Disk Brake Lock Recommendation?

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I don't think anyone would steal a NT, it just not the type of bike that has great resale value for parts, etc. A brake lock will not keep your bike for being pushed over, or guard from other damage. I find the best thing is a travel cover I install when I leave the bike sitting out at motels etc.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Nothing like making a man feel good about the value of his bike. Chris, I think most of them are decent. I've even used a small padlock before. I used a piece of that fluorescent plum line to attach to the lock and my throttle just to alert myself it was on there. I've spent a lot of time in Seattle, and I sure would feel better about some kind of lock.

Sometimes the evil acts of others do not make any pragmatic sense to those of us who on the other end.
Len

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Any of the disc brake locks at Cycle Gear, or at a dealership, should work to keep someone for rolling your bike away. Just make sure you also get the "dummy" cord to remind you when it is installed...it can prevent some really embarrassing moments...:rolleyes1:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am not sure a disk brake lock adds much more security than your fork lock. You really need to chain it to something solid if you want a chance to keep it secure. On the other hand no one that knows what they are doing is going to steal an NT.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I was thinking my strategy would be to park next to an FJR or FZ1 also.
Yamaha sells maybe 2000 - 2500 FJR's per year in the U.S. So also not a high demand bike, but at least it isn't an orphan and it has some resale value. They are also really reliable, so there shouldn't be a great demand for spare parts. And they are too porky to make a good track bike.

An FZ1 or FZ6 on the other hand . . .

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I know you won't get it in time but probably the best chain lock in the world for a motorcycle is an Almax.

Always chain your bike to an immovable object and put a piece of fluorescent cord between the lock/chain and the brake or clutch lever (front wheel secured) or the rear grab rail (rear wheel secured - better).

The fluorescent cord has two purposes:

1. To remind you to remove the lock (DAMHIK :doh1:) Note you can (will) damage the brake discs as well as the bodywork and yourself, if you ride off without removing it.
2. To quickly show miscreants that the bike is secured and they should try an easier target.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Well at least the NT wasn't on the 10 Bikes list, which means it's not heavy or all that desirable to steal. :rofl1:Kind of double edged sword.

JQL

Bike
In the USA you don't really have to worry too much about your NT being stolen.

In Europe it's a popular bike for couriers and despatch riders...

If you bring your NT to Europe to tour, bring a good lock and chain with it.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I ended up buying the Xena XZZ6L alarm.

Chris
Just remember to use a bright yellow or orange string and tie it to the disk lock and your handlebars so when you get on the bike you remember to unlock it... there are some youtube videos of folks that forgot it was there.

JQL

Bike
The first time you forget you'll damage the discs. Once you've paid for new discs you'll always remember to put a fluorescent cord on the brake lever! (DAMHIK)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The first time you forget you'll damage the discs. Once you've paid for new discs you'll always remember to put a fluorescent cord on the brake lever! (DAMHIK)
I guess it depends on the bike. On a BMW R1100R it just put some really nasty gouges in the forks paint job and "field tested" the left head guard when the bike went on over... DAMHIK...:rolleyes1: I have a nice, bright orange, self coiling cord I use with mine now... Along with a bright red "Remove Before Flight" banner a riding partner thoughtfully provided after the incident with my BMW...

Top Bottom