First Mountain Ride of 2011

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Today I joined old friends from the Concours Owners Group (though not many of us still belong, but that's a whole other story) for our annual Spring kick-off event: The Wrench and Wretch.

We meet 12 miles west of Lyons, CO, up South St Vrain Canyon (look at your atlas and you'll find Colorado Hiway 7). There's usually a valve adjustment, sometimes some tire mounting, fork seal replacing, etc. There's always a lot of catching up, tire-kicking, lie-swapping, and eating. Today there were 13 of us there. One NT, one Goldwing 1800, one ST1100, four Connie 14s, two C-10s, two KLRs, one FZ1 and one poor pilgrim who drove 200 miles rather than ride his wife's Nomad. He has C-14 and the saddle is in some place called Lake Shasta City, California, getting turned into a Russell DayLong. There were five Russells there and one Sargent gel-foam revision.

As the festivities came to an end at around three, three of us (two C-14, one NT) got on the Peak-to-Peak highway to Estes Park. We hadn't gone four miles when we rode into snow. It got pretty hard for a while and stuck to my windshield and wet the road. But it didn't slow us down as much as the traffic. We rode down Big Thompson Canyon to Loveland and split up there. I got to Greeley (50 miles from home and realized that I had left my Kindle at our host's house. Can't do without the Kindle, so I called to make sure he was there and rode down to Longmont and Lyons and back up South St Vrain Canyon. 2.5 miles from Rick's house, there was a wreck -- fire trucks, Sheriff's cars, and an ambulance leaving with no lights or apparent hurry. The wreck seemed to be a single-vehicle incident and the vehicle was a Buell of some sort. The front end was dinged up, but the bike didn't actually look too bad. I hope the ambulance was empty, but will probably never find out. Got home at 8:00, making for a 13-hour day and rode 256 miles. Calm when I left, very windy and gusty in the mountains, snow, sunshine, calm as I left the mountains, but then very windy and gusty back out here on the Plains. Typical of Colorado ... a wide diversity of weather and roads.

I saw an owl fly across the road maybe 100 feet in front of me, mule deer grazing -- well off the road, thank goodness -- hawks building their nests, and a flock of 9-10 great blue herons. I've never seen herons in a flock before.

Lots of bikes out -- almost as many sport-tourers and adventure bikes as sport bikes and cruisers.

Gotta' go and get ready for work now!

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
You need an inexpensive little digital camera that you can keep in a pocket....

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
The triennial gathering of the Lape family reunion has happened several times at the YMCA center outside of Winter Park. We rode by Cage several times sight seeing. I had pictures these pictures in my mind as I read your post. I'd love to ride the mountains sometime.

I'm in CT for grand kid birthday. The present was so big we had to the cage. Got to train my wife to buy the presents on line and ship directly to the kids so we can ride.

I'm jealous reading of the adventures of folks who have more liberty to take off and ride, but our time will come this summer. Right now my ride is my ride, practical transportation with a big smile.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I agree, and I think even Phil has said this:.....:worthless:

I was in Fry's yesterday and they had "no name" pocket 6MP digital cameras with 3X optic zoom for $18. Nothing fancy but better than most cell phone "cameras"....

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've got one. As I was getting to Longmont (the first time) yesterday morning, I thought to myself, "Dadgummit! Forgot the camera!"

I'm thinking about a slightly more expensive digital camera, though. I learned from Steve Hobart, retired California Highway Patrolman, LD rider and the photograpy guy for Ironbutt, the IBA magazine, that one of the things that can make for better photography is the ability to select f-stop or shutter speed instead of just having all the features automated. Anybody got any recommendations? (Guess I ought to look for a thread or start a new one, huh?)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The triennial gathering of the Lape family reunion has happened several times at the YMCA center outside of Winter Park
I go there every October for a clergy retreat. I almost always ride but there's usually interesting weather and semi-challenging conditions on at least one leg of the trip. It was coming back from Winter Park to Fort Morgan last fall that I got my all-time best range and mileage out of a tank gas. 264 miles and 64mpg. Admittedly, that included a 4000' net loss in altitude and 50 miles in Rocky Mountain National Park with a 35mph speed limit.

BTW, if you're coming from New York to Winter Park, the odds are pretty fair that you used Interstate 76, a fairly short (190 miles or so) link between I-80 at Big Spring, Nebraska, and I-70 in Denver. I'm at Exit 80. If you come through again, holler, and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

1TRAK

Thanks for the ride report Phil, great variety for a day ride! I leave a camera in my tank bag for just such occasions which usually works until I forget fresh batteries, so don't feel to bad.

I use a Canon A1100IS point and shoot for most of my travels, it has all the modes you'll need, color enhancment, and the program mode you mentioned. I use that mode most of the time as it lets you add or subtract light for different effects.
I like this camera so much I'm on my second one after dropping the first one to many times!

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I go there every October for a clergy retreat. I almost always ride but there's usually interesting weather and semi-challenging conditions on at least one leg of the trip. It was coming back from Winter Park to Fort Morgan last fall that I got my all-time best range and mileage out of a tank gas. 264 miles and 64mpg. Admittedly, that included a 4000' net loss in altitude and 50 miles in Rocky Mountain National Park with a 35mph speed limit.

BTW, if you're coming from New York to Winter Park, the odds are pretty fair that you used Interstate 76, a fairly short (190 miles or so) link between I-80 at Big Spring, Nebraska, and I-70 in Denver. I'm at Exit 80. If you come through again, holler, and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.
Yeah, love to meet up one of these days. Do you ever come east for some clergy gathering. Doubt if we'll be out to the YMCA place again soon. We found a place in Michigan(above Travess City) that everyone loves.

But we do see some extended bike camping trips in our future plans so who knows.

Igo

I've got one. As I was getting to Longmont (the first time) yesterday morning, I thought to myself, "Dadgummit! Forgot the camera!"

I'm thinking about a slightly more expensive digital camera, though. I learned from Steve Hobart, retired California Highway Patrolman, LD rider and the photograpy guy for Ironbutt, the IBA magazine, that one of the things that can make for better photography is the ability to select f-stop or shutter speed instead of just having all the features automated. Anybody got any recommendations? (Guess I ought to look for a thread or start a new one, huh?)
Start at Consumer Reports and CNET then move to Steve's Digicams. Look at "dSLR Like" cameras.

Top Bottom