Final gear oil.

triocz

Hello all.I have NT for 2days..Can I use oil SAE 85W-90 for final gear?Thanks.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It's pretty difficult to find straight 80 weight oil as most refiners have gone to 85w-90. I believe that even the Honda stuff is 85w-90.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Actually, just about any 80, 85-90 will work just fine. I change it every 2 years as it is quick and easy to do.

Bike
Black Deauville NT700
I was going to scream “NO!”, but then looked up the specifications.

There is no mention of molybdenum disulphide (MoS2) as an ingredient. MoS2 and roller races do not go together and in the rear gearbox there is a roller race. The rational is that the MoS2 is too slippery and leads to the skidding of rollers. The skidding causes wear and premature failure.

However, the Liqui Moly GL5 is common hypoid oil containing no MoS2. I have not researched the weight aspect.

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
From
I was going to scream “NO!”, but then looked up the specifications.

There is no mention of molybdenum disulphide (MoS2) as an ingredient. MoS2 and roller races do not go together and in the rear gearbox there is a roller race. The rational is that the MoS2 is too slippery and leads to the skidding of rollers. The skidding causes wear and premature failure.

However, the Liqui Moly GL5 is common hypoid oil containing no MoS2. I have not researched the weight aspect.
From Bob the oil guy...
Technical papers exist which say it is a fact, not fallacy that MoS2 is not recommended for needle bearings.

And I believe the evidence of my own eyes in that years ago I saw many more needle bearing failures which involved the use of MoS2, and that now that I do not use it in needle bearings, I haven't had a single failure. MoS2 will never see any of my u-joint spiders.

My trucks require MoS2 in the propeller shaft splines, but specifically warn against it in the u-joint spiders, and I adhere to this.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1833288

Very interesting. Thanks for pointing this out. I have never heard of skidding needle bearings.

Top Bottom