definition of 'hookups'

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have been perusing a website that lists Nat'l forests and facilities available
I'm thinking I will have to rent an RV site to get juice
What i dont know is, when they say "hookups" or 'this many amps' or 'standard electric'
Does that mean i can plug my extension cord in or does it mean there is some kind of cable or box only an RV could plug into?

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I have been perusing a website that lists Nat'l forests and facilities available
I'm thinking I will have to rent an RV site to get juice
What i dont know is, when they say "hookups" or 'this many amps' or 'standard electric'
Does that mean i can plug my extension cord in or does it mean there is some kind of cable or box only an RV could plug into?
That's usually just a 110v electrical plug.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Hookups can cover water, power, sewer and cable TV.

bicyclist

Ya know, when I saw the title of this thread, I had the exact same thought and I knew that you would express it.:rofl1:

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Many times if they say 50 amp that means a 220 volt outlet, but every time I have seen one it also had a 110 there also.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yes. The 'standard' electrical hookup is 110V and has 30A RV type outlet as well as std 20A receptacle to plug into. There are still a lot of travel trailers and pop ups that use just a heavy duty extension cord for electrical needs.

And you will find some that offer 50A service. Those may or may not have the other two receptacle options. They are meant for the larger RV's so you might want to stay away from them. Someone with a bus conversion may not see your little tent when they pull in for the night :)

You will sometimes just see "Full" service which means water, electric (30A) and sewer. Cable and phone service is also sometimes offered. Most now offer decent WiFi service as well. There are still some places that offer just electric or just water.

We use our fifth wheel enough that we carry adapters for the 20A, 30A, and 50A receptacles. When on the bike I usually carry a small power strip with me for plugging in at night.

Top Bottom