Flashlight fetish

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Some of you know that I have three fetishes...coats, watches/travel alarms, and flashlights. (OK, 4....tents) (OK, five...camp stoves)
At the Oshkosh flyin, a guy I camp out with who is a techno geek (He runs simulators for United airlines in Denver) showed me a flashlight I could hardly believe.
Its called the Techlite 200 and there is a very detailed test of it on Amazon. I will post a pic of it below next to the cheep freebe you get at Harbor freight.
This flashlite runs on three AAAs and will run for an hour on high, 4 hours on low, and there is a strobe mode. This thing uses a high tech LED and it is so bright (200 lumens)
you could litterally duct tape it to your helmet and ride at night with your headlight off. And the darn thing is cheep. You get a three pack with batteries for 20 to 30 bucks depending
where you buy it from and who has them on sale. I currently have a few other flashlights on order to compare to it but this thing is hard to beat. My wife and I were laying out on a blanket in the back yard watching the recent meteor shower during a power outage (we live in the country) and a big owl swooped down, got a varmit, and landed. We watched it with this flashlight from 50 yards away, no problem. You could see an owl in the top of a tree at 100 yards....

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I found one of these at walmart

Energizer e2 Lithium 2 AA LED Flashlight

It's 110 lumens and really brighter than you need for camping. I'll use it if I really need to see something in the distance but save it and use the cheaper throw away 3 AAA flashlights or headlights for general tent setup and stuff around the campground. If you need to work on your bike or look for something, this is a great flashlight. You can keep the button pressed and it lowers the intensity but even at that level it's more than you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Ultimate-Lithium-Hand-Light/dp/B001HXGCYM/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1346412669&sr=1-1&keywords=Energizer+e2+Lithium+LED+Flashlight+with+2AA+Lithium+Batteries

Looks like they also have a 90 lumen smaller 4 AAA version as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-ELMCL42L-Lithium-LED-Flashlight/dp/B0018JQ4XY

as well as 1 AA 65 lumens

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Lithium-LED-Flashlight-1AA/dp/B005CIQZSG

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
You can never have to many flashlights...that way at least one of them will have batteries that aren't dead... I have enough AA, AAA, and D cell Maglites scattered among the vehicles, and around the house, to create the candle power of a real searchlight probably...:rolleyes1: The Life Gear Auto Glow I reviewed earlier (Here) is holding up very well and migrated over to the Harley. Inexpensive, recharges quickly and works well...

This one looks interesting for you campers...

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I found one of these at walmart

Energizer e2 Lithium 2 AA LED Flashlight

It's 110 lumens and really brighter than you need for camping. I'll use it if I really need to see something in the distance but save it and use the cheaper throw away 3 AAA flashlights or headlights for general tent setup and stuff around the campground. If you need to work on your bike or look for something, this is a great flashlight. You can keep the button pressed and it lowers the intensity but even at that level it's more than you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Ultimate-Lithium-Hand-Light/dp/B001HXGCYM/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1346412669&sr=1-1&keywords=Energizer+e2+Lithium+LED+Flashlight+with+2AA+Lithium+Batteries

Looks like they also have a 90 lumen smaller 4 AAA version as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-ELMCL42L-Lithium-LED-Flashlight/dp/B0018JQ4XY

as well as 1 AA 65 lumens

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Lithium-LED-Flashlight-1AA/dp/B005CIQZSG
Sorry, but that flashlight is too big, too expensive and too underpowered and needs lithium batterys...
So far, i would have to say the Techlite 200 is the industry standard at 20 bucks for a three pack at Costco
http://www.amazon.com/Techlite-Lumen-Master-High-Intensity-Flashlight/dp/B0074D6PE6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1346452625&sr=1-1&keywords=techlite+200
Chris still looking for the Binford 500.....MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl1:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Sorry, but that flashlight is too big, too expensive and too underpowered and needs lithium batterys...
So far, i would have to say the Techlite 200 is the industry standard at 20 bucks for a three pack at Costco
http://www.amazon.com/Techlite-Lumen-Master-High-Intensity-Flashlight/dp/B0074D6PE6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1346452625&sr=1-1&keywords=techlite+200
Chris still looking for the Binford 500.....MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl1:
I put whatever AA batteries I have and it works just fine, it's not a requirement as much as it is a marketing ploy to sell their higher priced lithium batteries..

