Farkles after one year

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
It is amazing how fast things accumulate on a bike. So far we have gotten MCL Risers, MCL foot peg lowering kit, Sargent Seat, Large Pannier Lids, Bestem Liners, MoTech Alu Rack with soft luggage adapter, Silverstar headlight and tail light bulbs, Honda Tank Pad, Honda Wind deflectors, Red reflective rim stripes, SAE plug for Battery Tender, Tank Bag, LED Running lights mounted under the radiator (Auto Zone)

bflophil

Where are people buying the larger pannier lids from? Is there a distributor in the u.s.?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Dunno 'bout a distributor in the US for new ones, but we have a distributor here in the US for (slightly) used ones!

:rofl1:

Mike (who couldn't he'p hissef)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Alex:

Ya' got me beat... so far I have added:

Honda top box
Tank Pad
Knee pads
Silverstar xZe low beam
Wind deflectors
Chrome valve stem caps
Steering stem mounted thermometer

my wish list however, is considerably longer.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Dunno 'bout a distributor in the US for new ones, but we have a distributor here in the US for (slightly) used ones!

"Tacky, tacky, tacky"... says the US distributor, who's quitting the business, no matter how bad his big lids look.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
LOL, the links Wayne posted didn't go where I thought they would lead to

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
the links Wayne posted didn't go where I thought they would lead to
Eldon, for me one went to an earlier thread on this Forum, the other went to an eBay listing for the big lids with Gordon Bisson Honda in the UK.

tawilke46

Farkles after only 3-1/2 months.
Corbin seat, National Cycle VStream W/S, FirstGear Tail Bag, 12v accessory outlet, K&N air filter, Honda topcase (expensive like all Honda parts), Throttlemeisters, Garmin Zumo 660, Nolan N-102 Bluetooth setup, MCL bar risers, Hyperlites, Honda Knuckle Deflectors, & Fuzeblock. Can't imagine what more farkles will happen after a whole year! Considering the Denali HID's. Looked at the Honda lower cowl, but can't see paying $288 for one. That is just too much.
Farkles for the bike can become a black hole for $$$$$$.
Gotta to slow down soon before the wife notices the deductions in the ol' bank account!:well1: She did not like the idea of me buying the motorcycle to start with. She has come around though and has learned to live with it. I have owned 7 motorcycles over the years, so it's not new to her. Will post pictures after the first of the year.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
First a disclaimer: I like gadgets and I like to "farkle"... And I have a very understanding wife...:D

Honda OEM Farkles:
Honda Heated Grips
* Honda Wind Deflectors
* Honda Tank Pad
* Honda Knee Pad Set (Total Waste Of Money Alert!!!!)
Honda of Europe Large Pannier Lids
Honda Shop Manual

Electrical Farkles:
FZ-1 Fuse Box
Clearwater Krista LED Auxiliary Lights
* Custom Aluminum Bracket For the Clearwater or other lights
Stebel Air Horn
SilverStar Ultras H7 Headlights
* Kisan SM-3R Turn Signal Canceler
Hyper-Lites LED Brake and Running Lights
Motorcycle Larry (MCL) Handle Bar Clamp with Powerlet
Battery Tender Plug
Kuryakan LED Voltmeter
Magellan 4250 GPS (Recycled From A Car)

Body / Other Farkles:
Cee Bailey +2 “Flip” windshield in Light Grey
Motorcycle Larry (MCL) Handle Bar Risers
* Skid-Marx Lower Fairing (Color Matched)
* Grab On Foam Grips
* SW-MoTech Alu Rack Luggage Rack
* Bestem Saddle Bag Liners
* Larry Buck Tail Brights
Vista Cruise Throttle Lock
Firstgear Silverstone Tail Bag
Firstgear Silverstone Tank Bag

* I wrote either a Review or How-To in the Farkles Forum...

I don't consider tools, tire repair kits, etc. to be farkles as such so I'll leave those off...:smile:

A lot, read most, of the electrical "stuff" needs to be re-installed this winter as I removed the FZ-1 and everything tied to it when I had the Corbin seat interference issue... I needed to re-wire everything anyway...:smile:

Last edited:

tawilke46

First a disclaimer: I like gadgets and I like to "farkle"... And I have a very understanding wife...

Don't want to misslead anyone about my wife.
Actually my wife is really a very understanding of my love for motorcycles, she is just afraid I will hurt myself. You see I had a kidney transplant in July 2010, and she does not want me to hurt that kidney and have to go back on dialysis. I assured her that of all the people on this earth *I* am the one who most does not want to hurt that kidney! Believe me I am being VERY careful how I ride.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Don't want to misslead anyone about my wife. Actually my wife is really a very understanding of my love for motorcycles, she is just afraid I will hurt myself.
I fully understand... I wasn't referring to your comment but rather to my wife opening up the monthly Credit Card statements...

