Economical SUV - NT700

Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
The NT never ceases to surprise me with its all-around good behavior and abilities. Here's a couple pics of what I mean...

IMG_20120511_025727.jpg
This was a trip to LA to visit my sister for a week.

IMG_20120427_185457.jpg
This was my first camping trip with the NT, I didn't pack light! What's amazing about this trip was that I met my buddies up there (they had been there a night already) and they neglected to tell me that the last 5 miles in where gravel/fire roads. Well I didn't go above 20mph and made it just fine thanks to good ground clearance.

IMG_20121003_143952.jpg
This is my most recent outing, I called the store nearby to put a juicer on hold and got there to find a monster of a box and it was heavy too! :doh1:
Well I thought, she's handled worse. I did got some interesting looks though.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
You've got some great straps! And you make your point about the NT being an affordable SUV very well!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Good strap jobs... I always marveled at how much "stuff" riders in S.E. Asia could load and strap on to a 125CC street bike and still get it to move....

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
One of the shortcomings of the ST's not shared by the NT is the consequence of having stuff hanging over the panniers. Because of the ST's mirror placement, I've had the mirrors become useless for anything but confirming that the load was still there:rolleyes1:

I've seen a family of 5 Vietnamese carried on a single 2-wheel bicycle:eek1:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Yes, I use mine as a car or truck too! I was a little scrunched bringing home a computer for 20 miles back in April!! A good backrest, but too close.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
You guys need a decent tank bag!!

You'd be surprised at how much a good tank bag can hold. My pic before taking off on a 6 day camping trip. And, no, I don't travel light either. That all includes a twin air bed with air pump, std 8x10 tarp to go under my 4 man tent (yes, all that is just for me :) ).

Includes camping stove, french press, fuel, day's worth of water, food for 3 days, clothes and three layers for riding (mesh, insulation and rain suit). And all the ancillaries.

I would like to have more tie down points for the load. With wide lids I am thinking of making a rack on the back instead of using the trunk. Width enough for two 12" dia duffles.

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Charlie, I agree 100% about a tank bag -- what is yours? Also, tell me about the hood over your GPS.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Tank bag is an older Nelson Rigg. Originally purchased to fit the Guzzi, but, it also fits the NT, kinda.

Until my Magellan GPS dies I rigged up the mount seen. Couple of pieces of thin plywood cut to shape. GPS was set back in there so it got shade most of the time. Essential to be able to see the image on that thing. Well, last trip through CA it dies on me. I think the fog south of SF seeped into it and killed it. The good part is I figured out how well the Samsung SIII works with the Copilot GPS software. When in a RAM mount I can set the angle so it can be seen in any sunlight. So, the hooded mount for the old GPS is now toast/kindling.

When working on my hood for the GPS I also discovered that the blinding glare in a GPS/phone screen is not the direct sunlight. It is the reflected light, usually from my helmet or jacket. Just angle it slightly different and the glare goes away and I can see the screen.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Although they seem really handy, tank bags strike me as a bit claustrophobic. Any comments on that?
Unless you have one of those that is so tall you cant see the instrument panel, you dont even know its there.
I currently use a 6.5L Cortech Super Mini. It will hold an astonishing array of small items and is totally unobtrusive. When I get to work, it fits in my topbox along with my helmet. When riding two-up, it holds all my usual stuff plus the wife's small makeup bag and hat.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've got two tank bags that both fit the same lock-ring on the gas cap. I've got a small Bags-Connection DayPack that stays on the bike most of the time. It carries had headlamp, earplugs, garage door opener, and my waterproof glove covers. Then, for trips, I've got the Bags-Connection City bag which is quite a bit bigger. It carries my Camelback water bladder, the same stuff from the DayPack, plus sometimes a camera, sometimes snack stuff.

The DayPack isn't noticeable at all, but the City bag crowds my fat belly a bit. It's not problem when I'm moving, only when I'm getting the bike off the side-stand.

Bags-Connection also has the best map case I've ever had. It fits both tank bags and is wide enough to hold a two folds of any road map I've ever used. I carry the laminated Rand-McNally state maps and love that map case. Even with a good GPS (a Street Pilot 2720), I like to get the big picture that a good map gives.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Although they seem really handy, tank bags strike me as a bit claustrophobic. Any comments on that?
On a bike like the NT you would need a huge bag to intrude on your space. In my experience anything sitting below your line of sight to the instruments is soon forgotten...or at least ignored. Before I had bikes with hard luggage my tank bag was my first choice to carry "stuff". The attached picture of my first FJ1200, configured for cross country runs in the mid 80's, shows a large tank bag that held more than the saddlebags when expanded...:rolleyes1: For long weekends it was all I needed. The advantages are it is easy to reach, has a map window, change compartment, held my water bottles in the side compartments, and a ton of other "stuff"... Plus a tank bag is in the "Triangle of Safety" as far as correctly carrying a load. The biggest disadvantage, and only one for me, is having to flip it forward to refuel. I still use one, even on the Tri-Glide, for my sun glasses, ear plugs, camera, personal protection device, and other small things I want to have handy...

Attachments

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Tank bag. Not intrusive to me. I like having something that I can reach while riding to hold stuff. Kinda like a glove box for the bike. I carry my camera in there in case I want to take a photo while riding. Candy bars, water, etc. It is where I keep my rain gear and spare gloves. Mine easily flips back for refueling, even when expanded and full.

What is more intrusive is the bag on the passenger seat. If it is a little too far forward it screws up the sitting position.

When you have a tank bag AND a bag on the passenger seat then getting on and off the bike is a bit of a stretch. Not a "swing your leg over" rather a put your boot through the 'hole' kind of thing.

The better part about a tank bag is I can rest my arms on it for a break every now and then. Or, I can lean forward even more to take the weight off my hands for a bit.

I've ridden with a tank bag so much that I feel kinda naked without it.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The lawn chair I found at Sportsman's Warehouse. Extremely comfortable and stows easily. I think it was $40.

Top Bottom