DELKEVIC: Pros and cons?

Hey all-

I hear the slip on slightly improves the rear-tire-removal process, and I saw someone say they liked the sound: any other thoughts/opinions/SWAG?

cheers

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I like the quiet sound of the standard muffler, but that's just me. If you do go to the Delkevic, make sure that it will accommodate the oxygen sensor.

Mike

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
The Suzuki DL650 I purchased last summer came with a Delkevic exhaust. It is much too loud for my taste. Like Mike, I would have preferred the previous owner left the OEM exhaust on. Too expensive to go back to stock, so I am stuck with it.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The Suzuki DL650 I purchased last summer came with a Delkevic exhaust. It is much too loud for my taste. Like Mike, I would have preferred the previous owner left the OEM exhaust on. Too expensive to go back to stock, so I am stuck with it.
Rich, have you investigated the Stormtrooper forum? You might find someone who replaced their OE exhaust with something else and would be willing to part with the OE system for not much money. Shipping may be a problem though.

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V
I'll never understand wanting loud exhaust on the Deauville or Goldwing of all bikes. That's like getting dressed up to go to a nice winery only to pull out a 40 you grabbed from a gas station convenience store when you get there.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Hey all-

I hear the slip on slightly improves the rear-tire-removal process, and I saw someone say they liked the sound: any other thoughts/opinions/SWAG?

cheers
In the all the years I have been a member of this group I have only seen a couple mentions of someone changing the muffler on their NT so I don’t think you will find much information on it here. Its possible the NT group in the UK might have some experience on this topic.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
In the all the years I have been a member of this group I have only seen a couple mentions of someone changing the muffler on their NT so I don’t think you will find much information on it here. Its possible the NT group in the UK might have some experience on this topic.
Yup Warren, in thinking back, I can only remember three..... whose names I can't remember. I do recall that one of them freecycled an OE muffler off of a Harley Sportster. It looked pretty nice IIRC and the owner liked the sound.

Mike

OP
OP
jfear
Thanks all for your replies - the only real reason it appeals to me is the mechanical advantage while removing the rear wheel - the sound of the stock NT is unobtrusively anemic and is just fine.
As per the question of 'Why would someone want a louder pipe?', I can only say that I love the music that comes from the pipes that were offered for the Valkyrie Hondas: that sounded like all the good things about a tuned V6 or V8 IMO. If i could be promised something like THAT, i would happily step out of type just to have the harmonic accompaniment.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I had Delkevics on my ST1300 and it sounded nice.

I put aftermarket exhausts on all my bikes, I just like to hear how great a bike can sound, that being said, I don't get loud pipes, just louder than stock which is a low bar to hit.

I had some aftermarket pipes on a goldwing and that was awesome, sounded like a hot Porsche.

Akra on the RT and it's also nice when you get on the throttle and barely noticeable otherwise.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
As far as tire removal you may have other options such as a lift that will allow you to drop the rear wheel straight down. With that no exhaust removal/moving around is needed.
Just a thought.

Arknt

OP
OP
jfear
actually, when i had it off the first time I was in a dirt backyard: I put the NT on a 2x6 and dug a pit behind it. x)

Top Bottom