But.. I do like that 3 pack.. darn, don't have time to get to costco today before my trip.

tawilke46

I must have a half dozen AA flashlights in drawers all over the house. I would bet most of them have dead batteries in them!
I do have a couple of favorites I use all the time that always have fresh batteries in them.
My Maglite LED double D battery flashlight is my go to for serious stuff.
Also have a small tactical flashlight with strobe next to my bed, just in case.
And of course always a 2-AA Maglite in my tail bag on the NT.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Pilot aphorism: The definition of a flashlight is a device in which you store dead batteries.
I rememeber my flight instructor telling me that back in the 60s!.....I use Sunbeam Alkaline batteries that have due dates out to
2019 (sic) but of course they never last that long.....one nice feature in my headlamp is a battery "state of charge" indicator.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I put whatever AA batteries I have and it works just fine, it's not a requirement as much as it is a marketing ploy to sell their higher priced lithium batteries..

But.. I do like that 3 pack.. darn, don't have time to get to costco today before my trip.
A retired trooper buddy of mine told me about them....he gets them in Costco....sometimes they have deep sales....anyway, I showed mine to my wife and she had to have one, so I just bought
another three pack. One nice thing about these is that, when I worked for the patrol, I had all the flares I wanted so when I came up on an accident, I could put those out to keep (hopefully) from being hit.
With this flashlight, you can put it on Strobe and put it down on the road and alert people comming up from behind that something is amiss. Its also fun to blast people around the campsite at night. I am taking
two to the Reno Air races to have some fun like that. Lord please keep me from over self medicating....amen.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Thanks for the tip, I have been looking for something like this to take with me on the bike.

I have just ordered a 3 pack from Amazon

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks for the tip, I have been looking for something like this to take with me on the bike.

I have just ordered a 3 pack from Amazon
Let me know how you like them. I will be away at the Reno Air races for two weeks but I will check this thread when I get back.

Here is a good review of the product on Amazon...
My name is Al Massicotte (Alofbennington@yahoo.com). I'm a professional broad-spectrum product innovator. But like most who read Amazon reviews, I simply want to buy excellent products at affordable prices.

I bought two 3-packs of this 200-lumen flashlight (Techlite TE-105/200) from Costco four months ago. The regular price for a pack was $20, but it was on sale for $16 ($5.33 per flashlight). And, of course, it comes with Costco's usual lifetime money-back guarantee.

Fortunately, my profession gave me access to test equipment that facilitated an in-depth study of this flashlight. And I am happy to share my findings with the Amazon community, whose vast library of reviews helped me evaluate hundreds of products.

OVERALL DESIGN AND MANUFACTURE

The flashlight has a very smart design. My compliments to the team that created this practical marvel. And it's manufactured with high precision from quality materials.

ILLUMINATION

The flashlight uses just 3 AAA batteries, yet is more illuminating than a traditional flashlight with 3 D batteries. I could barely believe my eyes. This little gadget will light up a big tree on a dark night from a hundred yards away!

Intensity and hue do not noticeably vary from sample to sample.

Reviewers of an earlier model (100-lumen) said an adjustable focus did not work properly. But the 200-lumen model has a fixed focus. Its ingeniously-shaped reflector concurrently delivers both an excellent spotlight (for intense illumination of the target) and an excellent floodlight (for ample peripheral illumination).

COMPACTNESS

Although the flashlight is compact, it fits one's hand comfortably and securely.

I had no hesitation replacing all of my flashlights, big and small, with this palm-sized floodlight. I love that it takes up so little room in my toolbox, glovebox, bedside drawer, kitchen drawer, laundry, and safe room.

In fact, it's even compact and light enough to carry in a pocket or purse. So it's much more likely to be brought along than left at home.

BATTERY RUN TIME TEST METHODOLOGY

I performed a series of tests to determine the run time of a set of batteries, depending on the choice of beam--HIGH, LOW or STROBE.

