dont you get hot? windshield adjustment

Bike
2010 Red NT700
OK... I am in my mid 50s so I am about the same age as many riders here. I can't help but notice in most pics that many of you ride with your windscreen either all the way up or in pos#4...
After much futzing and experimentation, I have decided that unless its cold or rainy I have to have mine all the way down to get max airflow to my torso, even when its 100-plus degrees.
I have even decided I can't put on the hand/air deflector kit, as I dont want to give up any more airflow than I already have.

So please explain your rationale re giving up so much airflow?
Is there something I dont know or understand?

Clay

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Clay, I personally like relatively quiet conditons. I wear an Aerostitch Roadcrafter 1-piece suit (until it gets really cold and then I wear a Roadgear two-piece suit with insulated liners zipped in). I have the wind deflectors on my bike and find that I'm comfortable on the road as long as I've got the cuffs unzipped on the 'Stitch and my armpit, back, and hip vents open. The sleeves of the 'Stitch funnel air up my arms and the moving air inside the suit keeps me comfortable. Around town, when it's in the 90s and 100s like it's been this summer, I have to confess that I don't wear my suit or even my mesh jacket. The mesh doesn't let enough air move at around-town speeds.

On the road on the hot days, when it's above the low '90s, I'm much more comfortable with the suit on as long as I stay well-hydrated. I've found that too much hot air moving over my skin, dehydrates me and really zaps me.

Others won't agree with me, but as long as I've got plenty of fluid, I'm OK at temps up near 110F.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
In town when its hot I ride with the screen all the way down to get the airflow. On the road I ride with it all the way up to reduce the wind buffeting and to catch the bugs on the screen rather than my face mask. I don't like all that green and yellow gunk 2" from my eyes.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
For the first year I had my NT I kept the windshield all the way down most of the time. I still do if I know I am in town and speeds are under 60mph. I am tall enough that I get enough buffeting at my helmet when the screen is all the way down when speeds approach interstate speeds. It is amazing how much quieter it is with the shield up. In the preferred position I still look over the screen and feel like I get plenty of air flow, but don't have the air beating on my helmet.

I have the cee bailey +2 now. I think I had less buffeting with the stock screen all the way down and probably why I used to ride that way more often.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I've been riding with the windscreen all the way down for the most part. It's rain only that causes me to raise it up and cut down on road spray hitting the front of my jacket. I wear ear plugs anyway and it's plenty quiet. I do have the deflectors because they help in the colder weather and they really don't come off and on. But I do change gloves per conditions. I have fully mesh, light-colored gloves for warm summer days. It's basically a bit cool here most mornings in the summer and I wind up switching gloves as the day warms up.

Of course, 90 degree days are rare here and 100 degrees almost unheard of. But this strategy worked fine for me in my sojourn through such heat in UT, CO, WY, and MT in June/July.

I'm also famed among my friends for heat and cold tolerance, so one must consider we're all different in that respect.

tawilke46

I am 5'9" tall and have a CeeBailey +4 on my NT. Normal riding up two clicks from bottom position. Gives me some air over the top to put flow around the helmet vents. In real hot weather may lower it one notch. Looking over the windscreen has the obvious disadvantage of bugs on you face shield. If I am riding in town in hot temps I put the w/s all the way down.
On the Interstate will maybe raise one or two notches more.

Guess it is what you are comfortable with. I have the CB windscreen+2 and ride with it all the way up. For me it is a matter of wind noise or the lack thereof. I am shall we say not unfamilair with summer heat and humidity and live by my old Phoenix 1.0 mesh jacket to this day. Combined with a full face helmet there is more than a little heat to deal with on a sunny day but the aforementioned setup works for me. Having had a ST13 I found the NT a improvement in several ways including getting a bit more air at the expense of a smaller but adequet quiet zone. I do make a habit of wearing light colored riding gear top to bottom. Seems to help. Also you may note that the seat/tank junction can get a little hot and add to the discomfort. There are a lot of ways to deal with this mentioned on the forum.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I had a Cee Bailey +2 "flip" windshield and normally rode on the highway with it in the center, or Number 3, position. In that position it was just below my line of sight and with the "flip" it kept the air from buffeting my helmet and most of the bugs flying over me. In Atlanta stop and go commuting I always "slapped" the windshield all the way down for maximum airflow...even in the rain.

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
In town when its hot I ride with the screen all the way down to get the airflow. On the road I ride with it all the way up to reduce the wind buffeting and to catch the bugs on the screen rather than my face mask.
I agree with Warren. I have only had my NT for a short time and it is a very warm motorcycle with the widscrren in positions 4 or 5. I go down to #2 when it is warm.

I ride all year so I trust that I will appreciate the weather protection in the months to come.

