Exhaust Leak?

Bike
'10 nt700v red
Being new to the NT world I'm not familiar with the sounds of this machine. When accelerating it sounds like there is a slight exhaust leak coming from the engine. Since I don't have another NT to compare mine with I'm wondering if this is normal.
Thanks-John

skiper

Mine does not do that - maybe you could feel for air pulses or dangle some light streamers to see gases leaking / maybe looking in near darkness, i don't know what to say. Did the fexhaust take a hit recently ?

Is this a fairly new bike? I bought mine new in April of 2012 . . . and was extremely disapointed in the way it sounded when accelerating. I thought at the time that it was exhaust "whistling" out of a leak in the engine somewhere, or maybe air going in. I even read in a review where the reviewer thought there was a lot of noise being caused by the air filter or the throttle bodies. I now have about 18 K miles on it . . . and most of that noise is now gone, at least in 5th gear. Gas milage has increased by roughly 2 mpg as well.

So now I surmise the noise is from "close contact" gears, and they just need to wear in. But, wow, do they take their sweet time doing it. The fact that the exhaust is very quiet exascerbates the problem, as you don't have the benefit of this noise masking the others.

BillyDoc

OP
OP
Bike
'10 nt700v red
Is this a fairly new bike? I bought mine new in April of 2012 . . . and was extremely disapointed in the way it sounded when accelerating. I thought at the time that it was exhaust "whistling" out of a leak in the engine somewhere, or maybe air going in. I even read in a review where the reviewer thought there was a lot of noise being caused by the air filter or the throttle bodies. I now have about 18 K miles on it . . . and most of that noise is now gone, at least in 5th gear. Gas milage has increased by roughly 2 mpg as well.

So now I surmise the noise is from "close contact" gears, and they just need to wear in. But, wow, do they take their sweet time doing it. The fact that the exhaust is very quiet exascerbates the problem, as you don't have the benefit of this noise masking the others.

BillyDoc
Thanks for the info. I bought my NT used and now it has about 12,000 mi. I realize that the engine is "busy" at highway speeds, but this sound is annoying. I guess I'll wait and see if anything changes. You must really use your bike a lot, 18,000 mi. in a year and a half is incredible. I just use mine for casual riding.
Thanks again-John

You're welcome John,

Several years ago I developed some fairly minor problems with my car, and being naturally lazy I didn't get around to fixing them because I had a bike, and actually preferred to use that. Then a year or so ago I asked myself why I was paying for insurance on this car I never used, not to mention license plates, etc., . . . and so I turned in the plate and dropped the insurance. My wife has a nice car if we need one, but I seem to have discovered I simply don't need one. I did build myself a nice rack for the back of the NT, and use it to commute to work almost every day.

Of course I'm in Florida, and haven't had to deal with snow and ice for about thirty years now. I've sure been dealing with rain lately though, but even with that, I find that the NT does pretty well if I can keep it moving enough. It's when I have to stop for a red light that I get soaked.

Of course if it's really raining I can use my rain gear and stop that problem . . . but, did I mention I'm lazy? This time of year that rain is nice and warm.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Being new to the NT world I'm not familiar with the sounds of this machine. When accelerating it sounds like there is a slight exhaust leak coming from the engine. Since I don't have another NT to compare mine with I'm wondering if this is normal.
Thanks-John
Does it sound like George Jetson's car? If so, thats normal for almost any Honda

OP
OP
Bike
'10 nt700v red
Does it sound like George Jetson's car? If so, thats normal for almost any Honda
I had no idea how George Jetson's car sounded, until I Googled it. Mine is more of an exhaust leak sound. I really wish I had another NT to compare mine to.
Thanks-John

Top Bottom