Does oil run uphill?

Curious to hear what the more informed about front forks have to say. As I have noted my NT has failed both fork seals in the past 500 miles. The left is now putting oil on the garage floor in quantity and I am wondering how this is happening. Is the oil under some kind of pressure at rest? The bike did this while sitting for the past week while I did other things. Thanks in advance.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The fork oil is pumped out and under the dust seal during riding and then seeps out and runs down the fork onto the floor. After you finish riding wipe off the sliders and the stanchions. Does two thing. Keeps the bug guts and dirt from drying on the stanchions and wipes any oil that might be seeping around the seal and dust cover. Also allows for a good look see if you need to replace seals. If it is leaking a little bit try a Seal Mate and clean the dirt from under the seals. Some times it helps. Some times it does not. See this thread http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?6673-Removing-the-front-fork-dust-seal-while-on-the-bike

Last edited:
Top Bottom