Farkle #1

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Dropped of the NT for 600 mile service and topbox install. The guy couldn't (wouldn't) promise me he'd have it out by tomorrow. I'm Jonesing already...knowing it's not in the garage at my beck and call. Waiting to get her back is going to be maddening, even if its a day or two!
Farkle #2 en route...MC Larry riser...I'll do that one myself next week.
Clay

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Now you've started down a long and slippery slope, Clay! Lock up your credit cards and hide the passwords before it's too late!

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
If I can get my right hand to stop going numb, there won't be any more farkles for a long time!

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I bought this bike out of state so I had to choose someone to work on my bike. AT the dealer where I bought previous bike (CBR250R) in February, there was something I just couldnt put my finger on, but I didnt like or trust those people. My brother recommended the Honda shop where he lives, a mere 25 miles away. They have worked on his Hayabusa, Ducati ST4S and his wife's little Shadow and he really likes them. So if they do right by me, I will stick with them.
And I think you are right, this is probably their first stab at an NT700, but you have to just give people credit sometime.
I just hope two things:
A: they dont screw up the latches on my panniers and
B: No scratches on the bike when I get it back. The other guy put a new scratch on my CBR both times I let them work on it

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
FYI

my hero is Nigel Mansell, whose race cars always bore a red "5"

The Ferrari Tifosi always called him "Il Leone"

MaggieMan

FYI

my hero is Nigel Mansell, whose race cars always bore a red "5"

The Ferrari Tifosi always called him "Il Leone"
Well, I was always an Alain Prost fan ... but Nigel certainly earned his nickname of Il Leone. I remember seeing him (on TV) pass some 'mobile chicane' like Andrea De Cezeres in Mexico City on the OUTSIDE of the Pereltada corner at 180MPH! Then his unbelievable pass going into turn 1 at Indy. At 225MPH he moves to the top of the track to pass and then has to cut back down, in the corner, to avoid / pass another car. You just don't do those things! At least not without, as David Hobbs would say, some serious brass attachments.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Nigel is from an era when racers still had gonads.
Usually, he either won or crashed trying, if the car didnt break first
Michael Andretti was not unlike him

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
But, they were before my time :)

Dan Gurney, McLaren, Donahue, Graham Hill, Andretti (the dad), Parnelli Jones, and on and on.

Back when no one thought you could get under 4 sec in the 1/4mile, or over 200mph on an oval.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
What about Jim Hall? Anybody remember him? He was not only a driver, but a builder, the creator of the Chapparal. I met him and talked to him in '60 at the SCCA Red River Regionals in Mansfield, LA, when he was driving a 5.8 liter V-8 Maserati 450S.

He was the fastest car there, getting consistent trap speeds on the 8,000 foot straight of about 205mph. But he didn't run the fastest laps. His buddy Hap Sharp, driving a 2.4 liter Coventry-Climax-engined Cooper was about 1/10 - 2/10 of a second faster every lap.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, one of the more inventive of the owner/drivers. Him, Gurney, McLaren, Shelby, Ak Miller and a few others were brave enough to drive their own designs.

Hill reinvented aerodynamic suction (ground effects) and was even honored by having his cars banned from racing. He then went on to pioneer the ground effect designs we see all over racing (and on the street) today.

I noticed Gurney's team is back at it again this year too.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
This thread has been TOTALLY hijacked.

To get us back on track, my first Farkle was a fender extender and my second is a weatherproof USB plug.

Both are yet to be fitted but I hope to do so shortly

MaggieMan

He was not only a driver, but a builder, the creator of the Chapparal.
"Yep, one of the more inventive of the owner/drivers. Him, Gurney, McLaren, Shelby, Ak Miller and a few others were brave enough to drive their own designs."

That Chapparal with it's huge movable rear wing was one heck of a car ... until the flimsy wing supports collapsed!

And I hope that "Black Jack" Brabham isn't just getting lumped in with a "few other" builder / drivers!

Now, to get back on 'track', my farkles:

Fenda-extenda
Iso-grips
Corbin seat
Cramp Buster
Awaiting arrival on:
SW-Motec luggage rack
Mirror Extenders
Next on My Hearts Desires List:
Heli-Risers

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
Seagrass, I totally forgot about my very first farkle for the NT which is a fender extender which was ordered from SPAIN. Imagine that!

skiper

did someone say their NT was made in Spain ? Phil ? Anyway I thought they would be made in Japan. ?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Everything from the '99-'05 NT650V to the '06-'10 model NT700Vs were made in Spain by Montessa Honda. The '11s were made in Italy. So were the '12s, even if they didn't get here to the US.

If someobody who's got an '11 would go out and look at the Vehicle Identification plate on the right side of the headstock, they may be able to tell us which factory Honda bought in Italy. It kind of seems like it was Moto Morini, but I don't know if that's right or not.

Top Bottom