Elictrical issue!

I'll try to keep this short. While on a bike trip, I checked my brake lights before I left in the morning. Nothing.

Checked the bulbs (easy), they were okay. Checked the voltage to the bulb bases, no voltage for the brake light. Humm....checked the fuse, it was okay and the horn worked (they are on the same fuse) Not much more that I could do with what I had.

My son followed me home so that other drivers could see his brake light at least.

I'll skip my scouring the wiring diagram to see where a loose connection would leave both switches inoperable. Wiring checked fine. Then I checked the rear brake switch....nothing. Okay, a bit of cleaner/lubricant and it is working. Checked the front brake switch....nothing there either! I ordered a new switch after seeing that the switch was obviously broken.

I never would have thought that BOTH switches went bad! I checked them a few days ago and everything was fine.

Just thought I'd post this to maybe help someone else. Check ALL the simple stuff first, even if it seems unlikely. You just might get lucky.

Cliff

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Annual check items...
Riding in bad weather, outside parking, excessive washing action...
I use ACF-50 on switches and electrical connections...

Bike
‘10 NT700VA ‘10 HD Trike
I agree, keep it out of the weather. And if you wash it, use a leaf blower to dry before wiping dry.

Top Bottom