First Ride: Spyder RT-S w/SE6

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Several of you were curious about what my thoughts were about my new addition....
Washington requires an additional endorsement for 3 wheel bikes. I took a 30 question test (it was pretty tough actually) yesterday and I got my "permit" to ride legally on the street. The dealer (Westside Motorsports in Spokane) is also a state testing center for both the written and performance exam. Based on the skills I demonstrated on their course, the instructor didn?t feel I needed to take the whole 16 hour course, so I got the permit so I can ride it and get the feel before taking my performance exam.

Today I only had time for 50 miles or so on a local 25 mile loop I ride when I need to ?stretch my motorcycle legs? that has a great mix of roads: residential, city arterial, state 2 lane highway, and county 2 lane road. Other than super slab, it has all of the roadways covered and a nice mix of turns and surface conditions. For now, it's my practice loop.
As humbling as it is to an experienced rider, it is an entirely different style and method of riding, and, yes, counter-steering is not going to work successfully. There is still some leaning involved to keep the chassis from loading up. It?s funny, going into a turn, either rolling off the throttle or a little brake gets the nose down and weight transferred, then a little rider weight shift keeps the suspension from overloading to "outside" of the turn, but then rolling back into the throttle at the apex makes the Spyder feel like it's on rails. I will say this, it was very responsive in 4th gear at 55-60 and there was no buzzing or vibration, something BRP worked on for the 2014 models. One a few occasions, I kicked it up to 60+ and put her in 6th gear. But it is very tall and seems much more like an overdrive to me. Probably enough riders griped (sound familiar) about the 5 speed tranny that BRP decided that going with the 1330 triple gave then enough justification to add 6th gear. It will help fuel economy, I suspect. I do know one thing, when you punch it from a dead stop at a light, you are gone!

As I play with the electronic suspension dampening, I'm sure with experience I will be able to dial in the proper suspension stiffness to the load weight and road conditions to the point it will effect handling in a positive way. I know one thing, you have to be actively "on the bars" because unlike a butt shift or a slight torso lean here and there, you have to actually steer this baby. Unless it?s in a parking lot, a 2 wheelers bar probably does move more than 2-4 degrees L or R at any time at highway speeds, but you really have to work the bar on the Spyder.

Nearly unanimous opinion was centered on getting the SE6 tranny. Though there is no clutch lever with an automatic clutch, it does have to be manually upshifted but it downshifts automatically or manually, so that is unusual. I do love the paddle shifter and am getting close to learning the shift points. There is an ECO automatic system that has an upshift indicator, but most turn it off, as did I. Also, there is no hand brake lever for the front brakes, only a foot pedal for the combined ABS. My NT has the combined ABS also, but you had to use both the front lever and rear pedal to activate, as you all know. It?s just funny to not have the levers to pull any more.

So far, I'm loving the Spyder. It?s a way different machine to operate than a 2 wheeler, but not difficult. So far, I?ve been able to check my 2-wheel hubris at the garage door and approach it as a rookie might, not with any fear or nervousness, just utmost respect. Focusing on learning new riding techniques has brought about an excitement and renewed focus on the sheer joy of riding. Whether I?m riding the Spyder or the NT, a day on a bike is better than any day at the office.

See ya in about 12 days.
Len

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Len,

The MSF Basic RiderCourse - 3-Wheel is well worth the money if it is offered in your area. After I bought the Tri-Glide my wife and I took the Three Wheel class together and both of us learned a lot from it. The hardest part of going to three wheels for me was not counter steering...and the work out your shoulders can get on a "conventional" trike. My wife, who has limited riding experience, took right to three wheels as she didn't need to "unlearn" 40 years of good and bad riding habits...:rolleyes1:

Please keep up dating your review of your Spyder as my wife really likes the passenger seating on the RT. With the new, bigger motor I'll probably be giving the Spyder another look.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanx for the intro review, Len. I look forward to meeting you and seeing the Spyder in Spearfish.

kenstone

Thanks for the review
Do you still put your foot down when you stop:rofl1:
sorry for what I typed right there :redface:

Bike
2010 Red NT700
One thing I have noticed out on the road: Everyone I have come across at gas stations and coffee shops who is riding a CanAm looks awful happy

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
After work last night I was going to downtown Nashville for a coworkers retirement party and I passed a Spyder pulling a small enclosed trailer. It looked like a pretty neat set up.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I'm intrigued by the three-wheel concoctions out there, both what's available and what is still concept.

