them.

I just wish mfg's would provide options for foot and hand controls as well as seats and seat height to adapt to various riders. As it is today you have to rely on aftermarket to make a bike fit, or, pass up buying it because it doesn't fit. A real shame because most of the bikes out there could be changed to fit just about anyone.

I had a Valkyrie for 12 years. It is a feet forward bike. Not way forward but the same position as a Gold Wing. I never had a problem lifting my rear off the seat when I was crossing something I preferred not to feel in my butt. I think one could do the same with a CTX1300.

I looked at the CTX1300 at Interstate Honda in Ft Collins today. The one I noticed the price on was the version with the extra stuff and it was marked down from $17000+/- to $14,000+/-. I looked at the panniers and they were a joke (IMNSHO). Not much depth, not much volume that was apparent. I don't think a helmet of any size would fit. Not much stuff would fit. I wasn't impressed.

FJR Bags will both hold a Schuberth C-3 and have room for other items:rofl1:

Back
Top Bottom