First real ride

I took the NT out this morning for a shakedown ride. I went 250 miles over super-slab, back roads, and the twisties over Skyline Drive. The first part of the ride was the super-slab and the bike was great. At about 80 I started to feel some vibrations in the grips but it disappeared when I dropped the speed to 75, and that is a speed I prefer anyway. The nicest part was that when I wanted to pass someone going 75 I opened the throttle a bit and I was doing 85 just that quick. I can't get over the difference between my cruiser and this bike. Keeping the revs up makes every move that much quicker. I love it! Cruising on the back roads was also very nice. Going thru small towns with their stop signs and slow traffic was easy as pie. The best part came when I got to Rt 211 and went over Skyline Drive. I thought I would have to go slow because of being on a new bike with different ergos but I don't think I ever got over the mountain as fast as I did this morning. The bike just seems to find its own line and needed very little input from me. I have a bad lower back and usually have to wear a brace if I'm going to ride more than 200 miles but today I was fine. I think I will add MCL risers and make it even better. I've never ridden a sports bike so I didn't know what to expect when I bought the NT but I don't believe I will ever go back to a cruiser. This is too good.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The nice thing is that the bike gets smoother as the miles rack up. I also see that you, like me, don't believe in the Honda break in method. The rings seat much better when you ride it like you stole it from the outset. I changed to synthetic oil at 1000 miles and noticed that the bike ran smoother. It just gets better. A long time ago, I had a cruiser for one month.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I have a bad lower back and usually have to wear a brace if I'm going to ride more than 200 miles but today I was fine.

Cnille, The NT doesn't have sport-bike ergonomics. You'd be bent way more at every bending point on a sports-bike. Sport-touring ergos like we have let you sit more upright and don't bend your knees and neck as much. I've got a buddy with a bad lower back who rides an ST1100 and his back doctor looked at him sitting on the ST and promptly wrote him a prescription requiring him to ride at least 500 miles/week. His wife tells me she can tell before he can when he needs to ride for the sake of his back. When she sees the symptoms, she throws him out to "go ride!"

I keep trying to get my doc to write a similar prescription and he won't do it.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I too will never look back to a cruiser. The ergonomics of the NT are far superior. It took me a while to figure out that the NT thrived on higher rpms. You're way ahead of me on that one!

Bike
Silver NT700V
Great report Cnille. I was just up that way for Thanksgiving. My late wife's aunt lives in Mechanicsville, just outside Richmond. I lived in Fairfax for 9 years and started riding up there in 2008. Did a lot of rides out towards Middleburg and Winchester. Being short or arm, I found the MCL risers helped my posture on the NT.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Glad you enjoy your new NT... I love mine. When I decided to get back into motorcycling L looked at numerous new bikes and I "almost" resigned myself to getting a cruiser since that was apparently all that was available. Then I found the NT. Back in the day all bikes 'cept Harleys and choppers had the ergo's you like about the NT. I just couldn't see myself being comfortable with my arms and legs all splayed out ala cruiser. I'm glad someone still makes a more traditional bike.

Mike

OP
OP
Cnille
Care needs to be taken to adjust shift lever so left foot is either over or under it as you ride---this keeps foot pointing straight ahead...
I seem tyo be riding with my toe pointed down, splayed out at a 45 degree angle so I don't hit the shift lever. Yesterday my toe hit the ground in the twisties. I'm sure that is not a good thing.

OP
OP
Cnille
I remember the first time my floorboards hit the ground. The noise scared me so bad I had to stop for an undergarment change.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Ah, some of you guys should remember the old days with fixed pegs. Dragging one of those was a bit hairy as it meant you were soon going to run out of traction as the tires were levered up :) Only did it a few times, and luckily never did low-side.

And glad you got some more miles on your bike. They are fun.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Ah, some of you guys should remember the old days with fixed pegs. Dragging one of those was a bit hairy as it meant you were soon going to run out of traction as the tires were levered up :) Only did it a few times, and luckily never did low-side.

And glad you got some more miles on your bike. They are fun.
It wasn't too bad when it was the rubber grinding away but when you got to the internal metal post that would get your attention real quick.

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I would suggest you look at the "Rox-Risers" with the rubber inserts for vibration. 1" up and 1" back , and the original cables just do reach OK. I love mine. Plus the "Spencer" seat re-foam as described in this forum, makes for long ride comfort.

bicyclist

As usual, T.J. nailed it. The NT is a versatile bike. Maybe not great at anything, but good at everything. It'll run the slab straight up with good air management, carry a load, hook down the twists, putt into town and squeeze through places that bikes with bags won't fit. It's an extremely competent motorcycle.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Actually I think its a "great" commuter and light touring bike. When riding on the back roads it handles the curves as good as my abilities can manage and it will get 60+ mpg to boot. As a commuter bike it has great carrying capacity, low maintenance, stops and accelerates better than most traffic and still gets 50mpg's. For me the NT rates as an A+ motorcycle.

Top Bottom