Dave

Visited SuperDave.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I got a bike with a full fairing so I would NOT get wind blowing on me. I got a CB +6 windshield (yes, 6 inches TALLER than stock) to give me even less flow. I wanted a bike that was quiet. I spend more time riding trying to stay warm than worried about being hot. I commute at 6am and temps are usually in the 60's. The ride home it will be in the 90's. I have ridden when it was over 100, but, it is not comfortable, even on a naked bike.

If you want air on your torso then get a naked bike. Heck, even the little fairing on my Guzzi blocks the air flow to my torso.

FWIW, once I am on the highway the NT works well. There is enough air movement to keep me as cool as I can be under the circumstances.

And, during the winter it is nice to have that fairing. :)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
For me it's not about the temp. I just plain LOVE the feel of the wind. The only times my screen goes above the lowest setting is in a heavy rain or when my wife is on back and asks for it to be up. She says she can feel a big difference in buffeting on gusty days. Then again I don't ride in 110 degree temps or 500 miles a day like some of these other guys.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I guess I fail to understand why someone would get a full fairing when they want to feel the blast of the wind? If I wanted to feel the wind the NTis the last bike I'd consider. But, that's why there are choices.

I guess I fail to understand why someone would get a full fairing when they want to feel the blast of the wind? If I wanted to feel the wind the NTis the last bike I'd consider. But, that's why there are choices.
Just for informational purposes if I let the windshield full down on my NT with the 2 inch rise I may not get the true sport bike experience but there is more than enough air to make a real mess of your face shield and jacket. Fun for the occasional fling but not my comfort zone.

Bike
2010 NT700V
The main idea is the radiator theory. But in this case the radiator is your body. Keeping yourself well hydrated, with a healthy cardiovascular system that sweats will provide more moisture wicking with the windshield down. Your sweat carries heat away. This works well when the outside tempurature is less than your normal body temperature 98 degrees.

If the temp is over 100 degrees, I recommend riding under gear made by LDcomfort.com . The Website looks terrable but a long-sleeve black shirt and some riding underwear is all you need to ride in the worst heat conditions. Before you ride, soak your shirt in the sink, then squeeze most of the excess water out. The shirt acts like an entire upper body radiator! This will be a huge improvement vs your normal armpits and middle back natural cooling. Put the wet shirt on and ride in comfort till it dries out. Then just soak it again. Beware at night, comfortalble 110 degree riding during the day, can get cold with a wet out fit even at 80 degrees.

Hope this helps

PS. The under wear works great for any activity in hot weather. I use it for wild land fire fighting:)

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have a CB =2 Flip and I run it one notch up in dry weather and bottomned in the rain. I also have the deflectors. Last week I ran into a wicked rainstorm and was able to appreciate the PR-3 Tires and the windshield and deflectors. I also have an undercowl. I cranked my speed up to 65, and after 15 minutes in this downpour, I came out dry--except for a four inch high horizontal stripe of wet. The Turtle wax ICE on the bike,windshield , and helmet, made the bike, windshield, and helmet shed water like a duck. My helmet was wet on the inside--but that was perspiration. It has been hot and muggy with dew points in the 70s.

Every time I ride this bike, I appreciate it more.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Just for informational purposes if I let the windshield full down on my NT with the 2 inch rise I may not get the true sport bike experience but there is more than enough air to make a real mess of your face shield and jacket. Fun for the occasional fling but not my comfort zone.
There's where we're all a bit different. With the +2 shield in this position the wind hits the helmet, but none of my torso. I've been riding with mine just like that since the end of June, including a trip back from Colorado to Washington State and ever since - something over 2,000 miles now and not a single bug-gob on my jacket anywhere. Face shield is a different matter, but that's easily dealt with.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
This is a great article which I read carefully before my cross country trip in major heat. I wish I had paid more attention to the chart on minimum water intake to replace evaporation.

When I was riding across Nevada in 106 degree temps, I felt light headed and fuzzy in my thinking- fortunately I recognized the sympton and pulled over and had a couple of gator aides at a gas station/mini mart. And this despite having a camel back in my tank bag and sipping on it fairly regularly but not enough to replace what I was losing to evaporation(with a mesh jacket). According to the chart, I should have been drinking about 3 quarts every 4 hrs which I wasn't doing. In dry heat you are never aware of sweating and I don't feel thirsty.... only sign was the scary sign of light headedness. not good. Live and learn... fortunately I lived and have learned. Pay attention to this chart if your in desert heat and have a mesh jacket!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
You can get them with an airbag. I am sure an AC is not far behind. Maybe they will also add a couple of more wheels to it for stability and call it a Civic :)

Top Bottom