Cycle World Evaluation of Shoei Qwest

fpavko

Just received my latest copy of Cycle World (April issue) and was pleasantly surprised to see that they evaluated the Qwest along with HJC IS-MAX, Scorpion EXO 1000 Sublim and Vemar Jiano Bluetooth. They did say that the Shoei Qwest is "the quietest helmet we've ever tested". Also received high marks for the ventilation system, fit and comfort.

Still not able to ride with mine but this makes me feel a little better about the purchase. Just hope the glasses issue is not a problem for me. My first shot at a full face and don't know how much of a problem my glasses will be.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Rick,

With my Nolan N-103, I don't take my glasses on and off to put on or remove the helmet. I thought that was part of the point of an flip-front helmet.

Or isn't the Shark a flip-front? I am picturing the helmet that has the chin-bar that rotates clear to the back of the helmet... is it something else?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Karl, I've been thinking about a Schuberth ... it would give me a safety-related excuse to spend a lot of money.

Rick, I understand that eyeglass problem too, even if I don't have that one; mine is astigmatisml. I'm blind as a bat without my glasses. A question about the Shark: do you have to rotate the chin-bar all the way to the back to have it in "locked" position? If it's just "up" above your vision, does it create a lot of drag on your head?

elizilla

I wonder how the Qwest compared to the RF-series helmets? It appears from what I can find at other sites, that it's meant to be a comparable helmet but made for touring riders while the RF is for sport riding. Which could mean anything, in practice. I guess I will have to try one on next time I am at Iron Pony.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I wonder how the Qwest compared to the RF-series helmets? It appears from what I can find at other sites, that it's meant to be a comparable helmet but made for touring riders while the RF is for sport riding. Which could mean anything, in practice. I guess I will have to try one on next time I am at Iron Pony.
My understanding is that the vents on the Quest are optimized for an upright riding position (touring), whereas the RF series is for a forward leaning riding position, i.e. a sport bike.

OP
OP

fpavko

My understanding is that the vents on the Quest are optimized for an upright riding position (touring), whereas the RF series is for a forward leaning riding position, i.e. a sport bike.
In addition to this was a focus on reducing the noise level which, according to Cycle World, they did very well.

elizilla

Well, I will know soon. I bought a Shoei Qwest today.

The salescritter tried to sell me the girly one with the floral motif, but there's no way I'm spending an extra hundred bucks for something that's going to be harder to see in traffic. I only buy solid color helmets in bright colors or white, for safety. And if I were the kind of woman who would like a helmet with pink flowers painted on it, I would also be the kind of women who cares that baby pink and hi-vis don't go well together. And I was standing in front of him in the hi-vis jacket for pete's sake. If I'm going to make people's eyes bleed, I want the monza red. In fact I could totally have gone for that, but the Qwest doesn't come in that color. What's wrong with the Shoei people anyway? They're as bad as Honda with the boring colors. Maybe worse. The Qwest comes in THREE different solid grays, but no bright colors at all. Do they really think the kind of people who buy gray helmets care about the shade? It won't matter to them as long as it's boring. Why not just have one gray, and round out the line with a nice red or yellow or lime green??? Grrr.

Anyway, white was the only acceptable color, and I had to order it. I'll go pick it up on our next dry Saturday. It's good to buy something locally even if it is more trouble, especially since they were having an open house sale that beats all the mail order places. Also they said they will swap out the cheek pads for the thicker ones I want, for no extra charge.

And as I was getting ready to leave, they were raffling off an Icon helmet. Which I didn't win, though I did check my ticket. Since I hadn't won, I was opening the door to leave when they called another number, and I did win. A t-shirt. I guess it's cool to win something at least. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I guess it's cool to win something at least.

In the eleven years I was in the Concours Owners Group, I went to eight national rallies. There was always lots of swag given away. I won one small t-shirt and then, this year, after I bought the NT, brake pads. Whoopee!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Yesterday afternoon while I was gassing up the Flex ($65.00!:eek1:) a guy pulled in to the station on a Vulcan Nomad touring model wearing a Quest. While my pump was running forever :rolleyes1: I walked over and asked him about the Quest. He was very happy with the venting and said it was very comfortable to wear in yesterdays 70? temperatures. Since his windshield is a fixed cruiser model he was happy that he did get some airflow through the Quest and his mesh jacket behind that big screen. That was the first Quest I've seen on the road.

Edit: When I asked him about noise he said it was very quiet....

Last edited:

elizilla

In the eleven years I was in the Concours Owners Group, I went to eight national rallies. There was always lots of swag given away. I won one small t-shirt and then, this year, after I bought the NT, brake pads. Whoopee!
I won some turn signals at the V-Strom national rally. They fit V-Stroms made in 2004 or later. My bike was a 2003. :)

But this t-shirt is a large, so it should fit me just fine.

The Quest seems to have deeper ear pockets, should be good for installing a headset. And quiet is high on my list of desirable qualities. I liked the wider/taller face shield opening too.

Last edited by a moderator:

prof98801

I would definitely agree on the Shoei Qwest. I bought a white Shoei Qwest when I got the NT. It is very comfortable and I believe the circulation of air is good with the pop-up portion for anti-fogging in the winter. With all the vents open, you can feel the circulation of air. It is very quiet on the NT and would recommend it to anyone.

Top Bottom