Discount on DayLong Saddles...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I just saw this on the LD Rider List:

"[LDRider] Russell Discount

Just got off of the phone with Kim at RDL and they are doing a 15% discount on saddles THIS WEEK ONLY!!!! She says that there are NO plans for a group buy this year and are doing the 15% discount instead for anyone who gets their order in by Friday close of business.

Oh, and yes, I got my production date (Oct. 15). She said that they are scheduling for the next couple of weeks already."

So, Don't Dither!!! If you've been thinking about a Russell, call 'em before Friday!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thank you. Thank you! THANK YOU!

I just took the photos they require and was going to wait until next week - but not now!

Did I say "Thanx, Phil"?

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I joined ld rider site and got the subcribed post, but do you think there will be a 20% around nov/dec? trying to get business with lower discount first then up it later?

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Who knows if another discount will be offered later? All I can say is they have offered 20% discounts in the past. Still, as the saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. I have just ordered a day-long for my FJR. I figure I'll get a sure 15% now rather then wait and hope for a 20% later. This will be my 4th day-long, The 1st one was back when Meyer built them, the others were from Russell who bought the design from Meyer. Obviously I like these seats.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Phil<

Why are you ordering again??? Is there a story here?

eldon

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
No story, Eldon. I'm not ordering again. The way I get on and off my bike with my bum knees, I drag my Cordura-clad leg across the seam on the right side of the saddle. It had started to fray before I left on the Epic Ride and I'd "fixed" it with liquid electrical tape. By the time I got to Madawaska, it was fraying in the area behind the part I'd fixed. I couldn't find any liquid electrical tape and bought some goop that said it "fixed" torn leather/vinyl/etc. It held it closed during the Ride, but looks like heck and is starting to peel off the saddle.

So I'm going to send my saddle to Russell so that they can recover the front part of the saddle and invent a seam that doesn't wear out so easily.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
No story, Eldon. I'm not ordering again. The way I get on and off my bike with my bum knees, I drag my Cordura-clad leg across the seam on the right side of the saddle. It had started to fray before I left on the Epic Ride and I'd "fixed" it with liquid electrical tape. By the time I got to Madawaska, it was fraying in the area behind the part I'd fixed. I couldn't find any liquid electrical tape and bought some goop that said it "fixed" torn leather/vinyl/etc. It held it closed during the Ride, but looks like heck and is starting to peel off the saddle.

So I'm going to send my saddle to Russell so that they can recover the front part of the saddle and invent a seam that doesn't wear out so easily.
When I get on and off my bike I've always stood on the ground and put/pulled my leg over the seat. I can still do this, though the day I can't may not be far in the future. I've seen numerous guys and gals get more clearance by standing on the left footpeg when mounting/dismounting the bike. Picture using the footpeg like a stirrup on a horse saddle. This might help your "dragging your ... leg" across the saddle problem.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've seen numerous guys and gals get more clearance by standing on the left footpeg when mounting/dismounting the bike. Picture using the footpeg like a stirrup on a horse saddle. This might help your "dragging your ... leg" across the saddle problem.
Doesn't work for me, Rich. I've had five knee replacements and the 3rd right knee just won't bend more than 90-degrees. If I'm standing on the left footpeg I'm stuck forever and ever. Amen. :)

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Phil,

OK, I can understand that! I too have a bit of trouble getting mounted , and dismounted, especially when packed for the road!. But I 'm not ready for the alternate yet!

Eldon

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Received my new Daylong seat today. Was able to try it out before my 55 mile ride to work to get French fries about 10 mile round trip. Good thing I did, now sitting up higher, had to adjust my screen up 1 notch, getting too much wind on my helmet. I know I'm at least 1" higher, maybe 2". Feels better in my legs, but it did change the feel of riding enough that it seems like a new bike to learn all over again. You can just sense that different "feel" of how and when to lean. I also have the driver backrest. When I put my feet down, can feel the seat wings, also a different feel. It should be much better of a ride, even @ 55miles one way work commute would feel uncomfortable.

EDIT: NT seat is a S-3 price for Russell Daylong

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
The seat height is higher, That would not be good for me. I do not believe I could be flat footed with the seat 1" or more higher.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Got mine yesterday - and its broken my heart that I couldn't ride it today.

