Fenda Extenda Problems?

tawilke46

Did any of our forum members that have installed the fenda extenda have any problems associated with the extension????? I know there are several that have installed them.
Such as putting too much stress on the fender causing cracking or the like?
Does it keep the front of the bike any cleaner? Keep more water off the lower part of your legs and feet?
Mine is on order, will get it in 5 days or so. I am not going to mount my new fender until I install the extenda first.

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
I installed a Fenda Extenda on my NT700V 5 1/2 years ago and I haven't ever had any problems with it. It definitely keeps the front of the bike cleaner but I don't think it helps with keeping water off my feet and lower legs.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It mostly keeps road crud off the front portion of the crankcase. The curved indentation on the Fenda Extenda doesn't exactly match the lower edge of the Deauville's fender but you have to look closely to notice. I installed mine with pop rivets instead of the supplied sheet metal screws.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got one on Dudley. It doesn't quite fit perfectly, but like DirtFlier says, you have to look close to notice. I think it keeps crud off the engine and it can't help but add a bit of protection for the radiator. My undercowl does more to keep stuff off of me than it does.

MaggieMan

I got my Fenda Extenda today. I don't really like the idea of drilling 4 holes in my expensive plastic fender, or having 4 shiny screw heads poking out. There are 3 small pieces of double-stick tape pre-mounted on the Extenda ... with a LOT of space left over for a LOT more of it. Any thoughts on the viability of just using double-sticky tape and foregoing the screws? What would be the best kind/brand tape for this application? How about removing the 2xsticky tape and just using a glue? I wouldn't want to have to buy a new $315 fender! :)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Any thoughts on the viability of just using double-sticky tape and foregoing the screws? What would be the best kind/brand tape for this application?
3M Trim Tape is used to hold on body side molding, spoilers and everything else in the automotive world when they don't want to drill holes... Honda uses it for the Wind Deflectors on the NT. The tape is available at most automotive stores like Pep Boys. I would make sure the inside of the fender is spotless before attaching the fenda extenda using trim tape as it won't work well on a dirty surface. I would also use as much as could be used without it showing...

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I used the supplied screws to mount mine. 3,000+ miles and no cracking. It does help keep crud and small stones from being kicked up. After I drilled the holes and had all the tightened screws in place I took each screw out one at a time and used my shop grinder to remove the sharp tips of each screw until the barrel of the screw barely came through the underside of the fender. Then I applied a lil' black automotive silicone to the screw, screwed it back in and wiped up the excess. Overkill ? Probably, but I didn't like the idea of sharp screws protruding though the underside of the front fender regardless of how far they are away from the front tire. And I figure the silicone may help keep the screws from backing out due to vibration and flex.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I had one made by Honda ?? on my Gl1800. at 6 years of time and 90,000 plus miles. The front fender bolt areas were cracked outas well as the ABS marked covers. The fender rear section and covers were replaced at no cost to me, either by my dealer, or by Mother Honda. They never said & I never ask, however my dealer in a private discussion suggested that the extenda may have been the culpert, although I can't say for sure as that good old 04 did lead a bit of a rough life style from time to time.
I will leave the extenda off for the time being and see just how much junk I accumulate.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I looked at MCL's site and he sells the Extender--but it says , "Not for NT-700" Does anyone have a part number or place where I can get one?

The Fenda Extenda doesn't stop the header pipes from attracting crud but should stop the radiator bracket from rusting (a common problem on the NT, at least in the UK). It also only protects the middle section of the radiator, but better than nothing I guess. They are more effective on other bikes that I've owned and I really think that the Honda design could have incorporated a bit more protection from the outset.

MaggieMan

Gandalf the Grey---but not entirely grey:)

Sam:)

I'll take you on your word for that ... absolutely no need for you to provide visual proof ... none whatsoever! :smile:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've had mine screwed in for about 35,000 miles and haven't had any trouble. 'Course, I didn't use LocTite on it. :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I looked at MCL's site and he sells the Extender--but it says , "Not for NT-700" Does anyone have a part number or place where I can get one?

Alex, like Christian, I bought mine directly from Pyramid Plastics. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the part numbers are the same for the NT-650 and the NT-700 extenders.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I can't recall where I bought my Fenda Extenda but it's been on my bike since around June 2010 without any problems. I attached it with pop rivets and backup washers. The top portion of the Extenda has an insert area where it fits UNDER the fender and that shape doesn't exactly match the curvature of the NT fender. If you had the fender off the bike and on a workbench you'll see it right away but on the bike it's almost impossible to notice.

ps. if you want more protection, you can always fit a "Yosemite Sam" mudflap from a truck stop! :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I purchased mine off ebay. It is the carbon fiber version. I think it came from Spain. About $26.

Top Bottom