Datel voltmeter

bicyclist

I finally got around to installing a Datel voltmeter in the speaker grill. It was a simple installation. I removed the fairing pockets and the dashboard or meter cover or whatever you want to call it. Behind the speaker grill is a box used for mounting the speaker (see pic). I made a filler piece to go behind the grill from a piece of car detritus found along the road during a bicycle ride. I find all sorts of valuable stuff while I'm out pedaling.:smile: The filler piece is intended to keep water out. A little saw blade on a Dremel tool did a neat job of cutting holes through the filler and the grill. The voltmeter is held in place with a brass compression fitting (see pic). The last pic shows the meter in action with the bike at idle. Now I can monitor the charging system while loading it with heated gear, lights, etc.

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If anybody's interested, I've got a Datel voltage display and a Datel thermometer that I was going to install in the same place before I bought the Kisan Chargeguard that shows me the same thing. I'd sell the pair for $40. I'm not 100% sure the voltmeter still works, so if you're interested, I'd send 'em to you and let you try them. If the voltmeter didn't work, it would just be $20 for the thermometer.

OP
OP

bicyclist

Hey, Phil, I'd be interested in the thermometer. I could put it in the other speaker grill to balance things out.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
OK. It's yours. PM me and let me know where to send it.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Is the voltmeter itself designed to be waterproof? I've been thinking of installing one as well, but worried about it holding up over time in the elements. Great install; looks good!

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Is the voltmeter itself designed to be waterproof? I've been thinking of installing one as well, but worried about it holding up over time in the elements. Great install; looks good!
I've had one installed on my Ninja for a couple of years without any issues. The weather I rode through in Nova Scotia was a wet as anything I've seen and the meter never once failed. The installation was dead simple especially if you've got a Moto Tool handy for cutting out the rectangular hole. It's a great way to monitor what's going on with your charging system as you turn things on/off.

If anyone's interested here's a link to the installation on the Ninja:
http://larrylarry7575.blogspot.com/2009/04/good-grief-izzat-voltmeter.html

LL75 :smile:

Attachments

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
If anybody's interested, I've got a Datel voltage display and a Datel thermometer that I was going to install in the same place before I bought the Kisan Chargeguard that shows me the same thing. I'd sell the pair for $40. I'm not 100% sure the voltmeter still works, so if you're interested, I'd send 'em to you and let you try them. If the voltmeter didn't work, it would just be $20 for the thermometer.
Hey Phil,

I'm in for the voltmeter; only have one question: Has it been installed in another rig and do you have the bezel & mounting hardware? Testing it is dead simple, just hold a couple of leads from it to any 12v battery and it should light up with the voltage reading. If not it's just another cool little item for your medicine pouch.

Best,

LL75

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Is the voltmeter itself designed to be waterproof?
I have waterproofed a couple of items before by encasing them with epoxy. I have a garage door opener installed in the right fairing pocket that is sealed with 5 min epoxy.
It would be better if designed to be waterproof but sealing it works as well.

Brad

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Bicyclist,
That is a nice installation. I plan to find an ammeter and oil pressure gage--waterproof, to put in the right speaker enclosure and three toggle switches for the right one--one switch would be a spare for some future farkle. I am looking in Marine stores for such gages.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Hey Phil, I'm in for the voltmeter; only have one question: Has it been installed in another rig and do you have the bezel & mounting hardware?

Larry, it's never been installed and I'm pretty sure I've got the little spring clamp deal that slides onto it behind the mounting surface. There isn't a bezel; it's just slightly bigger right at the front of the display to keep it from faling into the hole you put it in. Two wires. The LED display is the light.

Send me your address and I'll drop it in the mail to you.

OP
OP

bicyclist

Larry, it's waterproof. The whole thing is epoxied into it's case. Take note that the polarity of the terminals is marked on the label on the side, not next to the terminals themselves.

Alex, I got a waterproof switch at West Marine. I can't remember whether the rubber cap over the toggle came with it or was hanging on the rack next to it. With the rubber cover over the toggle and a rubber cover over the switch body, that sucker ain't gonna get wet. You can just see part of it in my last pic above the fuel gauge. The damned thing was frightfully expensive, around 20 bucks.

You're going to have some difficulty fitting everything into the little box that surrounds the speaker grill, I think. It measures something less than 3 1/2 x 1 1/2. I originally planned to put in a Honda analog gauge (I like analog gauges) but it was too large in diameter. The grill itself isn't very sturdy and might not stand up to the stress of switch flipping unless you back it up with a piece of plastic or something.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Larry, it's waterproof. The whole thing is epoxied into it's case. Take note that the polarity of the terminals is marked on the label on the side, not next to the terminals themselves.Alex, I got a waterproof switch at West Marine. I can't remember whether the rubber cap over the toggle came with it or was hanging on the rack next to it. With the rubber cover over the toggle and a rubber cover over the switch body, that sucker ain't gonna get wet. You can just see part of it in my last pic above the fuel gauge. The damned thing was frightfully expensive, around 20 bucks.

You're going to have some difficulty fitting everything into the little box that surrounds the speaker grill, I think. It measures something less than 3 1/2 x 1 1/2. I originally planned to put in a Honda analog gauge (I like analog gauges) but it was too large in diameter. The grill itself isn't very sturdy and might not stand up to the stress of switch flipping unless you back it up with a piece of plastic or something.
I think this should have been directed to VACANEMAN, my post was in answer to his question. I've already installed one of these on another bike and was just responding to his inquiry.

Thanks,

LL75 :wink:

OP
OP

bicyclist

I think this should have been directed to VACANEMAN, my post was in answer to his question. I've already installed one of these on another bike and was just responding to his inquiry.

Thanks,

LL75 :wink:
Oops, sorry. Hey, Jeff... :rofl1:

Nice meter, though, isn't it?

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Thanks everyone for the info on this. I'll put it on my farkle list. I picked up my wind deflectors from the dealer early yesterday morning. They looked surprised to see me (or anyone) ride in with the temp around 20. Heated gear and heated grips are the best things I've ever purchased!

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Bicyclist, HELP!! please give me some info on removing the dash cover. I have the two screws out but have been pulling, pushing jamming and yanking on that darn thing and I cannot get it off. I am trying to install a farkle in the speaker grill but I cannot release the dash cover from the tabs. What direction do I need to go to release it?
Thanks!!

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Another option...I installed motosens oil temp and voltage meters on my former VStar 650. They have a couple of alternatives as well...I might get their voltage gauge and even their oil temp gauge for the NT. Look at http://www.motosens.com/english/product.htm for options. I like the flat, black one for voltage because it looks like a minor install......

freezingalaskan

Top Bottom