CX500 cafe bikes - a couple builds I just finished...

mp cycle design

I've had some interest from other NT riders for some of the cafe builds I'm doing with the CX500 - here are a couple I just finished:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I like the look! The Black bikes seat line and tail section looks really good... I'd never straighten up again :rolleyes1: after getting on a cafe but I do admire them...

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Very nice. Are you doing that at home or do you have a shop? i live in Richardson and would enjoy having a closeup look if you have a shop.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Wow!! I mean...like...wow! I love 'em. I looked at a CX500 for a long time when I was first thinking about buying a bike. I couldn't afford anything then, and when I finally was able to buy a bike, I got a cousin of the CX, a GL650i. I liked the Silverwing for its fairing and luggage, but now I've got the NT for that.

I won't buy a 2nd bike, but those are magnificent.

tawilke46

Very nice! Exquisite work!
Now if I was younger, I would love to have one.
Really like the looks of a cafe racer.

OP
OP

mp cycle design

Well - hopefully I'll have that little shop on a hill in the near future - for now - I'm cramped in the garage but don't have a problem with you stopping by... Feel free to send me another message if you're interested. I'm located in Irving - Paul

OP
OP

mp cycle design

Well - I'm 60 so I guess I'll need to start growing up... Not!!!!! :smile:

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
The CX500 was such an awesome engine. I put 55,000 miles on a 1979 DX500 Deluxe I dress in Vetter. Loved that old bike. Bought a new GL500 a few years later and hated it. Didn't have the power due to compression ratio being dropped. Got ride of it pretty quickly.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
GREAT work, really good examples of cafe CX500's, not like some others that I have seen

OP
OP

mp cycle design

Very nice, are they for sale?
Not for sale yet anyway - how many bikes does a guy need anyway? I have a very understanding wife... At this point - just trying to build up an inventory for that retirement shop. I need to put a couple thousand miles on them just to make sure everything is buttoned up properly.

mp
AWESOME work on both. But that black one is ABSOLUTELY Spot on. I would love to pull up to Bike Night on that. :yr1:
Yes - its kinda interesting how most people prefer one over the other - my wife absolutely loves the copper one and thinks I should repaint the black one. I told her most riders would probably prefer the black one - which is really the evil one...

Very, very nice. I had a new 1979 CX500 and it was fantastic. It was powerful for a 500 and so smooth!

I bet you've had many people tell you that they like your GUZZI.

I think you could sell those as a commercial endeavor.

I bet they sound good with those pipes!

Sam:)
I'm hoping I can sell them commercially some time in the future. I actually had a rider ask me if the copper one was a Norton (I wish). You are correct - the CX500 engine is extremely smooth and it has one of the best shifting tranny's of any bike - including modern ones today. With the addition of the Mikuni TM38 flat slide carbs and shaving a lot of weight (the front end is 20 lbs lighter than the stock CX front end) - the bikes have a very modern feel and its not very difficult to pull the front wheel off payment. Most riders are not that excited about the shaft drive and rear end - but I'm an old man - I really don't want to mess with chains anymore. The other nice thing about CX's - there are a ton of them laying around that haven't been ridden in rears and parts are very accessible and inexpensive. I just got started on my third... The pipes are stock Harley's and you are correct - they are music on the CX. Cruising down the road listening to the pipes is the best of all...

Great job on your Cafe Racers. I am still working on my CB 550K
Yes - I'm hoping to see some pictures very soon!!!!

I likey a lot, and I am picky!
Thanks - its the picky ones that make me try harder so I'm glad you're on board! You'll also be happy to know that all the electronics have been updated (stator, CDI, coils, wiring...) and the engines were completely disassembled and given a good going over. I know that's the first thing picky ones will ask...

YZFfzr

Beautiful !

Makes one get quite reminiscent of the day.... and you really hit it with your choice of bikes!
I was riding a 500-4 back when I first had the chance to test ride a CX and had to have one right then!

All my CBs were copper brown so I really like the copper bike!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I got the CB 550 running--albeit quite rough. I ordered a new gasket set for the carbs so that should help. There is a lot of rust and corrosion on the bike. I am thinking of powdercoating any cases that are removable in silver. The cylinders will probably be painstakingly cleaned fin by fin over the winter. I am fortunate to have two sets of side cases and a gas tank that is dent free--and has little paint left on it. No corrosion inside. The seat is a mess. I should be able to find a good one or refurbish the old one. The problems are primarily cosmetic. I do need a new exhaust system. It will be a good project to stimulate my mind so that I won't get senile.

OP
OP

mp cycle design

I got the CB 550 running--albeit quite rough. I ordered a new gasket set for the carbs so that should help. There is a lot of rust and corrosion on the bike. I am thinking of powdercoating any cases that are removable in silver. The cylinders will probably be painstakingly cleaned fin by fin over the winter. I am fortunate to have two sets of side cases and a gas tank that is dent free--and has little paint left on it. No corrosion inside. The seat is a mess. I should be able to find a good one or refurbish the old one. The problems are primarily cosmetic. I do need a new exhaust system. It will be a good project to stimulate my mind so that I won't get senile.
I don't know - sometimes I'm thinking it makes me more senile - I had the copper one on a lift about 4 feet off the ground a couple months ago finishing up on some minor details - I turned around to get the safety straps and before I could turn around and face the bike - it fell off the lift and landed smack dab on a newly painted tank. Other than smashing the tank - nothing else was wrong with the bike but it came within inches of me. Talk about senile....

OP
OP

mp cycle design

2010 NT Red with matte black racing stripes (or Silver as not to start a color war). Anyway, I'd love to see your shop one day. I'll even clean up the drool after checking out some of your builds.:rofl1: We certainly have similar tastes in bikes.
Cool! I give free coffee to anybody that helps me polish... Which is probably why I spend a lot of time polishing things myself...

cmdematos

I like your builds very much. Can you give me details on the front fork swap - could you give me details on what that is and how you went about it?

Top Bottom