Does anyone consider the Honda VFR1200F?

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
I read about people moving to Kawasakis, Yamahas, etc, after the NT700. My NT just passed the 50,000 mile level and I am starting to look around.

I found a perfect used ST1300 for a fair price. It is a nice freeway ride but is heavy at over 700 lbs.

Honda is offering their Africa Twin for preorder but even the dealers don't know the price. I am assuming about $11,000 but the bike uses a chain.

Honda still has non-current (2013s) VFR1200F's at a $3,000 discount. That should take them below $12,000. They are as light as the NT but have a lot more power. The shaft drive is a plus but the weather protection isn't nearly as good as the ST 1300. Has anyone thought about the VFR as an NT replacement? I may jump if I don't like the Africa Twin.

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/vfr1200f/specifications.aspx

Added 08/21

I agree with the NT needing 20 HP and one more gear. That is what I am trying to fix. I use the NT for commuting (20 miles one way) now but retire in January. The plan is to do some light touring. The weather is generally nice enough to ride all year. Southern Idaho is pretty open and the freeways are signed for 80 MPH. The NT engine is really revving at that speed. The heavy ST does freeway very well. The VFR does too, but my aging body wasn't too comfortable with the riding position. The Africa Twin seems to be a light-weight compromise but I dislike chains. Oh well. Maybe I'll take the freeway but just drive slower? .

SuperDave in smokey southern Idaho.

Last edited:
The only people I know with VFR1200F really like them. They don't look like a bike I'd like.

The VFR is more sport than tour, however someone riding sport bikes would say the opposite. LOL

Traction control is great to have, especially on a wet road when a situation YOU can't possibly react to fast enough occurs. That's happened to me on the Super Tenere and the TC did it's job before I even understood what was happening and kept the bike from spinning out under me. It was a very well-driven and smooth-as-glass back road in TX during a light rain. The rear end started sliding and then the bike corrected itself and all in the time it took my brain to say "I'm sliding" and then I wasn't. On that same trip a day later my friend totaled his wing on a similar road - no TC on the wing. While I don't think TC is necessary, I'm glad to have it and will opt for the pkg that has it if that's an option. I feel more serious about ABS, I will no longer own a bike without it, just my preference.

As for gas mileage and range - well it is almost twice the size of the NT and pretty darn powerful so you do pay for performance in most cases and most bikes these days seem to target the 200 mpt (miles-per-tank) range. It was always tough to go from and ST1300 with anywhere from 300-350 range to anything else, I think only the GS Adventure or MG Stelvio have an 8-ish gallon tank. The ST is pretty rock solid but I'm a bit biased.. LOL

As for chain-driven bikes, yeah it does take a little more effort to make sure you lube it and it is more messy but it's a heck of a lot easier to find a new chain on the road than a new final drive if one fails - which doesn't happen much with Honda's...

The CTX1300 is actually a pretty sharp looking bike in my opinion and worth looking at.

Good luck on your search and let us know what other bikes you're thinking about.

No question that it is a sweet bike and there may be some good deals, but it doesn't fit me well. One of the big reasons I have an NT is the comfort and ergos. It has the right combination of protection and the right ergonomics for me.

I'd love the power and engine of the VFR and the handling too. Those who have them love them. I've met a lot of VFR riders who try to talk me into one. But at my age I can't bend my body into a configuration that matches that bike for more than an hour or two. Besides I'd get myself into trouble if I had more power.

No question that it is a sweet bike and there may be some good deals, but it doesn't fit me well. One of the big reasons I have an NT is the comfort and ergos. It has the right combination of protection and the right ergonomics for me.

I'd love the power and engine of the VFR and the handling too. Those who have them love them. I've met a lot of VFR riders who try to talk me into one. But at my age I can't bend my body into a configuration that matches that bike for more than an hour or two. Besides I'd get myself into trouble if I had more power.
You do tend to have a mean streak...new site banner:
IMG_20150708_160844-L.jpg

You do tend to have a mean streak...new site banner:
IMG_20150708_160844-L.jpg

Some people are not to be trusted with fast motorcycles. Some people demonstrate that they are not to be trusted with cameras.

I also considered the VFR a few years ago. It has most of the 'right' stuff in a bike design that I would like, but, does it fit you. Get on it and try it before you decide. Many folks like the "semi-sport' riding position and can do long hours on them. Most of them want wind protection that only goes up to their chin. The VFR is perfect for that. If it fits you then go for it.

The ST is very different than the VFR which is are both a huge difference with the Africa Twin.

So, I would ask what you want from your bike? Long distance touring in all weather? Commuting? Speed in the canyons? Sunday rides? Those answers will tell more about what you might want to buy.

Adv bikes are becoming more popular for touring. 21 of the 73 bikes in this year's Iron Butt rally were Adv bikes (including the oldest bike and the one with the most miles on it). Adv bikes like the Vstrom, SuperTenere, Beemer GS, Tiger, Stelvio are providing more and more weather protection and have very good, long travel suspensions. If you are tall enough for them they might be what you are looking for. The Super10, Stelvio and Beemer have shaft drive too.

Sadly many of the sport touring bikes do not have as good a suspension off the showroon as their Adv brothers. But, they do tend to have better wind/weather protection (and sometimes more power).

Weight is an issue mainly if you commute or do short errands a lot on your bike. If you are mainly touring the weight is less of an issue. The NT and, if you can stand the ergos, the Beemer F800GT are the only two 'light' touring bikes on the market. You might include the Guzzi Norge in that since it is under 600lb as well.

