Finding 1/8" ball bearings on floor near NT.

ett

Today for the fourth time. I've found a 1/8" ball bearing on the floor of my garage near my NT.

The first time I found such a ball bearing was the first time I changed the NT's oils after purchasing the NT last Fall.
I found two ball bearings while changing the oils another time.
I found a ball bearing one morning when I went to roll the NT off it's center stand and out of the garage.
And there may have been another time I found a ball bearing laying underneath the NT while I was just walking through the garage.

While it's possible these ball bearings are not from my NT.
It is very coincidental that they are being found under or very near my NT and they only started appearing after purchasing the NT last Fall.
I've only found them in my wooden floored garage. And never found them anywhere else I parked the NT.
Although I probably would not notice a ball bearing in paved parking lot at work.

Assuming they are from my NT. Where could they be coming from ? Center stand ? Shaft drive ? Steering stem ? Etc .... ?

Thanks;
--ET

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I haven't replaced my headstem bearings yet so I don't know what size the balls are but I would have thought they might be bigger than that.
That size is more like wheel bearing size. The swingarm uses roller bearings so it can't be from there. The two stands don't have bearings, as such.
Hopefully, they are not from the bike but check for freeplay in the forks and wheel bearings before your next ride.

Macka

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've never had any ball bearings fall out of anything, but this reminds me that one of the things I did to my NT at about 50-60K was to replace the headstem bearings. My mechanic recommended going with roller bearings from AllBalls.com.

I'd think that there must be significant play in the headstem if that many bearings have come out of it. I'd also be surprised that you're not feeling anything when you ride.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Could it be that the previous owner had some maintenance done which resulted in the ball bearings falling into the Tupperware somewhere and that over time, they are finding there way out and onto your garage floor?

Seagrass

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If the bearings are coming from your NT I think it has to be from the steering stem. I believe those are the only loose bearings. The wheel bearings are sealed and it's unlikely those bearings could be set free.

OP
OP
ett

ett

Could it be that the previous owner had some maintenance done which resulted in the ball bearings falling into the Tupperware somewhere and that over time, they are finding there way out and onto your garage floor?

Seagrass
I hadn't considered this.
Since there is absolutely no play in any wheel or steering; I think this makes the most sense.

Perhaps the previous owner was of the "ball bearing over the shoulder to stop tailgaters" crowd ? :shrug2:

Thanks everyone !

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
That is a useful purpose of ball bearings, ot marbles. or just some pea gravel. Not that I have any knowledge of these methods as I am just a young innocent nice guy!:)

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
If you have a wooden floored garage is there a low spot where you part the NT so that any ball bearings from anywhere around it would roll to the low spot?

Brad

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I'm fairly certain the steering stem bearings are "caged" and not loose as is common for a bicycle. And 1/8" diameter is way too small for a road bike steering bearing - double that size would be the norm.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Do you konw any "practical jokers"? Putting nuts, bolts, bearings, washers, fluids, etc under a machine is an old joke, but still effective. If they are from the NT they should have some grease or grease film on them. I doubt they are from the NT because a bearing loose enough to drop out ball bearings would certainly be noticable. Could they be BBs?

Tonydtiger1971

That is a useful purpose of ball bearings, ot marbles. or just some pea gravel. Not that I have any knowledge of these methods as I am just a young innocent nice guy!:)
I find brake fluid in a squirt gun to work better. :)

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
When I find 1/8 inch ball bearings on the floor in my garage they are usually from one of my garage door rollers going bad. If you have the standard wheels in a track garage door system look for a roller/wheel that has lost some bearings, it will be the wobbly one!.

Bike
2010 silver NT700v
I was finding small ball bearings on the floor......turn out to be from my cheap floor jack wheels......which i used for lifting my bike....

OP
OP
ett

ett

OP here,

Found it !

Turns out it was one of the casters on my mechanics stool.

Thanks for all the replies and hints everyone !

--ET

Top Bottom