Dreaming of the Super Tenere

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have liked the SuperTen ever since I saw the first announcement. When they first came out they were scarce and I wasn't in a good position to buy one. Now that I have had my DR650 for more than a year, I keep finding myself thinking the SuperTen could be my street bike, and the DR could be set up for more nasty stuff.

I have read Katherine's great review here and like her have long legs (36" inseam here). I have sat on a S10 at the local dealer and found it to have more leg room than the NT. I think the S10 would also suit the rough roads I keep finding myself on. Even the asphalt I am routinely on is rough and sometimes the NT seems unsettled while the DR650 just soaks it up.

I write this with mixed feelings. I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences, but I literally feel guilty. I love, I mean reeaallly love my NT. It has more than met my expectations. I would just like it if it was taller and the suspension dealt with bad roads better. If the S10 was more affordable I would simply buy it and keep the NT, but if I did that the NT would just sit in the garage too much. I rode it to work today and was able to park it where I could see it from my office window. I keep glancing out the window thinking how much I like it and want to keep it. I know if I get rid of it I will miss it. I feel bad just thinking about selling it.

I know Joe traded his in for a new Vstrom, but there are 2 or 3 other former NT owners that have or had S10s. Can those of you that had an NT and now have an S10 give a long term review? How do you feel about it now that you have had it awhile.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Kevin, Jim Moore (the guy from Nebraska who was at Spearfish) has an S10 along with his NT. I haven't noticed him on the Forum lately-- you might send him an email. He really likes it.

If I could fit one of the adventure bikes, it would probably be the one I'd get.

OP
OP
artemedes
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Paul,
I know you say you only ride it on pavement. Have you had both the NT and S10 on some rough paved roads? How does the suspension compare. We have lots of uneven pavement with bulges and dips and broken bits. The NT does okay, but it is part of the reason I do most of my running around with the DR. It is actually fun on the rough asphalt.

Thanks

Kevin, The Tenere definitely handles rough roads and dirt roads better than the NT, there is more leg room but it is not as agile on the pavement still very suprising. When your here for the rally maybe coming or going you can swing by Whitney and take it for a ride. jim

One concern about the S10 is cost creep as you accessorize. Do note that the side bags are about $500 each and Yamaha recommends that the tailbag not be used with the side bags.
So a little choice there. Then there is heated grips for another $500 or so. And then the engine guard for $400 or so. And a bigger windshield for $200 or so. Starting to get into the range of some other bikes now.

Top Bottom