To assure that test results would not be influenced by differences between flashlight samples, I used the same flashlight throughout the series.

To assure that test results would not be influenced by variations in battery performance or condition, I began every test by loading the flashlight with fresh batteries from the same stock (package of Costco Kirkland alkaline AAA batteries).

I monitored the light output of the flashlight with a photometer (Sekonic L-246 outfitted with a white filter and 10X slide). I nested the head of the flashlight over the filter and took all readings from the meter's black scale. Although the readouts are in nonstandard units, they are in proportion to the volume of light generated by the flashlight. And in these tests that's what matters.

With fresh batteries a beam's brightness will be what I call "full-bright". As the batteries drain, brightness will gradually diminish. But it is presumed that most users will find a beam acceptable so long as its brilliance doesn't fall below "half-bright". Accordingly, "battery run time" is the amount of time a fresh battery pack can deliver a beam at half-bright or better.

It turns out that LOW has a full-bright reading of 100 on the scale; so it is half-bright at 50. HIGH has a full-bright reading of 300; so it is half-bright at 150. STROBE has a full-bright reading of 140; so it is half-bright at 70.

Normally, one would load a fresh set of batteries into a flashlight, then consume them over a period of many months in multiple sessions, each followed by a long rest. It turns out that these rest breaks enable batteries to recover, extending their run time. To approximate this operational scenario in a compressed time frame, each test was broken into a series of five sessions (S1 through S5), separated with rest.

I began each session by starting a count-up timer from zero. Then I selected the beam of interest. When the brilliance dropped to half-bright, I switched off the flashlight and noted the run time.

Each beam was tested in 10 steps: (1) Install fresh batteries. (2) S1. (3) One-hour rest. (4) S2. (5) One-hour rest. (6) S3. (7) One-hour rest. (8) S4. (9) One-day rest. (10) S5.

BATTERY RUN TIME TEST RESULTS

Battery run time on LOW = (226 minutes in S1) + (35 in S2) + (18 in S3) + (7 in S4) + (24 in S5) = 310 minutes. That is, LOW lasts only 3.8 hours in a first session, but 5.2 hours overall.

Battery run time on HIGH = (46 minutes in S1) + (24 in S2) + (4 in S3) + (2 in S4) + (4 in S5) = 80 minutes. That is, HIGH lasts only 0.8 hours in a first session, but 1.3 hours overall.

Battery run time on STROBE = (143 minutes in S1) + (17 in S2) + (21 in S3) + (6 in S4) + (13 in S5) = 200 minutes. That is, STROBE lasts only 2.4 hours in a first session, but 3.3 hours overall.

Reviewers of an earlier model (100-lumen) said an apparent electrical flaw was rapidly draining the battery pack, even when the flashlight was off. It was reported that the battery pack of a flashlight would drain dry in 1 to 6 months of storage. But that's history.

MODE SWITCH

The switch has 4 modes--LOW, HIGH, STROBE and OFF.

Switches found on traditional flashlights are solely mechanical and consume no power. But this flashlight's switch includes electronic circuitry, which consumes power continuously, even in the OFF mode. With fresh batteries, the battery pack drain rate is 260 mA on LOW, 1000 mA on HIGH, 440 mA on STROBE, and 0.010 mA on OFF. Accordingly, the drain rate is 100,000 times as much on HIGH as on OFF. So if the flashlight is stored unused for a year (8760 hours), the OFF loss will be the same as running the flashlight on HIGH for 8760h ? 100,000 = 0.0876h. That's only about 5 minutes (6% of initial overall capacity).

If the flashlight is accidently left on until its beam dies, it will turn off automatically. That will preserve the batteries, which are capable of partial recovery. But then it will no longer be possible to switch the flashlight back on until the following is done: (1) Allow the batteries to rest for an hour or so, if necessary. (2) Remove the cap momentarily, which resets the electronic switch. (3) After the cap is reinstalled, the flashlight will be ready for additional use.

The mode switch button does not protrude beyond its guard ring, so is not prone to accidental actuation. In fact, it must be depressed over 1/16" to activate.

