[Review] First Gear Silverstone

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I had been using a moto centric 14L magnetic tank bag which I did like a lot. however, it did get all scratched up from my low-side. so while i didn't truly NEED a new one, i went looking anyway :cool:

i tried moto centric's 19L one, but it was way too long in my opinion, so i sent it back.

i next tried First Gear's Silverstone tank bag (not the Silverstone 2, which is bigger, but the first one): http://www.firstgear-usa.com/Luggage/Silverstone/CSSTankBag.html

This one I will keep as I really like the fit on the NT.

The magnets in it are much stronger than the ones in the moto centrics, and as you can see in one of the pics, the magnetic ear flap fits perfectly on the metal of the tank. The problem I have seen with others is they often rest on the plastic covering. With all magnets on metal with this bag, I know it isn't going anywhere.

It is also expandable - a zipper on the bottom gives an inch or two of more vertical space as shown in one of the pics below.

It's not a large bag - maybe medium size, but I really like the fit on the bike. It doesn't interefere with the bars at all. And the color looks pretty good on the faster silver to boot!

It comes with a clear raincover. The plastic material is a bit thick so it doesn't pack too small. I'm sure it works fine, but I plan to use the cover to my old moto centric bag as it packs down really small to fit inside an inside pocket on the Silverstone.

edit: almost forgot: it comes with a strap on the top, and two on the bottom which i assume is to connect to an optional strap mount base. they just got in the way, so i cut them off. the bag also comes with a shoulder strap.

$80 at the superstore: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/2727/ITEM/Firstgear-Silverstone-Tank-Bag.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Re: Another Tank Bag Review: First Gear Silverstone

I like the Silverstone bags. I have the Silverstone II and it works well for me. Good quality and as you say it looks good in silver.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Re: Another Tank Bag Review: First Gear Silverstone

It looks real good. Does it interfere with the handlebars or switchgear in full lock turns?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
That's what I'm wondering Phil. The heated grip control module got in the way of me enjoying a GIVI tank bag so had to return it. :( Hopefully this one will work.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
That's what I'm wondering Phil. The heated grip control module got in the way of me enjoying a GIVI tank bag so had to return it.

Greg, I took my heated grip control module off the bike and bent the mounting bracket maybe 30 degrees and haven't turned the grips on accidently since. It was an easy fix and I felt kind of stupid that I hadn't thought of it sooner. Like maybe 15 months sooner. :)

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Doesn't interfere with the bars, but I can't comment on heated grip switches as I do not have them.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I have the Firstgear Onyx Expandable Magnetic Tank Bag. It's larger than the Silverstone. Reasonably priced, and works well for me. You have to position it carefully to avoid accidentally turning on the heated grips--this happened to me only once then I got the hang of where to position it. I use the bungee cords that come with the bag to further anchor it.

Top Bottom