Does your engine smell hot at 80mph?

martin

Hi all, I have a 2002 NT650 with about 22000 miles on the clock. It runs perfectly and uses no oil. But at a constant 80mph, when I stop, the engine smells quite hot as if something is slightly melting. Is this normal?

Don't know that we'll be able to help you much, Martin. There aren't any Deauville 650s on this side of the pond as far as I know. I do know that nothing on the bike smells hot after extended periods at 80-85 in temps of 100-108F -- except for the rider. I rode several hundred miles last Wednesday in those conditions across South Dakota.

I've gotten some of these "hot" smells but not at speed. Usually I get them when slogging along at 30 MPH in 100+ heat on the freeway. Can't always tell if its the bike or nearby cars.

Martin,

Do you have an aftermarket lower fairing, like a Skidmarx on your NT650? I could smell "cooking" fiberglass off of my Skidmarx lowers on a very hot day in heavy traffic...

It didn't smell funny, but I did notice that when I was doing 85 in 105F temps last Tuesday, the temperature gauge stayed about 1/2 a needle-width above the half-way mark. I've never seen that when I was moving before.

It didn't smell funny, but I did notice that when I was doing 85 in 105F temps last Tuesday, the temperature gauge stayed about 1/2 a needle-width above the half-way mark. I've never seen that when I was moving before.

Mine often did that a couple of weeks ago in similar circumstances. It would generally do that at higher altitude (5000+ ft) and higher temperatures (~100 deg). Never went above that point, however, so I didn't worry about it.

I didn't worry either. I think it would be interesting to know if the fan comes on whenever it gets that hot even if you're moving down the road at 85 like I was. My guess is that it does, but I can't imagine that it would make any difference. The temperature never got above that point.

Several people mentioned that they'd felt heat coming off the engine; I can't say that I did, but I was wearing LD Comfort long johns and my Aerostitch Roadcrafter.

That's the reason Phil, If you had been wearing mesh pants like I was wearing, you would have felt heat. When we had that fun cross wind, my upwind side felt warm, my downwind side felt hot air from the engine & radiator.

Ken, another reason I won't wear mesh pants, then.

It was good riding with you and seeing you again!

I have to agree with Sam, my commute home ends with a mile of dirt road and a pretty steep hill that gets my radiator fan going, but I do not get any smells. Did notice slight burnig smells after hours on the freeway during a trip to Wisconsin when I stopped but not too bad. No ill effects.

That's the reason Phil, If you had been wearing mesh pants like I was wearing, you would have felt heat. When we had that fun cross wind, my upwind side felt warm, my downwind side felt hot air from the engine & radiator.

I 100% agree. I really noticed this on my trip to and home from Spearfish. The side winds were high and temps were high, so I could really feel the engine heat through the mesh riding pants on the downwind side. When there was no strong wind I didn't feel any heat.

I too noticed a "hot" smell coming from the engine when I would stop during those hot days. Not sure what was causing it, but it wasn't oil or coolant leaks. Those I am familiar with. It was more of just a "hot metal" smell. Maybe it was the bugs in the radiator getting burned off?

Thanks for all your help. I was going to change the coolant at the next service so might change the pump gasket as well. I don't seem to loose any coolant between services and the fan comes on OK. Old bikes like mine don't have a temperature gauge, just a temperature light that comes on before it overheats, so I don't know exactly how hot it is getting. I did notice some 'oil' type marks on the front exhaust downtube which came off with a little metal polish, but havn't returned so what ever it was has stopped. Could be related to the smell. If it is oil, it is a very small quantity as I don't notice any drop in oil level between services (about 4000 miles).

Back
Top Bottom