DR650 in the High Country, Last time this year.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Decided that today was probably the last time I could take my DR650 up into the High Country. Winter is just around the corner and the High Peaks have a bit of dusting of snow on them. Was able to get up to about 11,500 ft. before the trail ended. Well above tree line. This time I rode up with a DR buddy of mine. Good thing, as he dropped his bike and struggled to pick it up by himself. The Aspen and leaf trees were in full color today. Beautiful. I am very fortunate to have the Mountains in my motorcycle back yard.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Looks like a fun outing Chuck. Great weather too.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chuck, I'm glad you went with a buddy. The odds on both of you dropping your bikes off the mountain and both having to walk out are infinitesimal. :)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
We just got back from a 2 week motorcycle trip out to CO. We rode all over the state. We were fortunate to catch the start of the Aspen's changing color and mostly avoid the winter weather in the upper passes (one small snow fall came through while we were there).

Unfortunately, due to the horrible flooding in Boulder and then the snow fall, we weren't able to visit RMNP. Guess we'll just have to go back to CO another time. We're looking forward to it!

CO amazed us at its varied and beautiful scenery. Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like Thursday/Friday will bring a bit of snow to the higher elevations. Winter is quickly closing in!

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Beautiful photos as always. Thanks for taking us along.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Great ride Chuck. I am still commuting to work on my NT, 35 miles one way in the beautiful Colorado High Country. The morning ride is a little cold, heated gloves on high, has been 30-33 degrees when I leave. BUT THE RIDE HOME! Colors this year have been spectacular and I really cannot remember a year when they held out so long so late in the year. Winter is closing in though and at the altitude I live at even the warm and sunny days do not let the NT out once in for the winter untill late March due to a lot of snow.
Rob, if you come out to CO again look me up, a lot of nice roads and scenery around here.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Great ride Chuck. I am still commuting to work on my NT, 35 miles one way in the beautiful Colorado High Country. The morning ride is a little cold, heated gloves on high, has been 30-33 degrees when I leave. BUT THE RIDE HOME! Colors this year have been spectacular and I really cannot remember a year when they held out so long so late in the year. Winter is closing in though and at the altitude I live at even the warm and sunny days do not let the NT out once in for the winter untill late March due to a lot of snow.
Rob, if you come out to CO again look me up, a lot of nice roads and scenery around here.
You aren't kidding about the roads and scenery.
We rode right through Basalt while we were staying in Gunnison. Out of Gunnison we went east on US50, north on US285, then turned on CO82 and went over Independence pass and into Basalt. We turn on CO133 into Hoctchkiss and then took CO92 back to US50 and into Gunnison. Nice little ride and the Aspens were just starting to turn.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hi Rob. which bikes did you ride out there?? sounds like your trip was magnificent.
We both rode on the Wing. For these really long trips, my wife prefers the comfort of the Wing where she can concentrate on the scenery. :D We had a really great trip and really lucked out with the weather.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Great photos Chuck. You trail guys are far braver than me and get some just reqards for it. Thanks for posting. Be careful. My Colorado Springs friends had two bears in their front yard the other day.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Rob, I am 15 miles east of Basalt next to a good size lake, the 15 mile drive is well worth the drive for the scenery alone. Looks like today may be the last day of spectacular fall colors as cold temps and snow coming in tonight.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
Rob, I am 15 miles east of Basalt next to a good size lake, the 15 mile drive is well worth the drive for the scenery alone. Looks like today may be the last day of spectacular fall colors as cold temps and snow coming in tonight.
One last trip to the Village Smithy on the bike? Yummmm!!!

Top Bottom