Foam reduction in stock seat

Maureen

When I bought my bike, the salesman suggested I reduce some of the foam in the stock seat to allow me more contact with the ground (28" inseam). I've seen this done in YouTube videos with just a steak knife and a staple gun, but I wonder if anyone has ever tried this. Sounds risky . . . But temptingly inexpensive.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Chris gave you good advice. Going to a professional is the way to go. I wouldn't limit my search to auto upholsterers. I would talk to furniture upholsterers, Marine Canvasmakers--they do upholstery as well (My wife is in that business) It is not simply a matter of taking foam out to make the seat lower. You will need a foam that still gives you comfort without the height. A pro will know what kind and how much. I went with the Sargent Low Profile seat and am very happy with it. My wife will redo the stock seat in leather when she gets the time.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Instead of hacking on it yourself, maybe try http://greatdaytoride.com , Spencer's Motorcycle Seat Mods. I will be sending my seat out this friday while I'm on vacation. They just replace foam inside. I'm getting the supracor style padding with a slight reshaping of the seat foam. Its in Florida, spend a little time looking at the website.

Bike
Silver NT700V
+ 1 on Spenser's for budget seat mods. Fro $75 plus shipping you can't beat the Supracor. I had it done to my GS500F seat and it made a huge difference. The seat won't LOOK much different because Spenser's doesn't sew covers. All his work will fit under the stock cover. With taht limitation, the turn around is very quick, out and back in less than a week.

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I'm another happy customer with Spencer's work. I didn't have it lowered, but it is unbelievable how much more comfortable it is, without changing looks. He uses different foam .

Nicole

Instead of hacking on it yourself, maybe try http://greatdaytoride.com , Spencer's Motorcycle Seat Mods. I will be sending my seat out this friday while I'm on vacation. They just replace foam inside. I'm getting the supracor style padding with a slight reshaping of the seat foam. Its in Florida, spend a little time looking at the website.
And the chances are I know this guy! LOL I love Martin County.

bclyde

I went with the Sargent Low Profile with the upgrade in the foam. I got my feet on the ground and the ride is as good or maybe better than the original. It takes them a few weeks as you have to send them your seat. Send it early in the winter. I waited until march and that was or is a busy time.

Top Bottom