external gas filter

axamax

Has anyone fitted a gas filter outside the gas tank between the tank and the throttle bodies?
Everytime I get a bad lot of fuel, the fuel injection plays up

There is a filter in the tank. If the bad fuel contains water the filter will not help much anyway.

I not sure why you would want a external filter, with the pump in the tank an external filter would not do much. If you get bad gas a post pump filter would not make it better. maybe a added cleaner added might help (Tectron or something like it).

Try to buy your gasoline from stations that do a high volume of business - such as at/near an interstate offramp. It's not 100% sure but this way you greatly reduce the chances of getting old gas, water in the gas, etc.

What do you think the filter will remove? I wonder if other riders in area are having issues in the same area? Have you tired to drain and check for contaminates but using a filter to pour the fuel into another container.

I agree with Tattoo Paul. You could get into a lot of trouble trying to fit an external filter. I also use Shell Gas exclusively with a half can of Sea Foam every six months. The bike runs like precision Swiss Watch. I could not be happier,

I've only tried SeaFoam in my mowers. I assume you're adding the half can of SeaFoam to a full tank?

In regards to adding a supplemental filter, I've been under the plastic of my bike many, many times and there just isn't much free space available.

Last edited:
The half can goes into a FULL tank. It does clean things up a bit because I notice a slight increase in performance after using it.

I've only used Seafoam once. I've been a believer in Techron for years. When I travel in areas where it's in the pump gas, I can see a definite and repeatable improvement of 2-3mpg in gas mileage. I've used it a few times as an additive to gas already in my tank.

Personally, I think that one of the best things you can do to keep your bike running well is to ride it.

I agree with you, Phil. I put the stuff in on a good day and then ride it like I stole it. It seems to get the carbon out that does build up with city riding. I do endeavor to run the bike at 3500 RPM or better.

Back
Top Bottom