Fixing a small annoying thing resolves a HUGE ongoing problem

kenstone

Fixing a small annoying thing resolves a HUGE ongoing problem.

I was out riding with a new helmet, and began to feel a pressure point that just got worse so I stopped to see what I could do about it.
Most heads (mine for sure) has lumps and bumps that may not conform to the shape of all helmets, so I peeled back the liner and found some ridges in the styrofoam in the area of the pain, and flattened them with my thumb.

I always have a spare pair (or 2) of ear plugs in the helmet liner and thought I'd just plug the exit air vent holes with those ear plugs and maybe it would be warmer.
When I started to ride again, I was shocked that the always present wind roar was reduced to a hiss!

I'm not a big fan of windshields and have shortened my NT shield by 4 inches :shrug2: and I've been buying different helmets and ear plugs for years, searching for piece and quiet.
Who knew the solution was so simple:eek1:

When I got home I pulled out that liner again and "ear plugged" every vent hole I could find, can't wait to try it now, and wanted to share this with you:hat3:.
Sweating is temporary, tinnitus is forever............................

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It'll be interesting to see how hot the helmet is in the summer, Ken. But until then, I might try the same thing (even though my Schuberth is a pretty quiet helmet).

OP
OP

kenstone

Know that when I put the shortened NT windshield all the way up and tuck down behind it all wind roar goes away, so this may not be a problem for others, but I have and ride other bikes without windshields.
I guess the rear vents are exits and do not have anyway to close them, but I will try blocking just these, as they are the closest to my ears, but the gains made by just blocking 2 of the 4 was amazing to me.
Phil:
Thanks for reading and responding to my thread.
It's something anyone can try and is easily reversable.
Ken

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Ken,
I'll have to check my Bell Revolver and Nolan and see if the exit vents can be blocked. That's a good discovery. Where in Idaho are you from. I used to live in Bonners Ferry.

OP
OP

kenstone

I'm in Kuna, near Boise.
I wear a revolver when riding my dirty bike and will be checking it too:wink:
Ken

Top Bottom