Et tu, Ural?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The sanctions are hitting the Russians in the pocket book, big time. Sad, that it's the Russian citizen who is paying for Putin's follies. Any ideas what this may portend for Ural? A visit to the website has a banner declaring "no war". That I'm sure is the opinion of the US distributor but is that enough to mollify the US consumer? Has the import of their bikes already fallen victim to the sanctions? Here is hoping that all this mess can be resolved peacefully.

Mike

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
This thread probably has a time limit... but, that being said, who knows...

I do know a couple things.. I'm riding a BMW and most here are riding a Japanese bike...

History repeats itself and humans have short memories...

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
This thread probably has a time limit... but, that being said, who knows...

I do know a couple things.. I'm riding a BMW and most here are riding a Japanese bike...

History repeats itself and humans have short memories...
Or, as we historians say, "Those that do not study history are doomed to repeat it. "
We took Japan 1945 from a warlord state bombed into oblivioun to a democracy running bullet trains within 20 years. Think about that.
I do boycott items when I can from certain countries that feed on hate and fear and violence.
Maybe der Futin will sanction US by not giving us any Ural parts!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
There is a Ural dealer/distributor about an hour east of me and I've been there twice for their "Homecoming Days" or whatever they call it.
The latest happenings over there can't be good for the Ural biz anyplace outside of Russia!

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
There is a gentleman not far from me who was a BMW tech for many years at the StL dealer. He decided to go on his own and open a shop specializing in BMWs. He has done quite well repairing and selling used BMW's. Several years ago he stuck his neck out and obtained the Ural franchise for the area. He has done fairly well with the Ural's but he was shocked at first about the shoddy quality. He said that the quality has improved immensely in recent years once the bikes had to compete in the US market., I should stop by and visit with him and see if the Russian sanctions have affected him in any way.

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Don't take this the wrong way, but I have no use for a motorcycle with "shoddy quality" no matter how rad or retro it looks, it will leave me stranded.

The NT always gets me home, which is what a motorcycles supposed to do, otherwise it has no place in my garage. Much love to the NT in this regard.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s
I ride with the local section of the Can. Vintage Motorcycle Group (www.CVMG.org) and one of our members had a 2012 <I think> Ural sidecar rig that he really liked. About 2 months ago he traded it in on a brand new 2022 Ural rig and he says the new one is virtually identical from 5 feet away, but a MUCH better bike up close with much better electrics and EFI as well.

He isn't too concerned about parts as the mechanical bits are old BMW for the most part and the new electrical stuff are (I think) generic Japanese or Chinese components. Both of his Urals were olive drab and had the optional shovel (entrenching tool?), spare wheel and two-wheel drive (but no machine gun mount on the side car).

I will admit that he took a fair bit of teasing about its origins at our last coffee hour a week ago though....

Interestingly, another member of our group has a Chinese sidecar rig called a Chang Jiang (we call it a Chop Suey) that is virtually identical to the Ural - having been a development of the same 1938 BMW R71 748cc German military bikes which were provided to Russia during the brief honeymoon with Hitler prior to WW-2. Apparently, Stalin gave Mao a set of Ural M-72 tooling way back in the 1940s-50s and they are still cranking them out.

The bike was brought back from China by a Canadian diplomat some years ago and it looks very smart with a bright red paint job and gold pinstriping which is much more appealing than the military scheme of the Urals. It looks just about exactly the same as the one in the photo below including the odd handlebar levers that hinge at their outboard ends.

1971_chang_jaing.jpg

Pete

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
In 1995, a woman decided to circumnavigate the edges of the US riding a motorcycle and for whatever reason, she decided on Ural/w sidecar which was almost an unknown brand at that time. In reading the book, it sounds as if she did some consumer level testing because whenever something broke, she'd call the distributor in WA state and he'd ship her new parts and most often the same part that just broke! Anyhow, I found it an interesting book.

Just as a point of reference, ALL Urals they bring here are fitted with sidecars because they no longer import the "solo bike" to the states. With the drag of the sidecar they could explain why it was so slow; unfortunately without the sidecar it is still slow and now more obvious!

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever seen a Ural on the hoof without a sidecar. Without the sidecar, is there any reason to own one?

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I ride with the local section of the Can. Vintage Motorcycle Group (www.CVMG.org) and one of our members had a 2012 <I think> Ural sidecar rig that he really liked. About 2 months ago he traded it in on a brand new 2022 Ural rig and he says the new one is virtually identical from 5 feet away, but a MUCH better bike up close with much better electrics and EFI as well.

He isn't too concerned about parts as the mechanical bits are old BMW for the most part and the new electrical stuff are (I think) generic Japanese or Chinese components. Both of his Urals were olive drab and had the optional shovel (entrenching tool?), spare wheel and two-wheel drive (but no machine gun mount on the side car).

