Floating Top Box Catching On

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I just finished reading a review on the Triumph 2011 Sprint GT sport touring bike in the February issue of MCN. They say that both the side panniers and the optional top box are mounted so that they can move side to side which is intended to keep wind generated turbulence from disturbing chassis stability. Perhaps Honda is on to something with its movable top box.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'd love to hear a chassis engineer's comment on this. Still sounds goofy to me. I can possibly see it with the panniers to dampen stress by vibration and impact.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The OEM ST1300 topbox does the same thing. Has a very slight movment to it also. mater of fack as I think about my ST1100 OEM box did the same thing.

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
Re-installed my topbox this afternoon. Found that I had not followed directions quite closely enough. The tail light and the taillight cover had not sealed well enough (gotta' make sure and get the little tabs in the slots) and had not greased the parts that need greasing. Must admit it was a lot easier the second time and in the daylight not at night!

Top Bottom