Faded plastics restoration

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hi Folks,

The side panels on my NT are very faded and turned a light grey. I picked up a one ounce bottle of Solution Finish from Amazon and its seems to have done a good job. You first rub down the plastic panel with rubbing alcohol, then apply Solution Finish using a rag. You rub it in, and keep rubbing and it becomes uniform. It doesn't appear glossy or painted on unlike some other products. A little bit goes a long way. The one ounce bottle did the two 'access' side panels, the lower side panels near a rider's thighs, and also the rear fender. The maker claims it "it is a silicone-free solution that uses all natural oils and is VOC compliant.". There's no noticeable smell to it. It seems to work very well.

solutionfinish.jpg

That looks great. I'll be interested on how well it holds up. I've tried a few products that looked good, but after a couple rains or washings, start to fade back.
I'm always hoping to find one that works well. Hope this is it:thumb:

Cliff

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Harry - I think you meant to write 12-oz bottle because 1-ounce would barely do a few square inches. I looked it up and it was $25 on Amazon.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Harry - I think you meant to write 12-oz bottle because 1-ounce would barely do a few square inches. I looked it up and it was $25 on Amazon.
Tosh, in the upper left corner of his pic next to a wood handled steak knife is an itty, bitty bottle of something... could be a 1oz bottle.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, I now see the tiny bottle. The prices I've found were 1 oz for around $12 and 12 oz for around $25.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If 1oz is $12 and 12 oz is $25 it seems to me that the 12 oz bottle is a no brainer, unless the formulation is different of it has a very short shelf life.

Mike

OP
OP
harryhendo
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
If 1oz is $12 and 12 oz is $25 it seems to me that the 12 oz bottle is a no brainer, unless the formulation is different of it has a very short shelf life.
Mike
I ordered the 1oz. to test it out. If I find I am using it a lot, I'll get the 12oz. But I am also hesitant to buy a large quantity and then, a month later open the bottle to find it all dried up. It is amazing how little I used on the whole bike. There's still plenty in the bottle.

Bike
'05 ST1300A
It'll be interesting to read how long this lasts. Did you look at the OTT sealer the same company sells? On their website it appears it will add longevity when applied over the restored piece.

Please keep us up to date on how this works after a few rains or washings. Initially it looks great, hope it stays that way. We need something like that!

Clif

OP
OP
harryhendo
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
This Solution Finish has held up very well. I have washed the bike four times now, and the finish is still black. I've been riding a lot, and it has held up well. The only area that has lost its blackness is where my knees rub up against the side panel, so I've had to touch that up once.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Does it leave an oily residue and can you ride immediately without rub-off?

Moto-Kafe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I'm testing Griot's Garage "Black Shine" on some faded pieces........I use it all the time Detailing Cars/Trucks.........love the stuff. Yes, it has a greasy feel to it when applied, but dries with age........and has a smell (a good one, IMO). Multiple coatings are required on the NT plastics, I guess to let it "absorb in"?? Jury is still out.............

Top Bottom