East Coast NT Round Up (9/29 - 10/2 / 2011)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I was in the neighborhood (8.5 miles east of Deals Gap at Fontana Village...which, BTW, is a very nice place to stay with a hotel, cabins, campgrounds, and a couple of good eating choices...in 2008, when the Concours Owners Group National Rally was held there). If I were at Deals Gap and wanted to spend the 2nd day riding bunches of great roads this is what I'd do. (The thumbnail isn't a great map, but this is the route I'd do in text form:

Deals Gap: East on 28 to Jct w/ 143; SW to Robbinsville; Right on 129 to beginning of Cherahola Skyway (which enjoys several different road designations to Tellico Plains. There's a good sandwich-type eating place east of Tellico Plains just before the twisties of the Skyway start as you'd head back east on the Skyway. The Skyway is like Deals Gap, it deserves riding in both directions.

Back in Robbinsville, take 129 back SE out of town till you get to US-74, then north on 74 just a dab till you get to NC-1310. Follow 1310 to the west edge of Franklin, then north out of Franklin back up on 28 (which is also US-19 for a few miles) back to Deals Gap. It's 228 miles and will take you, according to Streets & Trips, 5 hours and 25 minutes. According to my experience, it's a good long day ride.

Great roads...twisties, sweepers, views, water... it was fun on a Connie, but would be totally awesome on an NT.

Last edited:

maupen

Thank you Phil! I will try to add this route to my BMW Nav IV, I'm still learning how to use it..

Bike
NT700 Silver ABS
Awesome ... Clarity!
I will see you guys on Friday - hopefully closer to the 8am mark than the 12

I plan on heading out from Charlotte after work on Thursday. I still think I will stop at the Blue Ridge MC campground cause it was so nice - and a good mark to leave from in the am.

maupen

Jim ( nccmpig), Bob (Bobagain), Pcrimm and myself with my friend from Costa Rica.. not bad, maybe somebody jump in at last minute! I'm PM's Bob and pcrimm with my Email and cellphone, we're leaving South Florida Wednesday morning.:D:D

Ok, so the way I figure it, we are going to meet on Friday (for those who can) at "Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort 17548 Tapoco Road, Robbinsville, NC 28771. Then on Saturday morning meet at the Huddle House in Robbinsville (610 Tallulah Road
Robbinsville, NC 28771 (828) 479-96950 between 8 am and 8:30. Maupen and I will be leaving FL Wednesday around noon. My cell number is 321.696.1386 if someone needs to reach us.

Jim

maupen

I'm very sad to give bad news, but Jim ( nccmpig) had an accident riding with us in NC, he's in the ICU, recovering for several broken ribs, spleen bleeding, but the doctors expect a full recovery because he don't have any brain or spinal injury.. We were near to Fontana Dam, for our east coast round up..
I will post tomorrow how he's doing..

Bike
2011 Black NT700V
Thats terrible news.. Though the bit about no brain or spinal injury is the silver lining I guess..

Please keep us up to date on how he is doing..

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Aww...that's bad news. I'll keep him in my prayers. Keep us posted. Tell Jim to make a speedy recovery.

The roads in that part of the world are worthy of respect. When we had our Concours Rally there in '08, one woman was killed, when she rode off the road on her cruiser.

Bike
NT700 Silver ABS
Just got off the phone with Mauricio, they are still at the hospital, but repeated the Doctors expect a full recovery.
Jim is in my prayers right now as at sit at Mc Donalds typing this.

If Bob reads this, I am still headed to the rally point and should be there around 8:50am EST (I'm about 50 miles out)
Ride safe, these roads are great in some areas, but immediately deteriorate in others.

Paul

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Sorry to hear about Jim's accident. We will keep him in our thoughts for a full and speedy recovery.

lcseds

I wasn't able to make this run. I am very sorry to hear this news. My prayers go out for a speedy recovery.

Nomad

Wow, I've been off the board for a couple of days and just logged-on to see how the ride was going. I'm saddened and shocked to hear the news. Jim, I wish you a speedy recovery. I realize the bike is of secondary concern, but if she's unrideable and you need assistance transporting the bike home, I'd be glad to help (you have my number). Craig

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
So sorry to hear this news and can certainly empathize. Best wishes for a solid recovery, friend.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Bike
NT700 Silver ABS
All,
Mauricio, Queberth, Bob, and myself were able to connect mid day.
Our thoughts, prayers, and conversations continue to include Jim.

We met up at Deals Gap and rode the dragon and the area all day and into the night.
The cabins are GREAT and we had a cookout with Hot Dawgs, S'mores , and Beer.

Plenty of pictures are coming for sure, and several have asked "hey what kind of bikes are those;)"
we are at the Huddle Houston Robinsville now, and expect to ride the Cherahola (sp) Skyway loop into the afternoon.

More to come I am sure,
Paul

maupen

I went to the hospital yesterday morning, he's stabilized, sedated, because he had a lot of broken ribs, some in several pieces, but he will be ok. Nurse told me that maybe they will wake up tomorrow, but the doctors will decide if the ribs are better.
His wife is flying today with his daughter, I will meet her tomorrow before return to Florida..

Thank you all for your prayers!!

Terrible news. I was extremely fortunate to walk away from my accident. My thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm sure Jim is going to be hurting for a few weeks or more with those rib injuries, but it's a relief to know that he's going to be making a full recovery.

Not meaning or wanting to sound blood-thirsty, but on the Connie Forum and in various places where pilots converse, accident reconstruction can be a very useful learning tool. If either Armando or Jim would care to share what happened, I don't believe that people would be critical of their actions/decisions, but I do believe that all of us could gain insight and knowledge. Just a suggestion....

Oh, to be totally honest, I'm sure some people would be critical, but we could just tell them to go fly a kite.

I did put the details of my accident in a post, but I think this is a good idea. Maybe we should start an "Accident Report" topic area. I'd be willing to repost the details of my accident. I truly believe the only reason I walked away from mine, was from what I learned from all of you on this forum. I'd be happy and grateful to able to give back.

I was an Army Sgt for 12 years so I've got a pretty thick skin. Let those who would be critical post what they will. I'll just take useful points and flush the rest.

Top Bottom