Me? Well, I would have kept the NT 'if it had 20 more hp and 6 speeds' :D :D :D It was just right in about every other way. Not too heavy. Decent in corners. Horrible sounding exhaust :) Good for around town or 1000mile days. Cruises nicely at well above the speed limits or toodles along on a backroad at 55mph. With aftermarket windshield, hand guards, and lower cowl it has really good wind/weather protection.

Since the NT was not exactly what I wanted, I just fixed up my Goose :)

If I were to buy now I don't know what I would go to. I almost did buy another bike and was leaning heavily toward an ST or Beemer RT. Just could not justify it to myself. And every time I take the Goose out on a long ride it reminds me how nicely it handles everything.

I think the VFR is one of the coolest bikes around and beautiful to boot. My only knock is as Joe stated, its really more sporty than toury. You sit in that quasi 3/4 position like a sport bike, so...

But it is way cool

I'll file a dissenting viewpoint on the VFR1200. I think it shows more attention to style than function, even compared to bikes like the Ducati Diavel which is a "stylin'" bike. Honda may call it a "sport-tourer" but it doesn't fit my definition of sport-touring. It's range is too short, it doesn't have the comfortable ergonomics that a good sport-tourer has and it's just got features that to me are weird.

For example there's a "vent" at the lower corner of the windscreen that goes absolutely nowhere. It just lets air into a closed chamber. Honda brags about their "layered concept fairing" and it may well do a good job, but why have a vent that doesn't?

I agree it's a pretty bike, but it's just not very functional, IMNSHO.

The range that real people report on fuelly.com is mostly 130-150 miles, and no one is squeezing 200 miles from a tank. That's just not good enough for commuting or touring back highways. No deal.

"I have this mental standard in my mind that eliminates many motorcycles from serious consideration. If the mpg can't exceed 40 mpg, then I just can't get excited about it."

And get more than 200 mile range per tank.

I've got a 2010 VFR 1200f with the DCT . Usually about 170 ish miles my last bar on the LCD fuel gauge is blinking , you have about one gallon of fuel left at that point. I have taken it over 200 mi with that last bar blinking before and praying for the last 20 mi. When I run it to what I think should be pretty much dry , most times I have about 1/2 gal left. As for the fairings , they are very unique .ive got the factory windscreen with the Honda accessory sport shield in the upmost position and the accessory hand deflectors. I have never experienced any buffeting of any kind at any speed , 0-145 and in between . Most of my chest and arms are protected from the wind , hands not completely but have heated grips. Pretty much entire helmet is catching wind. If I remember right Honda created the entire bodywork in a wind tunnel to cause positive and negative wind pressures in certain areas and direct the wind coming into , around, above , below and reforming air behind the bike to make stability and downforce. This bike is glued to the road at 65 MPH . Felt head and crosswinds are almost nonexistent. At 120 MPH it's like you are on a guidewire, extremely stable with no drama . Ride position is not as lay down as the CBR's, pegs not as high and bars not as low and forward . I am 50 years old and I can do about one and a half hour stints befor I'm looking to take a break . As for long distance touring , you could get one for that as long as you don't have weather and much over thirty years of age to deal with .image.jpg

Most of the time I do not go more than 150mi between fill ups. And I do not usually ride more than 90min between stops.

If I got one of these for touring I would make allowance for an extra bit of fuel on it somewhere, either a custom aux tank or carry a 1gal or so container. Just for those times when gas stations are not where I think they will be.

A SPORT-tourer like the VFR (or my Sprint) has a lot going for it, but you'll want to be ready to spend some money making it more comfortable. The VFR has almost exactly the same stock ergos as my Triumph, so here is what I have done so far: pegs lowered 1.5 inches, bars raised 1.25 inches, heated grips and 3 different screens that I switch between depending on the ride and the expected weather and route. With these mods I have ridden through three full tanks of gas in a day - about 700 miles.

I looked at the VFR but bought the Sprint due to the touring range, price, luggage capacity and the grin that it put on my face. The chain drive has been a non-issue for the 15000 miles I have ridden in the last 10 months. I give it a half-hearted clean and lube every couple of weeks (if I remember) and when I did a stretch check yesterday I still have not yet needed to adjust it. Modern chains are so much better than the ones from the old days that a shaft drive is really just extra weight anymore.

With that in mind, if I were looking around for a new tourer I think the Yamaha FJ-09 would probably top my list of possibles. The luggage and windscreen shortcomings can probably be soon fixed by the aftermarket, the bike has pretty upright ergos and plenty of power, it comes with traction control and ABS and I hear that Yamaha has fixed the fueling issues that plagued the FZ. At under 500 pounds it would probably feel like a lightweight next to the bigger sport-tourers, as well.

Good luck with your search. There are a lot of great possibilities out there!

Last edited:
Changing bars and such is so 'normal' I forget about recommending that as an option sometimes. Even the Guzzi that I have is changed a lot. Stock bars but 2.5" risers. The seat is now about the same as stock (for a while it was about 1" lower).

And, changing the seat makes a world of difference on just about any bike. Wider, narrower, higher, lower, move back a bit or forward a bit. A custom is the way to go unless your body conforms to 'standard' dimensions (mine does not).

You can change a bike from almost any configuration to another if you put some work into it. Making a cruiser out of a sport bike might be difficult though :)

Back
Top Bottom