I will admit that he took a fair bit of teasing about its origins at our last coffee hour a week ago though....

Interestingly, another member of our group has a Chinese sidecar rig called a Chang Jiang (we call it a Chop Suey) that is virtually identical to the Ural - having been a development of the same 1938 BMW R71 748cc German military bikes which were provided to Russia during the brief honeymoon with Hitler prior to WW-2. Apparently, Stalin gave Mao a set of Ural M-72 tooling way back in the 1940s-50s and they are still cranking them out.

The bike was brought back from China by a Canadian diplomat some years ago and it looks very smart with a bright red paint job and gold pinstriping which is much more appealing than the military scheme of the Urals. It looks just about exactly the same as the one in the photo below including the odd handlebar levers that hinge at their outboard ends.

1971_chang_jaing.jpg

Pete
Interesting story...thanks!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever seen a Ural on the hoof without a sidecar. Without the sidecar, is there any reason to own one?

Mike
Long ago, when they imported the solo version, it appealed to me as a second fun bike....I always thought back then that the R69s was a bike that just looked right....now, not so much but it would be fun to ride one.
1647746316192.png

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I could easily see an old Bimmer as a second bike, but a Ural? Never! I've grown fond of reaching my destination when I ride.

Mike

Bike
I could easily see an old Bimmer as a second bike, but a Ural? Never! I've grown fond of reaching my destination when I ride.

Mike
Agreed Mike - old bimmers are great. I have a 1983 R100RS and here is what I have found:
  • they don't weight too much (my R100RS weights 503 lbs - 230 lbs less than my old ST1300, about 300 lbs less than a Gold Wing and approximately 11,000 lbs less than a Harley ;) );
  • all of the BMW R-series airheads have shaft drive, air cooling (hence the name...airhead...duhhhhh), one camshaft and two, count-'em, two carbs and two valves per cylinder, so parts count is low;
  • they aren't the sharpest handlers, but they are safe & steady, have decent brakes, OK ground clearance and no bad quirks;
  • they aren't really quick (no wheelies), but they can easily keep up with the Jones's and they can do 70-120 mph all day;
  • they get great fuel economy (my 1000cc R100RS will easily break 60 mpImpgh on the highway) and they have great range due to their large fuel tanks (the R100RS carries 24 litres or more than 6 US gallons) and so I can ride a looong way before stopping (I usually run out of @ss before I run out of gas);
  • they are as durable as granite if maintained properly: change the oil, check the valve gaps and keep the fuel clean);
  • they sound cool - like a motorcycle and not a blender or some other kitchen appliance (total chick magnets);
  • they are garden-tractor-simple and easy to work on (you could do a full top-end job on the shoulder of the road if required);
  • because of the simple wiring, it is dead-nuts easy to add useful farkles like GPS units, phone chargers, heated gear etc.
  • the BMW/Krauser luggage is roomy and convenient (and I added a 1982 Honda GL1100 top box for good measure);
  • replacement parts are easily available, of good quality and not (too) idiotically expensive.
Don't get me wrong, modern bikes have their charms too (reverse gear on big tourers like the Gold Wing is the one I'd like). I ride with some Gold Wing and H-D guys (see below), but I have found that I get better fuel economy than any of them, am about as quick in real riding situations as the GL and way faster than the H-Ds and am just as comfy as they are - BUT - my bike cost me about 1/8 (i.e. 12.5%) of the purchase price of any of the bikes in the group - really - $4500 versus more than $38K. In my part of Canada, all of my buddies paid more sales tax (13%) on their snazzy new bikes - than my bike cost me to buy.

BMW_Honda - top box LS view.jpg

WKRMC_bikes - Northern Ont - June-2022.jpg

Pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I like the looks of your Bimmer. The red fairing is a nice contrast to the black. The red accents on the seat complement the theme. The top box looks like it was designed for the bike. You have excellent taste in scoots!

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Before I bought my first Concours, I looked for a R100S and the only one I could find was in pretty bad shape. A friend had an Airhead GS and said what you do -- that they were really easy to maintain. About a year after I bought my Connie, I found a beautiful '95 R100RT for $7500. I came close to buying it, but decided the Connie was working just fine. I ended up riding it for 115,000 miles. Then I totaled it and bought an almost identical Connie with 50,000 miles for $3500.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Most things are easy to maintain on the old airhead Beemer with everything in the open. What is an easy annual task but not "easy" is removing the final drive and transmission to grease the clutch splines and other parts.

Bike
Most things are easy to maintain on the old airhead Beemer with everything in the open. What is an easy annual task but not "easy" is removing the final drive and transmission to grease the clutch splines and other parts.
Indeed....but into each day, a little rain must fall. The task isn't horrendous, nor are the parts heavy, rusty or likely to be seized, but yeah, it does have to be done.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Can't be any worse than a valve check/adjustment on an NT, can it?

Mike

Top Bottom