I like that they're available so there are more options to appeal to more people. Thanks for sharing your initial commentary, will look forward to your continued thoughts.

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself - that's far and away the most important thing!! Stay safe!!

Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
I rode a Can-am RS at Laconia last week @ the Demo event there.

Anyone thinking about one of these NEEDS to go on a long test ride. My brain is wired for two wheelers and its a radically different experience. I talked to a gentleman with a bad left wrist and left leg and he loved it cause it got him out in the wind again. I also talked to a guy with no motorcycle experience and he was totally stoked to ride one around the parking lot. (cone course) I also talked to the other riders in my demo group, overall we did not like the trike experience. I wanted off in less than 1 mile. Can-am can sell me a scooter or a jet ski, trikes aren't my thing. BUT....

Seems like there is a real need for this type of vehicle and Can-am is a pretty good company. I love free enterprise!
And I think its cool that people who would not get on a bike for whatever reason can and will get on a Can-am. That means more people in the motorcycling community as a whole and that is fantastic news. We need new blood in this sport. Yay for trikes!

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
My brother got a new 2013 Spyder RT (semi-automatic) last fall, and I had a chance to ride it quite a bit a few weeks ago. I gotta tell you, it is awesome. Once you get a bit used to it, the traction and stability control becomes more predictable and you can really zip through the twisties. It is indeed a workout, but geez it is fun!

My brother is pretty pissed that he didn't know about the improvements for 2014. The increased power and range (140 miles is about all he can get with his 2013) makes him want to trade up NOW. Kinda hard to justify, though, with less than 5,000 miles on it.

I will definitely have one some day...

OP
OP
enigmatic biker
Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Too bad your brother missed out on the 2014 model. I sure like mine. As I've said, it is a different experience than a 2 wheeler. I have not gotten the chance to get completely used to it yet. I ran into a guy at Cycle Gear today whose wife rides an 2008 RS. She loves it. He and I compared notes on it as well. He claimed it took him almost a 1000 miles before he was comfortable with the lateral movement. They say the Bajaron sway bar help tremendously with cornering and that the lateral movement when going straight is more about easing up on the grips.

Being as new to trikes as I am, and discretion being the better part of valor, I need more learning and seat time on the Spyder before taking a long trip like to Spearfish, so I will be riding the NT this year. I want at least one more trip out of her before the end of the season or possibly selling NT, though it compliments the Spyder well, and now my wife is interested in riding again. She passed her written trike test and is taking a 3 day course in August. Next year, I will definitely ride the Spyder to S-Fish.
Len

Last edited:
Bike
2010 RED NT700V
Yeah, he's working hard to come up with some reasons to go ahead and pull the trigger. I told him to work the safety angle. You know, "That extra power will help me get out of the way of bad drivers. And the extra range will keep me from being stranded in the mountains where I could die. It's a safety issue."

That's how I get stuff for my bike. "Hey Babe, I need to get these big lids so I have room for my first aid kit. It's a safety issue." "I need these heated grips so my hands don't go numb. It's a safety issue."

(Sometimes that actually works!)

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
As long as it's the same color - who would know - just saying... LOL

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Len,

Call me regarding ride to spearfish, as it stands right now I will be solo, and I doubt that it will change between now and Sunday, or Monday.

Eldon 503 989 1247

Top Bottom