First ride of the season

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Today was the first ride of the season. There is still considerable snow here. In some places the snowbanks were half way across my lane.
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg
With the woods still 100% snow covered it got a little chilly.

My riding buddy couldn't make it out of his driveway - not even with his 4 wheel drive pick-up. Here is a picture of his driveway.
IMG_0016.jpg
The washout (not shown) later got to be about 5' wide and 2' deep and it is getting worse with the spring thaw. He won't be able to even work on it for a week or so.

I rode for well over 100 miles and didn't see another bike at all, and this on one of our best days of the year.
I didn't see a single deer either. I'm afraid the winter took a huge toll on the critters. I don't mind seeing deer, it is the ones I don't see that are the bad ones.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Great you finally been able to get in the saddle. Winter has been very long for so many in the northern areas.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Jim, It sounds like you are upand running now!!

I went to my Honda dealer today and droped off the NT, Tires oil & filter & diff oil, and getting the front end checked for slop. Then I got caugh up in a web and ended up riding home on a brand new CRF 250L dual sport bike. It rook me 40 miles to get home in the rain!It was a little on thecool side as I just put the stich over street coths and it got a bit on the cold side. I need to get a power cord hooked up so I can usethe garbing liner , or at least my heated bib from Aerostich. I bought a heated set of grips, a luggage rack and a lowering kit ! FArkle , Farkle!!

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
That sounds like a fun bike Eldon. I've thought about one of those for myself, but so far restrained myself. Good for you - you got a new bike. A friend of mine who lives a few hundred miles south had to buy a new lawn mower. You got a better deal than he did.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Originally Posted by junglejim
I'm relieved and excited that the winter took a huge toll on the critters.
fixed for you...
Thanks for your "help", but I really don't mind the deer too much. You just learn to ride with the consideration that deer are around. I've only hit one - actually he hit me. I saw deer on the side of the narrow road and I was slowing down from by 45 mph initial speed. The deer that hit me came bolting, head down, out of the brush which was only about 10' from the road. He drove his head into my head tube. I stayed up and rode to a stop. It was then I realized that I had rolled on a little bit of throttle at the moment of impact and that allowed me to stay up. If I had been on the brakes I'd certainly would have gone down. I didn't do it consciously, but it was just a reaction (and a bit of luck). Radiators are expensive.

Top Bottom