Drivetrain "grab"

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
Does the grabbing happen again when re-engaging the clutch? A very small amount of excess free play caused this on my GL650.
If the Rotella reformulation was more than two years ago, it's not an issue. I've had it in two vintage (80s) bikes that long with no problems.
When replacing a clutch cable, be sure to apply a proper cable lube. New cables ship oiled to prevent corrosion, but it's not a long term lubricant. I prefer Tri-Flo.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Thanks for all the tips everyone. Sorry I'm a little slow to respond, I've had a major change at work, and weather has been snowy and in the twenties. I got new oil, just to rule an oil problem out. (Who really knows what's in the sump of a used bike). I guess I should change the filter too, although it's a nice Honda one and only on there for a thousand miles or so per the service log. The next time I fire it up, I will change the oil and check, lubricate, and adjust the clutch cable. It'll be tough to test for the condition until it warms up, as I only have a few feet to roll in my barn.

Thanks again, I'll update when I can tinker. Also, the bike is totally rideable, and I put a few hundred miles on it in the few rides I took before winter. Only acts odd on initial startup from a 0mph stop as you let the lever out.

Top Bottom