BATTERY CAGE

Many reviewers of a previous model (100-lumen) said the battery cage was brittle and prone to break apart if the flashlight fell as little as half a foot. But the 200-lumen model has a rugged battery cage. I drop-tested one of my 200-lumen flashlights from a height of 4 feet to a sheet of 3/4" plywood that was lying on a concrete floor. I ran one drop with side impact, one with head impact and one with tail impact. Sadly, the plywood sustained considerable damage. But the integrity and performance of the flashlight and cage were unaffected. Finally, I ran the same series of drops with just the fully-loaded cage (no longer protected by the case). Although some batteries popped out upon impact, the cage incurred no apparent damage.

In the event of battery leakage, the cage is likely to prevent corrosive material from attacking the barrel and its electronic components, which are difficult to access for cleaning and burnishing. Whereas the cage is easy to remove, empty, and clean.

STROBE

One use for the strobe is as a locator. It can send a plea for help to people on the ground, on the water or in the air. Possible scenarios include vehicle breakdown, injury on a hike, and urgent need of rescue. I tested the nighttime reach of the strobe on a well-lit street in the suburbs. At a distance of 1300 feet the strobe was still very eye catching. I presume that a rescue pilot could easily spot the signal from a mile away.

A second use is as an emergency caution marker, as might be warranted in a road accident.

A third use is in self defense. The strobe can twart the approach of an attacker through disorientation and even temporary blindness.

If you are strobophobic, you don't have to pass sequentially from LOW to HIGH to STROBE in order to get to OFF. Just hold the button in for a couple seconds to leapfrog the intermediate modes.

SELF-DEFENSE STRIKE BEZEL

The head of the flashlight has a scalloped bezel. It enables the flashlight to be used to fend off an attack, such as by forcefully and repeatedly jabbing the attacker's face. And the handle's knurling provides an extreme grip, which should make it easy to keep this weapon under your control. Hopefully, the bad guy will run off and painfully regret his choice of victim.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
That is a very comprehensive review, I particularly liked the last section "Self-Defense Strike Bezel" :wink:

I will let you know what I think once I get them, probably in a few weeks time.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I love these. I had three, 3 cell mag lites around the house and other various types. After trying thesei threw away ALL of my other flashights (over a dozen) and replaced with these.

I was shocked at the distance you get with ONE LED. Yes, you can strap a couple of these on your bike and use them for headlights. I was tempted to rig up some mounts for them for just that purpose.

I got mine from Costco for something like $15 for a pack of three. I went back and bought two more packs and will get another pack next time I see them. Need to put one on one of my shotguns.

They have replaced all my flashlights.

A good emergency light to carry in you bike toolbag is one of those "light sticks" of various brands. The reason being that the "batteries" don't run down and they actually work when you need them. I've carried regular flashlights for years as well, and so far I've never actually needed one . . . and the batteries just go dead and leak all over the insides with them never being turned on.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The flashlight fetish must be catching. I've got a 3-pack coming from Amazon.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The flashlight fetish must be catching. I've got a 3-pack coming from Amazon.
You wont be sad you are getting these.....this new high tech LED they are using is not your father's LED.....if you look at what
Walmart is selling, and for what price, it is amazing that Costco can sell these for $15 for a three pack....I am taking two to the
Reno Air Races....56 hours to blastoff.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Have fun and take a bunch of pix!
Phil, how did you like the flashlights?
I have been putting an hour every night working on my pics of Reno and obtaining permission from proffessional photogs to use their pics on my site.....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chris, I meant to post something about the flashlights and had forgotten to do it. They are really bright. I spent about $50 for an LED flashlight at Lowes about a year ago and it's nowhere near as bright as the the three I got from Amazon for way less.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, I meant to post something about the flashlights and had forgotten to do it. They are really bright. I spent about $50 for an LED flashlight at Lowes about a year ago and it's nowhere near as bright as the the three I got from Amazon for way less.
Funny you should mention that....I saw some at the Spokane gun show that were expensive with high ratings and they couldnt hold a candle to the Techlite 200.....mine held up well on my many trips to the porta potty at the Camp ground at Reno.....

Top Bottom