Foggy Helmet

Luke7

Got a problem..

I have a Shoei Qwest helmet that uses the CW-1 visors(no pins).

I wear bifocal glasses and on my morning commutes, I always have issues with fogging up, especially when it is cool out. Sometimes it gets a bit too dangerous that I have to pull over.

Has anyone tried Pinlock inserts or any other type of antifogging inserts on their visors to prevent fogging?

What works for you?

Paul

Bike
2010 Red NT700
You dont have to have pins

Check out Hyperoptik

Its a universal pinlock system you can use in any helmet
Works great

Go to the Forums link and then go to the Helmet link in the Gear forum. In the Hyperoptik thread there is a link to hyper optik or better yet go to AMAZON

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Before I had a helmet with a pinlock shield I used Clarity Defog It on the inside of my face shield. Web bike world rated it at the top as an anti fog concentrate.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
in addition to the above suggestions, you could also leave your face shield cracked open just a little bit as well if it's not too cold for your face.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yes, the pinlock works. But, I'd try the Hyperoptic first, especially the photochromatic one.

I installed my own Pinlock pins on my Shoei visor. Drill and tap for 4-40 nylon screws (being careful to put them in the correct spots).

PS in really cold and wet even the pinlock and chemical treatments don't work.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Charlie. The pinlock on my Neotec works down to 5 degrees as long as I am moving. Even at stop lights it does not fog that bad and clears up quickly once I am underway. My Neotec also has a breath guard which probably helps and I did not install the chin curtain which helps to keep fresh air circulating. Since I ride behind the NT's wind screen there is not enough wind blast to freeze my chin with the curtain removed.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
The HyperShield I have in my helmet is so good I cant make my helmet fog up even when I try. 20 bucks

I originally thought I wouldn't respond, but I have the experience as RedNigel with my pinlock. I can't make it fog and I can't imagine getting another helmet without a pinlock system.

Terry

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Before I moved to Pinlock I used to use plain washing up liquid (dish washing liquid).

Clean the visor normally
Put a small amount of washing up liquid on the inside of the visor and rub it over all of the inside with your finger until the visor is transparent again. You soon get used to the quantity to use.
Leave to dry (you can, very gently, polish with a cloth if necessary but you need to leave a very thin film of the liquid on the inside of the visor)

Try and use a liquid which is natural - with as few additives/scent etc. as possible.

I used this for years while despatch riding in the UK and it worked brilliantly in the best of British weather - rain, fog, freezing fog, snow, mist etc. (Note sun is a rarity in the UK)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My pinlock does not get moisture in between, but, it does fog up when stopped.

I wish helmet makers would follow the skiing goggle industry and make double layer visors. Would solve a lot of the problems.

I have used dishwashing soap. The film it leaves is REALLY irritating at night. I am going to try the gel stuff, but, if it is anything like the stuff we got in the military it will have the same problem at night. During day time they work pretty good. So do potatoes. Yep, rub them on the inside of the visor and lightly buff. Same effect. All you are doing is putting something on the surface that kills the surface tension. You still have water vapor on there, it just doesn't form tiny bubbles that block your vision.

PS to help with rainy weather, put this stuff on the OUTSIDE of the visor as well. Water won't bead up and impair your vision. Kinda like Rain-X

Bike
Silver NT700V
I got the Pin Lock on my new Arai. I do like it. It keeps the VISOR clear quite nicely in humid SE TX. My GLASSES will still fog on occaision. I crack open the visor just slightly and the increased air flow usually solves the problem.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Some of the issues with the helmet visor fogging up is as much related to how good the ventilation is in the helmet as it is with the anti fog measure you are using. I have a pinlock in both my N90 and my Neotec helmet. The Neotec has much better ventilation and the pinlock fogs up much less then it does in the N90. Its interesting that we are talking about this now. Its been warm enough in the mornings here in TN that I am probably going to remove my pinlock tonight. I was aleady able to remove my jacket liner and before long I will be wearing my mesh jacket again.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I just leave my Pin Lock insert in all the time. Saves wear and tear (plus I am nervous about breaking stuff). Here in SE TX we have 30 degree swings in the day. Today it was 47 in the inbound commute (used jacket liner) and 80+ on the outbound commute (opened all the mesh panels, no liner).

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I believe the directions for the pinlock say not to leave it in all the time. If you do there is a chance the sealing material will become permanently bonded to your faceshield.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I believe the directions for the pinlock say not to leave it in all the time. If you do there is a chance the sealing material will become permanently bonded to your faceshield.
I didn't see that in my instructions, Warren. I've left the Pinlock in all the time, but rather than becoming permanently bonded, it's quit staying in place. Every time I open the chin bar or the face shield, the Pinlock slips down and gets fog behind it.

I'll try to get the HyperOptik deal installed this coming weekend.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Phil
The Shoei instructions that came with my pinlock has a warning list with 13 warnings. Warning 8 is the one that mentions to regularly remove the lenses to prevent the silicone bead from sticking to the face shield. An interesting note is that the pinlock insert that came with my N90 does not have a silicone bead on it while the one with my Neotec does. I would think if your insert is not staying in place that the eccentric pins need to be adjusted although I am guessing you have already tried that.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I would think if your insert is not staying in place that the eccentric pins need to be adjusted although I am guessing you have already tried that.
You're right. I have. Still slips. But I just push it up with a thumb and reclose the shield and then it stays put and doesn't fog.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Phil I got a new Pinlock for my Schuberth C3 and it cost about $35. Maybe you should invest in a new Pinlock...

The visor on the other hand was an arm, a leg and two front teeth...

Top Bottom