Faded Plastics

This query is for Australian members... My 2007 Deauville is still in very good condition however the faded plastics detract from its overall appearance. Has anyone here found any satisfactory solution to this problem?

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I had a product which worked absolutely brilliantly. One application would last about 6 months of daily riding. But the company was bought out by, I believe, Autoglym. Now Autoglym do a product called: Autoglym Bumper and Trim Gel which looks very like the stuff I used to use.

I haven't tried it yet but will be getting some shortly as I'm down to my last application of the old stuff (and it's now over 12 years old). I'll let you know...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If the plastic is extremely faded, no chemical will "restore" the original finish. What we have found on this side of the pond is to repaint the offending items with a satin black automotive trim paint. Wash the item with a good dishwashing detergent, dry and then wipe down with a body solvent and paint. The only downside is that the original "grainy" texture of the plastic is somewhat filled in by the solids in the paint. Hope this helps!

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V
I use Duplicolor trim and bumper paint after primer. It holds up pretty good. Needs some touch up once in a while. That layer of oxidation the fading leaves down isn't ideal surface for paint adhesion, but I'm not about to be sanding down all the panels. That would further diminish the textured look a lot of them have.

Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
Get a propane or MAPP gas torch, run the flame over it real quick, don't let it linger, you'll see results quick

Bike
2010 NT700V
This query is for Australian members... My 2007 Deauville is still in very good condition however the faded plastics detract from its overall appearance. Has anyone here found any satisfactory solution to this problem?
Mcguires makes a very nice plastic protectant

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Wish they made more of the bits out of the stuff at the base of the bags. That part stayed black on my bike. Anyone familiar with the chemistry here?

Stevie16v

I've just went about sorting this on mine, I've done it by different methods on a few bikes. Only resolution for this was paint. I used Plasbak which is something I've used a few times and it's held up to the test of time

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
Wish they made more of the bits out of the stuff at the base of the bags. That part stayed black on my bike. Anyone familiar with the chemistry here?
I have noticed that also and if the same material was use on all the black pieces there would be no fading. The fading was especially bad on the rear facing part of the bike, my bike spent a lot of time parked by a open south facing garage door.
I painted the rear fender and the tail piece a couple of days ago with VHT high temperature for Plastic Paint (available at Auto Zone) and it looks good, time will tell how well it holds up.

Moto-Kafe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
A member on Stromtroopers "turned me on" to this stuff..........Griot's Garage, Black Shine, High Gloss Tire Gel. (see pic below)
I had never heard of it, then tried it..........working good so far. Can be used on faded plastic, rubber, leather, as well as metals......just don't put on the tread of tires. It is a "GEL" and feels greasy to touch, but this stuff is so much different than anything else I have tried in the past. See the Corbin Seat below.......passenger area wiped down with Griot's Gel, front half is dry and faded without treatment. Yes, it will make the seat "slick" at first but I'm thinking that will wear off with use. Not everyone wants a "shiney plastic surface" as most plastics did not come from the factory as "shiney"......I get that (especially if performing a Restoration)....but I prefer the shiney with UV protection over the dull, faded look on my vehicles. I Detail Vehicles as a hobby (retired engineer now) and am using it on the black plastic exteriors of vehicles.........works much better than Armorall. I have owned 3 KLR650's in the past and their plastics are VERY prone to fading after a few years. I used Lemon Pledge Furniture Polish on them and the shine returned. Wish I had tried this Griot's Tire Shine back then to compare. (NOTE: you might try the Lemon Pledge on the NT Plastics.......but it MUST be the "Pledge" brand, the generics are not near as good.)

P1270011.JPG

P1270010.JPG

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Griot's make very good (albeit pricey) products. I have used them for years. If you still want good UV protection and don't want the excessive gloss, try 303 Protectant.

Mike

Bike
2008 Bloom Red NT700V
Hi Charlie. I've use Bowmans Own Mr Black it turned my grey to Black as it is a pigment dye. Available in a starter kit with everything you need from Autobarn, Repco, Supercheap or Direct from manufacturer.

Bike
2006 Dusk Beige NT700VA
Hiya, although I'm not in Australia, I thought I'd reply as I have tried several products and methods mentioned above. If your plastic has really faded grey with the sun, other than spraying with paint, cream cleaners will not return the colour. In the end I used a Black plastic dye which returned the parts to near factory condition. The product I used was from Wurth. Hope this helps

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I've been a proponent of the Lemon Pledge types of products. I go over the whole bike with it and I think it has helped stave off some of the sun bleaching. However, I've noticed some of the panels are fading in their old age. Surprised no one has mentioned any of the new ceramic coating products. I bought a box of these ceramic coating wipes for trim and I could not believe the difference on my daughter's Subaru. Haven't tried it on the NT yet, but whoa, the result was amazing, turning the faded black plastic cowl near the windshield wipers to a rich, dark black.

0.jpg

Top Bottom