Electronic Communication Devices: A Higher Level of Stupid

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
When my brother and I ride together will wil do this. Usually when there are only passing 'spaces' for one. I can count on one hand the number of times we have done this on a truly blind curve, in over 20k miles of travel. The rest of the time it is usually a notice, so the other rider can start accelerating before the road can be seen well. And, yes, one time it did startle the driver of the other vehicle a bit. They hit their brakes when they realized I was going to pass.

We also communicate road conditions. But, this is kind of a moot point since the person in front is riding slower anyway. Most of the time we're just talking about scenery, bike conditions, where to get gas, next stop, next intersection, etc.

Kid and I did this constantly in the mountains on our 3 week odyssey this summer as he had way more passing power on his lightly loaded FZ-08 than on my overloaded Vstrom 650.
I'm sure we annoyed a few drivers who thought we were being hooligans especially in the really tight twists on Vancouver Island around Port Alberni

I got into comms for safety reasons....and much prefer riding with them. Combined with Audible books sure made the boring stretches better and as he's a diabetic he could let me know when he needed to stop to check sugars.....our tank ranges were out of step as well especially at 80 mph plus across S Dakota -
Just makes things much easier.

One thing we discovered was letting the Navigator ride tail gunner and inform the lead rider who is not navigating when to turn.
This let the lead rider concentrate on road conditions etc while tail rider navigated.

Happened by accident and we ended up doing it ongoing. Splits the load.

Top Bottom