Destination Covered Bridge

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
As I sit here contemplating the many places I want to ride this year and reviewing the thousands of photos I took last year. I have started to formulate a plan for the one day jaunts when we have a great day or maybe even an overnighter if the weather permits. Most the time I ride, I like to have a destination and formulate a loop around that. It usually ends up being a restaurant somewhere that I can ride to, eat lunch, and head home a different route.

Last spring I felt the need to stay away from the restaurant idea ( I wonder why ) and instead, a friend and I started locating covered bridges within a days ride that we choose to ride to see. This was a great adventure that I should have written about last year, however, when the weather broke I was on the bike every moment I had free so it's time to bring it up and maybe keep those of us who are stir crazy due to weather from going completely nuts.

Here are just a few of the bridges we rode to see. Most of which were in southeast Ohio.

This bridge was only about 15 miles from home, however I did at least a 50 mile loop to include it as a destination.

These two bridges, which we could ride through, were within 10 miles of each other near the city of Glouster OH / Burr Oak State Park.

Then on the first weekend in May the weather was great so we took an overnighter farther north into ohio and found three bridges to visit. We spent the night in Hocking Hills before visiting these three bridges and heading back home.

This great bridge, site of the First Land Battle of the Civil War, is located in Philippi WV and we crossed it on the way to Davis WV for an overnight outing on some great roads.

And next three bridges were just 3 of 4 we past on a day long route north out of Marietta OH.

I will likely use this same idea again soon and find some more Covered Bridges I have not been to yet. There are hundreds of them in Ohio and like many in the states you are in. Hope everyone enjoys spring, when it gets here. I'm ready !

Last edited:
Awesome. A great idea.

Love the way you got the bikes in the picture as well.

What was the advantage of making them covered? A place to get out of the rain???

Chris

It was actually to keep the wooden bridges from rotting so quickly. If you notice the roof and often sides were designed to keep the rain off the wooden structure. It must have worked as several have never been renovated or painted and they are still standing. A little crooked and sagging but pretty darn sturdy. I rode my bike through a few of them that were actually off the roadway. I was able to locate many of the bridges by going to Google Maps and searching for covered bridges near a particular city.

What model and year is that Suzuki? Great looking bridges. I have a thing about old barns. I will need to start collecting my pictures of those, for later posting.

Last edited:
Nice pics. Ohio is rich with covered bridges. Unfortunately, the Stonelick Covered Bridge in Clermont County Ohio just a few miles from home took a tumble into the creek last week during restoration work!

Wife and I like to hunt down covered bridges - makes day trips or even week long trips interesting. Will be scouting out some of the western center Ohio bridges on a few days trip this spring. Just starting to map out the route.

Check out this web site if you are into checking out covered bridges: http://www.coveredbridgemap.com/
Shows covered bridge locations state by state.

Harold

[...Last spring I felt the need to stay away from the restaurant idea..]

You just had your honorary membership in GWRRA revoked! Their motto is "Ride to Eat."

It was actually to keep the wooden bridges from rotting so quickly. If you notice the roof and often sides were designed to keep the rain off the wooden structure. It must have worked as several have never been renovated or painted and they are still standing. A little crooked and sagging but pretty darn sturdy. I rode my bike through a few of them that were actually off the roadway. I was able to locate many of the bridges by going to Google Maps and searching for covered bridges near a particular city.

I seen a few of those bridges. Great pictures. I wish modern engineered bridges lasted so long!

Like Chuck, I enjoy taking pictures of old barns and have taken hundreds. I like the OLD, OLD ones though and stop all the time when I find one I haven't seen before or even ones I've taken pictures of in the past but under different lighting conditions, weather or time of year. I used to use 35mm film in black and white but my Nikon's not working but now I use a number of Digital cameras instead. Black and white pictures really make some things just more interesting.

Another subject I look for and enjoy is cemeteries and taking pictures of old and interesting tomb stones.

Sam:)

I've got a few barns.. I like the "Mail Pouch" painted barns. I always try to get pictures of those. There are many of them in our area. That's why the MSTA has their "Mail Pouch Fly By" rally near here all the time. And cemeteries are awesome also. There are many civil war and pre-civil war cemeteries in WV. One of the neatest ones I have been in is over at Romney WV. Maybe we should start a "Barns" thread ? LOL.

Back
Top Bottom