Denali D2 at night

Bike
2010 RED NT700V #1188
One of the best, no ... the best add-on I have made so far has been my Denali D2 lights.

The other night I figured I would stop by my sons school and take a few pictures so that other users can better judge their effectiveness.

These are untouched photos taken with a gopro looking through my grey tinted CEE Baily. There are no parking lot light on so all the white thingies are signs. The building is approx 120 yards away.

G0028630 Low Beam Denalis at 100 percent - 1.jpg
G0028631 Low Beam Denalis at 40 percent - 1.jpg
G0028639 High Beam Denalis at 40 percent - 1.jpg
G0028646 High Beam Denalis at 100% - 1.jpg

Lets see how this works.

Michael

Attachments

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Michael, why don't you go back into your post and tell us what combination of lights you've got on in each of the photos.

I'm guessing that starting in the upper left, it's low beams with the Denalis; moving to the top middle is low beam without the Denalis; top right is high beam without the Denalis, and bottom is high beam with the Denalis.

I agree that they make a huge difference, although I've only got the D1s.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Nice report, Mike. I have the D-1 Lights and they are always on so that I show a white triangle. They are great for spotting Bambi. Also saw a moose with them. I may get a pair of D-2 and mount them to the undercowl. Then people will think that I am a UFO,

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
When adding additional lighting front lighting, consider beefing up the turn signal brightness as well. The other night I was waiting for the light to change at a well-lighted intersection. In the left-turn lane facing me was a sportbike (couldn't tell what kind), with his plain-old high-beam light on. His left-turn signal was blinking but it was almost invisible in the glare from the headlight. Now, a lot of sportbikes have the wimpiest, crappiest turn signals they can get away with, and this was no exception. But it occurred to me that, at some point, adding gobs o' lighting without doing something with the turn signals could wind up making your front turn signal inconspicuous to the point of uselessness.

OP
OP
MichaelK
Bike
2010 RED NT700V #1188
Michael, why don't you go back into your post and tell us what combination of lights you've got on in each of the photos.

I'm guessing that starting in the upper left, it's low beams with the Denalis; moving to the top middle is low beam without the Denalis; top right is high beam without the Denalis, and bottom is high beam with the Denalis.

I agree that they make a huge difference, although I've only got the D1s.

This is more of an education question. How are you seeing the pictures? Do you see the pictures without clicking on the links first? If that is the case then my naming conventions of the pics is uselsess. I think I may go back and add the "description" into/on each of the picts.

Thanks,

Michael

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Hmm... I didn't see any named links, just the thumbnails.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Hmm... I didn't see any named links, just the thumbnails.

Now, when I look at your captioned pictures, I remember that the D2s have variable intensity. I'd forgotten that. The captions are very helpful. Thanks!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I like my modified flashlights :) The are good for a bit over 100yd and are wired for use with high beam only. I tried aiming them so as to not blind oncoming drivers but that was not to be. To wide a beam. Great for solo night roads though, like my winter morning commute.

And, yes, the extra lights do overpower the front turn signals unless you have some larger ones, or they are mounted sufficiently far away from each other. I have some wimpy little aftermarket turn signals and right now they are mounted together with the "driving" lights. I will fix that one of these days. Probably will look for some fairing mount rear view mirrors with integrated turn signals.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Ok I'm confused. I'm only aware of two settings on the D2's - 40% brightness, and 100% brightness. I wired mine so when my low beams are on, if I turn on the Denali's, they're at 40%. If I flip to high beams, the Denalis go to 100%.

To do this I have one wire to a switched power source, and the other to the high beam wire. How is yours set up?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Rob, I don't know if you're asking me a question or not. I didn't know how the D2s worked. All I meant by "variable" was that the D2s aren't single-intensity like the D1s are. I'm guessing that if yours have 40% and 100% then that's what all of them have.

CommuterNT

When adding additional lighting front lighting, consider beefing up the turn signal brightness as well. The other night I was waiting for the light to change at a well-lighted intersection. In the left-turn lane facing me was a sportbike (couldn't tell what kind), with his plain-old high-beam light on. His left-turn signal was blinking but it was almost invisible in the glare from the headlight. Now, a lot of sportbikes have the wimpiest, crappiest turn signals they can get away with, and this was no exception. But it occurred to me that, at some point, adding gobs o' lighting without doing something with the turn signals could wind up making your front turn signal inconspicuous to the point of uselessness.
Anybody have any suggestions on bulbs or ways to beef up the turn signal lights? I'm toying with mounting some Rigid Industry floods that I have kicking around. (Originally on the bike before my small accident and insurance paid for Denali's to replace them) I'm looking to mount them up where the mirrors are mounted as others have done. I plan on putting an amber cover over the lights. Should be quite the light show.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Rob, I don't know if you're asking me a question or not. I didn't know how the D2s worked. All I meant by "variable" was that the D2s aren't single-intensity like the D1s are. I'm guessing that if yours have 40% and 100% then that's what all of them have.
My question was to the original poster - who posted four different pics of brightness. I am only aware of two, so I was curious how his denalis are wired.

Top Bottom