Electric Snowmobile Helmet Visors?

I'm wanting to buy an electric snowmobile helmet because the pinlock shield in my Shoei Neotec kept failing and started to freeze over last winter every time I was riding at night in single digit temperatures last winter. It worked fine during daylight but at night it didn't.

Here's two examples from last winter.
&

So does anyone have any suggestions on what electric snowmobile helmet I should purchase? I'm looking for a helmet that will work great down to about -10F in the dark. Also I would like it to work down to -24F at night but my budget is only about $400.

Edit: yes I already read this thread http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?8198-Foggy-Helmet

Last edited:
OP
OP
RUSTINPEACE
A breath deflector might help some but at the temperatures I'm wanting to ride in below -0 Fahrenheit at night I don't think it's the solution. Last winter there was one night that I did a rotation of ride 2 miles with my visor down then ride 1 mile with my visor up and after only 70 miles I decided to just call it a night and ride home. I think the only solution is going to be an electric visor but I can't find anyone in east Tennessee that knows anything about electric visors.

Currently i'm leaning towards the Bell Revolver snow http://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/helmets/snow/revolver-snow but I can't seem to find very much information about it.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Will,
I think you are right about needing to go with an electric visor.
During my winter commutes I have had the same problems with icing when the temps get really low.
I end up riding with my visor up a notch to keep my breath from freezing on the face shield but that only works for about 15 minutes before my face starts to get cold.
I also wear a Neotec which does come with a breath guard but at very low temps it is not very effective.
Standard motorcycle helmets are just not designed for riding in temperatures as low as you are riding.
I don't have any specific advice as to the best brand of snowmobile helmet to get but I bet there must be snowmobile web sites where the topic is discussed.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have a Bell Revolver and do not recommend it for cold weather riding. I plan to look at HJC. My Nolan 103 has the same problem as the Bell.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I also have a Bell Revolver and while I like it a lot, it is noisier than I had hoped and therefore I am reluctant to recommend it to others. Having said this, the helmet is not as noisy as a lot of other helmets and for the price I paid I am very happy with my purchase.

Seagrass

ett

Over the years I've used various combinations of cold weather riding gear.

For the longest time I used a bandana on my face, a long silk scarf wrapper around my neck, and a lengthened Lockhart Apple Warmer attached to full face helmet and tucked into riding suit/jacket.
This completely closed off the inside of my helmet to the outside and was very warm inside. Almost like driving in a car.
And the moisture from my breath's condensation usually would not freeze on the visor; until I rode at interstate speeds.
So this combination worked rather well. But I would have to replace the velcro for the Apple Warmer every year. Which became a hassle.

So I too had thought about getting a snowmobile helmet with a heated visor.
But was not looking forward to the costs or necessary wiring.

So a few years ago I tried something else before spending the money on a snowmobile helmet with heated visor.

I bought a Klim Artic Balaclava.
Which was nearly perfect; except for the builtin nose piece/breath deflector.
Instead of deflecting my breath; it acted as a scoop and directed cold wind into my nose and eyes.
A simple bandana across the face and balaclava fixed that.

Now I stay very warm and my breath does not freeze on visor; even at interstate speeds.
In fact; my breath doesn't even form on the visor.

--ET

Top Bottom