Dropped something in gas tank.

MrSinator

I was adding some LucasOil ethanol stabilizer to a full tank this morning on the way to work. The breeze caught the little paper seal under the cap of the bottle and blew it right into the tank and it immediately sank. Based on the the fuel pump design of other bikes I've had that did not have in-line fuel filters, I'm hoping the strainer (I hope it has one) would catch the paper seal and keep it from stopping fuel flow and burning up my pump. Is anyone familiar with the fuel pump design of the NT's? Does it have a decent sized strainer? I live in an apartment complex and have to keep the bike outside so service has to wait until a sunny day. 60 miles on the odometer so there's still too much gas in the tank to see deep inside. I'm hoping that once I get the fuel low enough to see in there, I can fish it out with a piece of wire or maybe one of those long tweezer-type tools from AutoZone. I don't have the tools or environment to go pulling the tank off and removing the fuel pump here in the parking lot. Do you think it will be okay to ride on for about another week until I can get it in my parents' garage and take a good look at it or should I go ahead and break it down? It rode fine to work and back. If it has a large strainer like my old Suzuki did, then I'm not going to sweat it as that usually isn't cleaned or replaced unless the pump itself is replaced but will still try to get it out when I can.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I was adding some LucasOil ethanol stabilizer to a full tank this morning on the way to work. The breeze caught the little paper seal under the cap of the bottle and blew it right into the tank and it immediately sank. Based on the the fuel pump design of other bikes I've had that did not have in-line fuel filters, I'm hoping the strainer (I hope it has one) would catch the paper seal and keep it from stopping fuel flow and burning up my pump. Is anyone familiar with the fuel pump design of the NT's? Does it have a decent sized strainer? I live in an apartment complex and have to keep the bike outside so service has to wait until a sunny day. 60 miles on the odometer so there's still too much gas in the tank to see deep inside. I'm hoping that once I get the fuel low enough to see in there, I can fish it out with a piece of wire or maybe one of those long tweezer-type tools from AutoZone. I don't have the tools or environment to go pulling the tank off and removing the fuel pump here in the parking lot. Do you think it will be okay to ride on for about another week until I can get it in my parents' garage and take a good look at it or should I go ahead and break it down? It rode fine to work and back. If it has a large strainer like my old Suzuki did, then I'm not going to sweat it as that usually isn't cleaned or replaced unless the pump itself is replaced but will still try to get it out when I can.
Should not have to worry, never had the NT pump out but if it is any thing like a ST1300 pump it has what looks like a bundle of steal wool as a pick up strainer and then there is also a filter inline with that.

OP
OP

MrSinator

The little paper seal is about the size of a dime. I haven't picked up a service manual yet and haven't been able to find a single picture of what the pump looks like, only parts diagrams that don't list the strainer as a separate part. I was shocked to see that little paper seal sink like a rock straight to the bottom left side of the tank. I was hoping the NT had a strainer since it would be picking that thing up off the bottom of the tank. Since it did fine riding this morning (I didn't have much choice being halfway to work already) I'm not super worried about it. I know gas tanks will inevitably have hair, dust, small gravel, bug parts, etc. fall into them at some point, but something this lightweight and having a flat, solid surface had me a little concerned about it stopping fuel flow. My closest garage to park in and work on it is at my parents' house, 2.5 hours away. Plus, this bike sees at least 200 miles/week just to work and back as it is a commuter and my toy. I have a good friend that sold me the bike and works in the parts department of a Honda dealership checking up on it to see if he can find out exactly how big the strainer is. I'll be sure to post his response once he checks it out for everyone else's future reference.

rcase13

I dropped a socket extension in my tank last week. If you tilt the tank up and rest it on the handlebar you can see straight down into the bottom of the tank. Fuel is pretty clear so you should be able to see the seal. I used a magnetic pick-up that I bought from Lowe's to retrieve it. You will need a mechanical pickup. The owners manual on page 100 outlines the process. It's actually not too difficult and can be done with minimal tools. You basically remove the two front pockets (easy) and lift the tank up (easy). It took me about 30 minutes from start to finish. You don't need to remove the tank and you don't need to disconnect any lines.

Good Luck!

OP
OP

MrSinator

I got lucky! I went out this morning and looked in the tank and there it sat, right next to the fuel pump. I cut off a piece of brass wire from a coat hanger and ground a point on the end of it. Took a couple of tries to get it up the slope of the tank but once I got it to the top, I speared it with the coat hanger and got it out. I feel so relieved now, lol.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Something little like that can just drive you crazy, can't it? Glad you got it out.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Something little like that can just drive you crazy, can't it? Glad you got it out.
Ain't it the truth!!?? That little sliver of foil probably would have NEVER caused ANY problems, but just "knowing" it was in there would have driven me crazy.

Mike

Top Bottom