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
On the 13th of Jan. 2012, I will have had my NT(ST700) for one year. I have added the following.

Honda Farkles

Honda Wind Deflector
Honda of Europe Large Pannier Lids
Honda Shop Manual

Electrical Farkles

Home Made Electrical Distribution System
Stebel Air Horn with Relay and Wire Harness
Battery Tender Plug
Zumo GPS with Power Wire Harness
HJC FRX radio with Power Wire Harness
HJC Helmet Speaker and Mic Set Up
Heated gear Wire Harness
Battery tender Wire Harness

Other Farkles

Motorcycle Larry (MCL) Handle Bar Risers
Motorcycle Larry Lower Peg brackets
BMW Sport Grips
Bestem Saddlebag Liners
Fender Extender
HVMP Bar End Weights
Throttle Lock Vista Cruise
2 Ea Ram Ball Mounts
Homemade Key Fobs for Pannier Lock, Glove Box
Tank Bag Cortex Mini
Seat Pad Walmart
Givi Mono Key Top Box Rack
Givi E-360 Top Box (Shared with my other bikes)
Throttle Rocker
Ear Plug Holder

Items On order but not yet received.

Vario /Windshield with Spoiler.
SW-MOTECH Mirror Winders.

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Great thread to go along with the farkling area of the forum. Sailariel, what is a "soft luggage adaptor" for the MOtech alu rack?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I agree with Rick about farkling a bike: it makes sense if you know you're going to keep the bike for long enough. I had my first Concours for 115,000 miles, my second one for another 40,000 miles, and knew when I bought the NT that I'd put many, many miles on it over a goodly number of years. I was also pretty sure about some of the things I'd want to change to make it fit me and work for me the way I wanted it to work. So I spent quite a bit of money up front. I haven't regretted any of that money. I've spent less in the last year than I spent in the first month I owned the bike.

Honda Accessories:

1) Heated hand grips; 2) tank pad; 3) wind deflectors; 4) shop manual; 5) Big pannier lids; 6) OEM undercowl

Motorcycle Larry Stuff:

1) Bar risers with clamp and Powerlet outlet; one RAM Ball; 2) peg lowerers; 3) Throttlemeister throttle lock

Twisted Throttle:

1) Denali LED lights; 2) SW-Mototech Alu-Rack; 3) CooCase Astra 46 liter top-case; 4) Bags Connection tank bag ring w/ (a) Bags Connection City tank bag and (b) Bags Connection Daypack tankbag; AdMore LED tail-light/brake light kit for CooCase (not installed yet).

Other Vendors:

1) Cee Bailey + 4" screen; 2) FuzeBlock; 3) Russell DayLong Leather Saddle; 4) Fender extender; 5) Warm and Safe Heat controller; 6) Kisan Chargeguard (shows voltage and temperature in degrees F and C); 7) RAM GPS mount; 8) Refurbished Garmin Street Pilot 2720 mounted to MCL's bar clamp; 9) Larry Buck's Tailbrights; 10) HMW red-and-white roundels to sow confusion among the motorcycle illiterati.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I agree with Rick. I did give the Sargent seat a lot of thought. Even though it is made using the original pan, it is a different seat altogether. The OEM seat was too soft for me, which made for an uncomfortable ride. I got the Low Profile model which is firm and very comfortable. I still have the stock seat. I compared the two recently, and the Sargent was the clear winner--for me anyway.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Unfortunately "farkling" can also be an attempt to "save" a bad bike as well... The money I poured in to the Harley I had is a case in point. I think H-D is the worst for this type of farkling as they have the most options to try before you finally just say "Screw it" and get rid of the bike. I had eight seat choices and that is just OEM...it took me three tries (That ads up to more than a NT Sargent seat) to find a decent one... That is one reason there are a ton of "nearly new" / "like new" H-D accessories and parts on eBay I suspect...

Accessories or "Tuning" a bike for you can correct minor irritants, but they won't save a lost cause.... When to hold them and when to fold them applies to bikes and farkles as well...:D

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The late great Nathaniel Herreshoff once said, "You can make a good boat better--but you can't make a bad boat good" I think that the same applies to motorcycles. There is a distinct difference in conversations among NT, ST, and Wing Owners when they talk about their bikes. They talk about slight improvements with big results--Seats, Risers, Windshields, Top Cases, and so on. Harley riders try to justify their purchases--"Loud pipes save lives" and "There is no proof that wearing a helmet will save your life" They make tons of "do dads" in chrome and gold--nice stuff, but does it make the bike better. When I had my Harley for a brief time, my left pant leg and boot were always oily--kept the oil off the chrome. If it doesn't go, chrome it. I prefer more modern bikes like the NT and ST (Really like the 1100)

Top Bottom