Fifth gear

Bike
‘10 NT700VA ‘10 HD Trike
So I came upon this Honda NT700 and I wasn’t actually looking for one. I was riding a big heavy BMW R series and I needed something lighter. I love the bike, but I keep search for 6th gear. I’m not used to a bike revving 4000rpm at 65mph. I haven’t had a 5 speed bike in 20yrs. Can this engine really take all those rpm’s?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It is more a psychological problem for the rider than a mechanical problem for the engine. Yes, it revs when riding at 65+ mph but doesn't seem to mind and none of the long mileage guys have reported any problems (extreme wear, oil consumption, etc) caused by prolonged high revs.

ps. the NT might be close to the same weight or even heavier than your R-series Beemer? My ABS model weighs around 575 lbs.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
So I came upon this Honda NT700 and I wasn’t actually looking for one. I was riding a big heavy BMW R series and I needed something lighter. I love the bike, but I keep search for 6th gear. I’m not used to a bike revving 4000rpm at 65mph. I haven’t had a 5 speed bike in 20yrs. Can this engine really take all those rpm’s?
The engine is quite happy at 4K rpm all day long. In fact at times when I've been in states with 80mph speed limits I've cruised for hours at 85 mph. I've got 137K on the clock with no oil consumption between changes. Ride without fear!

Mike

OP
OP
Charlie U
Bike
‘10 NT700VA ‘10 HD Trike
It is more a psychological problem for the rider than a mechanical problem for the engine. Yes, it revs when riding at 65+ mph but doesn't seem to mind and none of the long mileage guys have reported any problems (extreme wear, oil consumption, etc) caused by prolonged high revs.

ps. the NT might be close to the same weight or even heavier than your R-series Beemer? My ABS model weighs around 575 lbs.
Thank for your reply. Yes, something I’m not used to. I am a Right leg amputee. The BMW was over 700lbs, R1200clc. It was sort of a oddball bike but it rode like a magic carpet and was simple to work on, and very reliable. However at 62 and the leg issue I couldn’t back it out of parking spaces and my garage anymore. I did enjoy it, but I found this little gem and I’m loving it. You set my mind at ease. Thanks!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Charlie, in 2013, I retired and took my "Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador," 80 days, and 21K miles. Particularly on the San Ysidro, CA, to Key West leg of the Four Corners, I was in areas where if I had ridden at 65mph, I'd have been run over! I found out that the NT could run comfortably at 90mph even in temps that were between 100-105F. As Mike said above, I never used any oil in the time I owned the bike. I traded it in 2020 for a bike that was 16 serial numbers older but only had 22K miles. My 1st NT had 139K on it when I made the trade. The only real problems I had in that 139miles were: 1) I had to have the rear drive rebuilt twice, both times after Honda mechanics changed rear tires and didn't lube the splines; 2) a fuel pump that died at about 128K miles. I think what places the limit on acceptable rpm is most often piston speed. The NT has a short stroke, so piston speeds don't get out of hand until somewhere around 10Krpm.

Bike
2010 NT700V
There's a redline and rev limiter before the engine gets to critical reciprocating speeds. Those engineers are smart at times. The NT is free to play anywhere below 8,500 RPM. I've held it at 6K for hours crossing entire time zones.

OP
OP
Charlie U
Bike
‘10 NT700VA ‘10 HD Trike
Charlie, in 2013, I retired and took my "Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador," 80 days, and 21K miles. Particularly on the San Ysidro, CA, to Key West leg of the Four Corners, I was in areas where if I had ridden at 65mph, I'd have been run over! I found out that the NT could run comfortably at 90mph even in temps that were between 100-105F. As Mike said above, I never used any oil in the time I owned the bike. I traded it in 2020 for a bike that was 16 serial numbers older but only had 22K miles. My 1st NT had 139K on it when I made the trade. The only real problems I had in that 139miles were: 1) I had to have the rear drive rebuilt twice, both times after Honda mechanics changed rear tires and didn't lube the splines; 2) a fuel pump that died at about 128K miles. I think what places the limit on acceptable rpm is most often piston speed. The NT has a short stroke, so piston speeds don't get out of hand until somewhere around 10Krpm.
Wow! Quite a story. Thanks for email mail. Much appreciated!

OP
OP
Charlie U
Bike
‘10 NT700VA ‘10 HD Trike
There's a redline and rev limiter before the engine gets to critical reciprocating speeds. Those engineers are smart at times. The NT is free to play anywhere below 8,500 RPM. I've held it at 6K for hours crossing entire time zones.
Thanks for the reply, I’m seeing there is a lot of love for these bikes and I now have faith in it!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Any of us that had Kawasaki C10s were always reaching for 7th gear.....the bike really needed it. I would have enjoyed my NT having a bit of a lower first and a tad higher fifth but it was really ok.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I find myself not reaching for a 6th gear on the NT anywhere near as often as I hunted for 7th on the C10 Concours!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
On my recently acquired 2013 CB500F, the shifter becomes rock hard in 1st and in 6th so it's a clear indication that I'm at the end of the line for downshifts/upshifts. This is contrary to my NT where the shifter still has play in 1st and 5th.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I’ve tried (unsuccessfully) to up-shift my Concours and my NT when I was already in top gear. But I have the opposite problem with my Tiger. When passing through small towns I fail to up-shift to 6th sometimes. When I check my dash screen I see that I’m in 5th or even 4th gear. The engine is so smooth that it gives very little feedback.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
The engine can run comfortably at 80-85 mph all day with no issues whatever. I have ridden mine like that for 80K miles and not one problem or drop of oil

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I’ve tried (unsuccessfully) to up-shift my Concours and my NT when I was already in top gear. But I have the opposite problem with my Tiger. When passing through small towns I fail to up-shift to 6th sometimes. When I check my dash screen I see that I’m in 5th or even 4th gear. The engine is so smooth that it gives very little feedback.
Happens with my FJR all the time. And it is only a 5 speed tranny. The bike is either real smooth or I am real forgetful.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My VFR is like that.....I will be happy as a clam at 75 mph and look down and I am in fifth gear.....
It is odd to me that the current and last gen FJR had a sixth gear, which it didnt need....and they made the new sixth a bit taller than the old fifth but they also made 1st gear a bit taller. Go figure.
Close ratio gear boxes make no sense except on a race bike.....on the Connie, I would as a matter of course skip gears......

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Close ratio gear boxes make no sense except on a race bike.....on the Connie, I would as a matter of course skip gears......
Yes, I usually go 1-3-5-6. And only use the clutch when shifting more than one gear. When shifting only one gear I just “pauses” the throttle and shift. It is quick and smooth.

Top Bottom