Finished my DL650A Tape Job

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That looks good... I'm a big fan of reflective tape jobs as I prefer having safety gear that doesn't require any power just in case the battery fails....

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Wow! If that doesn't get someone's attention then nothing will! Looks good.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
This is a great source for many types of reflective tape - I ended up using the Reflexite Prismatic tape.
http://www.colebrothers.com/
IIRC that is the same place I bought a 150 foot roll of One inch wide FD1403 Reflexite Sew On SOLAS Coast Guard Approved Marine Tape to add more visibility to my jackets, tank bags, and other cloth "stuff".... That product is listed on their website Here. So far I have had no issues with it on my gear...it still looks new. My local seamstress had a few choice comments about sewing it on though!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Nice! I like your pannier setup too. I spent some time looking at the new vstroms and luggage options. Maybe it was the photos and wide angle lenses, but yours look narrow, and tight. Many of the vstrom setups looked too wide to me, but yours likes just right. Are they Jesse's? When I was checking them out I liked the Jesse's the best and they weren't as wide as others.

The NT spoils those of us that have one. Even with the big lids the bike is narrower than most touring bikes with similar capacity.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Nice! I like your pannier setup too. I spent some time looking at the new vstroms and luggage options. Maybe it was the photos and wide angle lenses, but yours look narrow, and tight. Many of the vstrom setups looked too wide to me, but yours likes just right. Are they Jesse's? When I was checking them out I liked the Jesse's the best and they weren't as wide as others.

The NT spoils those of us that have one. Even with the big lids the bike is narrower than most touring bikes with similar capacity.
They are Jesse's. About as wide as anything else out there, overall 38 inches. One reason I put the tape on them is it makes them look less boxy and out of place IMO. I think Jesse does the best job at trying to keep the bags as close in as possible and symmetric. The mounting racks are tougher than the bike frame itself I think, just amazing. I also have the tool tube for chain lube on the left which helps hide that space.

The top-loading bags are great, I've never liked side-loading bags as you loose so much packing space IMO. Once you have some top loading ones you get spoiled, and the Jesse lids have a retainer integrated to keep something there.. I'll roll up my rain gear in one and heated gear in the other.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
They are Jesse's. About as wide as anything else out there, overall 38 inches. One reason I put the tape on them is it makes them look less boxy and out of place IMO. I think Jesse does the best job at trying to keep the bags as close in as possible and symmetric. The mounting racks are tougher than the bike frame itself I think, just amazing. I also have the tool tube for chain lube on the left which helps hide that space.

The top-loading bags are great, I've never liked side-loading bags as you loose so much packing space IMO. Once you have some top loading ones you get spoiled, and the Jesse lids have a retainer integrated to keep something there.. I'll roll up my rain gear in one and heated gear in the other.

I have learned to live with the side loading lids on the NT. they work well with bike and the bestem liners help too. My Dr has top loading dry bags and they seem to work with this bike. If i ever end up with a wee-strom i will probably go with Jesses hard luggage.

tawilke46

Nice job, Joe. Very neat. I like the matching orange reflective tape on the bags. Looks cool during the day.
Has the ST been out of the stall lately??????

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I don't like side-loading either. I'm plannng on getting Givi's new Outback ones when they finally bring them to the states later this year. Perhaps a tax return gift to myself next year! :D

Joe, the tape looks great. I like the dual-color - stands out more than just sing;e color tailbrights.

And I gotta mention again how much I love that color orange of the bike! If the next model Tiger Explorer comes in that color I'm going to find myself in a predicament! (the 800's have had that color so I know it's in their existing palette).

And now to derail the thread - how do you like the wee strom compared to the Super Ten? Guessing because of the weight you like it a lot better off the pavement.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
And I gotta mention again how much I love that color orange of the bike! If the next model Tiger Explorer comes in that color I'm going to find myself in a predicament! (the 800's have had that color so I know it's in their existing palette).
3m sells vinyl vehicle wrap in very affordable sizes - model 1080 and they have burnt orange.... if I were going to change the color, I'd give it a try.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Graphics/3Mgraphics/Products/Series1080/

how do you like the wee strom compared to the Super Ten? Guessing because of the weight you like it a lot better off the pavement.
I like it because it is lighter but really doesn't feel much lighter, the yamaha did a great job of hiding it's weight.

The super ten had more vibes than the vstrom believe it or not. The suspension is stiffer on the vstrom which is good as I always felt the super ten suspension was way too soft.
The chain was a worry but the more I experience it the less it appears to be a factor.
The one area where the super ten does better is traction control - the wee doesn't have any - and also the Tour/Sport modes. The super ten is great in dirt with the tour mode as the throttle isn't as touchy and you can creep along in 1st with almost no clutch work and it won't stall... you need more rpms and/or clutch work on the vstrom.

Both bikes are great, I like the cost of owning and operating the VStrom so that's enough for me.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Joe,
That's the sharpest Wee I have seen. Most of the ones around here look like they should run the Dakar but rarely leave the pavement.

Top Bottom