I actually had something more important to do. My wife and I went with our daughter and her husband to the doctor. Today was the day to find out - - and its a girl!

Yeah - the Day-Long is important - but not that important! I'll check it out on the commute tomorrow.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Comanche, congratulations on the GIRL! Much more important than a ride on a Russell!

Mine came back after being recovered yesterday. I haven't ridden it yet, because I don't expect it to have changed. But it sure looks better than it did and they moved the seams on the side of the rider's part of the seat enough that I don't think they'll wear as badly. I'll get a chance to ride it tomorrow.

I can flatfoot the bike with the stock saddle and can't with the Russell, Miairhead. I do get one foot down flat and with the other I can touch the ground with my toes. It's not quite as secure, but I've learned to be very careful about where I stop and haven't had any problems since I got the saddle.

Bike
Silver NT700V
The seat height is higher, That would not be good for me. I do not believe I could be flat footed with the seat 1" or more higher.
I could not flat foot either bike I've had. It is not the be all end all. I had to tip toe the NT with the stock seat, the LOW Sargent seat and with the RDL. Just have to pay a bit more attention coming to a stop. Firm tip toes are OK. On an angle I have plan which foot gets the job. The RDL will settle in a bit lower than as delivered. My builder was able to get me close to stock height. Talk to them. Actually, that is one of the main advantages of RDL, you will talk to the builder of your seat. BTW, for me, break in took about 2,000 miles so be patient.

Happy trails,

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, mine was about 1" higher. I would have to scoot forward to flat foot at a stop, but, after a while it became second nature. Well worth it.

Break in. Mine took almost exactly 1000mi to break in. And it was noticeable. One day I had a couple of minor hot spots. The next day nada. After that it was such that I ever even thought about my butt on any length of trip. Just settle back in and go.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I could not buy a seat I would have to scoot froward to put your feed down. 29-30 inch seam I guess mean no Daylong seat.
Yes the OEM seat seems okay till you ride 200 plus mile days, then you reach the limit of comfort. A seat that I could not sit on and put my feet flat is out for me. I got metal in my back and and tiptoeing in traffic would not be anything I would do.
That is one issue I have with having to send your pan in and getting a seat back you can not sit on, if you have to send it back, you out weeks without riding. Sending a seat in winter, okay you not riding, but you also won't know if it works for you till you ride on it.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I could not buy a seat I would have to scoot froward to put your feed down. 29-30 inch seam I guess mean no Daylong seat.
Miairhead, I don't have to scoot forward to get my left foot on the ground with my 28-29" inseam. If you'll come to Spearfish next summer, I'll let you try out my DayLong. :)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I will say that I don't move the NT backwards while sitting on the bike unless it's to move it downhill backwards into a parking space. My reverse gear is off the bike pushing backwards from the kickstand side.

MAC

The FJR is the only bike I have had to replace the seat on, my Valk and NT were perfect for me. As most seat builders will tell you, put on about 1000 miles as that's about the time it starts to break in and get cumfe. So, I put 2500 miles on my FJR seat, but still a no-go. My buddy has a RDL, made for him of course and that let me do around 130 miles before it had me moving around. I too had trouble touching with the wings, I had to slide forward and could only touch with the ball of my foot instead of flat footed. I then tried a Rick Meyers from my buddies son, that was a no-go after about 85 miles. I tested both seats for a good three days each. I saw on the FJR Forum guys talking about Seth Laam, Lamm custom seats in Cal. I called the shop and low and behold Seth anwsered the phone. He took all the time I needed to tell him what I wanted. I sent my seat out on July 1st and was riding on it the 17th, I call that good service because it took a week to get out there and a week back.
My first long ride on the seat was 633 miles the first day going down to NC, with three stops, breakfast and 2 gas stops. I must say my butt was loving it, no soreness or numness, I am a happy camper.

I did price a RDL, it was almost a $ 1000.00 bucks.

The Laam seat was $ 484.00 list but he discounted it to $ 440.00. The FJR is a two pice seat, so it cost a little more then a one pice seat. He also has a great warrenty.

Seth has worked for two big seat mfg, one for 17 years and the other 7 years building seats. He has been on his own now for about 2 years.

Might be some thing to think about, even at list it is still a lot cheaper then a RDL at discount. Just say-n.

Last edited:
Top Bottom