Foam block mystery

MaxBC

After reading about the spark plug cap issue, I thought that I would swap mine out while the bike was in winter storage. I pulled the necessary tupperware, and standing on the left hand side of the bike, propped the front of the fuel tank on a chunk of 2x4. I changed the left cap. When I went to the right side (front cylinder) I found the pictured block of foam resting inside the bodywork near the radiator reservoir. The self-adhesive side had evidently given up in the garage's cold.

It's a fairly dense foam block measuring .5" x .5" x 7" with one tacky length. It's not perfectly straight. It doesn't show any real signs of compression. Looks like it might fit somewhere between the tank and the air cleaner housing cover.

Pictures attached. Where exactly does this go?

Thanks,
Max

Attachments

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I found mine during the 8000 miles maintenence. Take a look at the left turn signal from inside the middle cowl and you should find a similar piece attached there. The piece you found should be re-attached around the right turn signal.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
They attach on the inside of the fairing pockets, which would be near the tank. Its either for vibration elimination or to keep dirt and rain from spraying up into where its not wanted. How do I know, I took out the pockets and around the curve it was coming undone, I glued it back.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
They attach on the inside of the fairing pockets, which would be near the tank. Its either for vibration elimination or to keep dirt and rain from spraying up into where its not wanted. How do I know, I took out the pockets and around the curve it was coming undone, I glued it back.
Same here. I caught mine before they came completely undone. There have been a couple threads on this in the past. Those foam pieces go under the pockets on the inside of the fairing on a "shelf" of black plastic. Not sure why they don't list it on the schematic though.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
That's strange. When my right foam piece came off it had reattached itself near the pocket, but the left side piece of foam was still attached at the left turn signal. With residual glue around the right turn signal in the shape of the foam piece on the right side, and the left still attached there, I was quite sure that it belonged there.

If I remember on my next Honda order I'll spring for $1.09 to see if this is the foam strip called Front Turn Signal Mat in the drawing.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Interesting. I will try to remember to check mine next time I am in there. Should be sometime this spring for the next valve check.

OP
OP

MaxBC

The right and left middle cowl disassembly drawings (Honda manual pp. 3-13 and 3-14) show the placement of the foam block below the cowl's turn signal relief.

I suppose the purpose of the foam is to prevent air ingress from producing a whistle at speeds in excess of 100 mph:smile:

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
If I remember on my next Honda order I'll spring for $1.09 to see if this is the foam strip called Front Turn Signal Mat in the drawing.
Lucky for me, I recent encounter with a deer gave me the opportunity to order a $400 middle cowl that has the foam strip installed instead of ordering just the $1.09 foam strip. What good fortune! :rolleyes:

Here is a pic showing the foam strip inside of a new middle cowl after installing the turn signal.
IMG_0929[1].jpg

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Lucky for me, I recent encounter with a deer gave me the opportunity to order a $400 middle cowl that has the foam strip installed instead of ordering just the $1.09 foam strip. What good fortune! :rolleyes:

Here is a pic showing the foam strip inside of a new middle cowl after installing the turn signal.
IMG_0929[1].jpg
Dan.

I put mine in the tool box!
Thanks for solving this mystery. Glad life is returning to normal after the deer attack.

Joe

Top Bottom