Engine Vent Air Deflectors

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I think I have seen someones bike pic on here where they had a small deflector on the back edge of the engine vent (in front of the knees) deflecting the hot air away from the knee/front of the leg.

If anyone has done this, I am also looking to do this as on 90+ degree days my legs cook making the rest of me very warm.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I have been on two rides in the last 10 days when the temp was around 95. There is a LOT of heat coming out of those vents and blowing directly back on the rider. At least I know how to keep my left hand warm this fall.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have been on two rides in the last 10 days when the temp was around 95. There is a LOT of heat coming out of those vents and blowing directly back on the rider. At least I know how to keep my left hand warm this fall.
I have not really noticed it. I will pay more attention on my next ride. You guys wearing shorts ;)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Are you wearing mesh pants? In my last 2500 miles, it has been mostly over 100F (about 2250 of it, in fact). With my 'Stitch on, I was hot, but never unbearably so. I wore a cotton t-shirt and underwear along with nylon shorts every day till yesterday. I finally took a chance and wore the LD Comfort moisture-wicking long underwear yesterday. I certainly wasn't any hotter, but honestly can't say I was any cooler either. I didn't try wetting the sleeves of the long-sleeved shirt, which is what Mario, the owner of LD Comfort recommends.

About 140 miles from home, it started actually getting cool. By the time I got to Limon, 83 miles away, it was down to 49. I put my heated jacket on, and cracked the heat on it and was comfortable. It was back up to 65 by the time I got to Fort Morgan.

I have never noticed heat coming off the engine with the 'Stitch.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Seems like I remember some folks complaining about the same thing with the ST1300 and the Concours 14 when they came out. As far as I know Honda didn't redesign the fairing on the ST and I don't hear those complaints any more; Kawasaki did a fairly major redesign on the C-14 fairing after about 2-3 years and those complaints have gone away.

I never ride more than a mile or two without my 'Stitch, but I don't doubt that people who wear jeans can feel the heat.

Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
I also rarely ride without it. Makes me feel like being in a car without a seat belt.

Bike
2010 ABS Silver
I have rode in jeans for the last year, and have noticed that there is warmer air around the lower leg area at times. In the summertime (highs of 90) I have not noticed it blowing overly hot. I think that the slipstream takes most of it away, but if riding slower it may make a hot pocket of air as the radiator cools the coolant.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I notice that my thermometer (air not engine) reads about 5 degrees higher after I start riding. Could be because it is in the sun but also due to heat rising up from engine area. I do notice that my down wind leg gets warmer. Nothing to worry about though. I attribute this to this bike being more tightly cowled than my air cooled one. However, i notices the same general pattern on that bike too. Like, Karl said, you sitting on top of a running engine.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
OK, I'm a newbie... I'll bite.... what's a "stitch"?

Mike

Scottyboy

Some relief from engine heat

I noticed the engine heat too. The vents need to be unobstructed but I realized that much of the heat was coming from the edges of the panels and the panels themselves. I went to a NAPA automotive store and they ordered me a stick-on sheet of heat-reflective insulation with a 3M adhesive backing. Just cut and stick-on. I applied this to all the panels in the area. I then bought a roll of exhaust pipe insulation (supposed to increase hp--try Oreillys) and wrapped it and slid it upwards to cover the pipe at the head (can't access easily). I used a bit of superglue to tack it together as I wrapped it (just a dab on the overlap) and then a hose clamp at the end where it's barely showing under the edge of the fairing. (note-smokes for a couple of minutes when first heated-then ok) Also used foam tape (household) along the edges of the panels to stop heat from leaking at the joints. Went out for a 250 mile run yesterday and the results were well worth the effort!

taldric

I noticed the engine heat too. The vents need to be unobstructed but I realized that much of the heat was coming from the edges of the panels and the panels themselves. I went to a NAPA automotive store and they ordered me a stick-on sheet of heat-reflective insulation with a 3M adhesive backing. Just cut and stick-on. I applied this to all the panels in the area. I then bought a roll of exhaust pipe insulation (supposed to increase hp--try Oreillys) and wrapped it and slid it upwards to cover the pipe at the head (can't access easily). I used a bit of superglue to tack it together as I wrapped it (just a dab on the overlap) and then a hose clamp at the end where it's barely showing under the edge of the fairing. (note-smokes for a couple of minutes when first heated-then ok) Also used foam tape (household) along the edges of the panels to stop heat from leaking at the joints. Went out for a 250 mile run yesterday and the results were well worth the effort!
I am curious if this will shorten engine life. With the heat not radiating away from the engine through the panels then it would seem that more heat is being held in the engine. This could cause additional wear on the engine components due to the heat thinning the oil more, or even cause an earlier overheat in the coolant fluid. I'm not saying it will, only that it could.

All that said, though, I am going to tuck this idea into my folder of neat tricks for the NT. Might come in handy someday soon.

bicyclist

And if you clip them to the outside of the air conditioner, your LDs will be completely dry in 15 minutes.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Interesting that the only heat on the legs I get is when in a cross wind. And the heat is on the side downwind. The air coming out of the radiator vents is NOT the source. I have not tried to track it down, but, I fear the getting rid of this will block air where it should not be blocked.

elizilla

Y'know, next winter maybe I will take that rubber strip out and see if it makes the bike more comfy in cold weather.

Top Bottom