First ride...

slider

Ok so after 20 years I get another bike. The awesome (better in person) black NT comes rolling out of the trailer yesterday. It's 15 degrees and a little windy. I'm a little more determined than most so you know I'm taking it for a ride. I put on my Rev It jacket and pants, some work boots and a Qwest. Then a cheap pair of Bilt gloves. I drive out of the driveway like a kid on his first bicycle. Feet down skipping around the turn like the same little kid. Then after about two miles it was like I never stopped riding. I started getting cold hands about 35 miles in. Nothing bad just cold. I drove another 60 miles and ended up back at the house. Then I remembered I had insurance but no tags.

So today it's about 12 degrees and I stop at the tag place on the way home from work (in pickup truck) with title and insurance in hand. I tell them I want tags for my new bike and she says they have to eyeball the vin. What??? So how does that happen if you have no tags??? She says take a picture and email it to yourself then print it out. So I say yeah right and go get the bike. I pull in on the bike and you could see the look on her face. It's 12 out and she's gotta go eyeball a vin. Haha.

Anyway that's all done and she has 142 miles on her now. I put the wind deflectors on and now the $14.99 Bilt gloves are almost as warm as the rest of the stuff. One wonders the mark up on that gear. I think there's no doubt I'll be a year round commuter. I think every car I passed looked at me like I was nuts and I saw no other bike. I was quite toasty.

I think the seat and windshield are fine. I may keep the bars where they are too. I noticed no buzzy bars either. I'm 5' 10" with 32" inseam and can flat foot it. I think I already want 30 more hp but other than that it seems to be built with me in mind. What a treat.

Bike
2011 NT700v
Congratulations on the new ride. I can't imagine riding mine at that temp. hahaha. Good for you.

fltsfshr

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Slider, congrats on the new bike! I ride mine at that temperature (and lower) regularly as my commuter bike. Of course, my commute is only 1.1 miles. You can stand anything for 1.1 mile!

The only time I don't use it is when there's ice on the streets between here and there.

It's good for people to think you're crazy. They are more likely to be afraid. :)

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Congrats on the new NT. From Mar 2012(when you joined) to just now is quite a while to have to wait for the NT. So it does make sense to ride in the very cold weather!! have fun!!

OP
OP

slider

Thanks for the replies. Yep Wood I almost bought two and had a deposit on 1. One was backed over at the dealership by the sales manager, one sold after they had agreed to a price and one guy had one and decided not to sell. I really wanted ABS and really wanted black so it all worked out like it usually does.

Top Bottom