[How To] Emergency Saddlebag Repair Using Rok Straps

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Hi friends,
I recently bought a 2010 NT700V and it's just what I was looking for. As noted countless times on this helpful forum, the latches on the saddlebags are a weak link. I had one snap off on the 130-mile ride home from purchase, and below was my temporary fix using what I had on hand. The offending latch has since been epoxied using JB Weld (for plastic). Though I believe the aftermarket latches as faithfully detailed here are in my near future: https://www.nt-owners.org/forums/threads/improved-pannier-latches.12000/

Tools: Adjustable Rok straps, length of wire, carabiner.

Instructions:
-Tie the buckle end of the Rok strap to the bike's passenger handle.
-Insert the wire through the other end of the Rok strap.
-Fish the Rok strap's hoop through the bottom of the case at the hinge. This is a tight fit, but it will fish through with effort.
-Attach a carabiner (or anything else on hand) to keep the strap from pulling out of the case.
-Run the strap over the cover to the buckle, and tighten the Rok strap.

Best,
Craig

01Supplies.JPG02WirethroughStrap.JPG03Saddlebag Open.JPG04WirethroughHinges.JPG05StrapthroughHinges.JPG06CliponStraptostayInside.JPG07BottomStrapthorughHingestoTop.JPG08Secured.JPG

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Daler - Out of curiosity, are the scrapes on the upper half from a lay-down? I ask because I'm about to put on the larger Deauville pannier lids and trying to figure out the best location on the lids for some protectors to minimize damage - should a casual drop or lay-down occur.

Aside, great solution - thinking of planning for this eventual failure and keeping straps with me on rides.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Out of curiosity, are the scrapes on the upper half from a lay-down? I ask because I'm about to put on the larger Deauville pannier lids and trying to figure out the best location on the lids for some protectors to minimize damage - should a casual drop or lay-down occur.
With the bigger lids, most of the damage happens along or below the crease line on the panniers. I put rubber bumpers I got from Amazon along that line and (so far) haven't dropped the bike. These are what I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SGDS829/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_0001 (2).JPG

Top Bottom