For the long inseam KLR

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Yep it is back

I suppose I am ok with it especially now it has fuel injection but seeing as Kawasaki has had one of the nicest 650 twin motors in the business I was really hoping for something along those lines...Ho Hum ...I enjoyed my KLR when I had it but will never look back to a large single thumper...

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I still have my 96, the updates look good to me. I am glad that Kawasaki kept the same basic machine.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I heard Dr. Gregory Frazier at the Concours National Rally in Centralia, WA, back in '05. He had ridden around the world 3 or 4 times at that point. The first trips he'd made had been on BMWs. I can't remember why he told us he'd picked a KLR for his third trip, but that was the end of using BMWs exclusively for Frazier. He had always had mechanical issues (not many, but some) while using BMWs and on his KLR he didn't even have a flat tire.

A friend of mine had found a bargain KLR equipped with Jesse bags for about $3K and rode every dirt pass in Colorado on it. He may still have it. I always wanted one, but: 1) they were too tall; and 2) I knew that if I ever tried to ride one off road -- and that was the whole point of wanting one -- I'd mess up my knees. I'm glad to see it back and like what they're doing to it. I had figured they'd use the twin out of the Versys 650 and wonder why they didn't.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
The KLR was popular here. Kawasaki will probably sell quite a few of this new fuel injected version.
Probably not for me. Seat is a bit tall for us shorter folk.

Brad

For a new upgraded machine I think Kawasaki really missed the boat. When there are other choices to be had the KLR is lackluster compaired to them it's low on power and more importantly is way overweight like 30lbs more than the old one ..I do like the fuel range and the suspension and the upgrades to the camchain tensioner but I cant see this will be enough to sway potential buyers.... I hope I am wrong...

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
It seems pretty spot on for its intended purpose. I have no need for one but if I wanted a simple reliable bike for going into the back country this one would be high on the list.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
but seeing as Kawasaki has had one of the nicest 650 twin motors in the business
Agreed!!!! I love the K 650 twin. It will out rev an NT all day and run much smoother while doing it. But it isn't really an off-road friendly power band. And the KLR isn't really an off-road bike. It is just a bike set up to ride off-road.

They might sell a ton of them. I hope they do.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I just watched a video on this bike. The improvements can be counted on a single hand.

A new motorcycle starting at $6,699 (Non-ABS), $6,999 (ABS) up to $7,999 cannot be beaten for what you get for the price. A budget fully functional dual-sport that can be ridden both on and off the highway.

Where the Honda CFR450L goes for $9,999 and the hardly unchanged for nearly 30 years XR650L for $6,999.

I am quite happy with Megas, my 1987 XL600R that I built myself.

MegasUpdate_01.jpg

Although not a strictly off road bike, but very capable in the right hands..I went a different route with my Honda CB 500 X lighter Cheaper tubeless tires and thoroughly modern..fits the bill for what I do...

Attachments

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I still befuddles me why American Honda continues to sell the XR650L. It has a truly towering seat height, ancient technology engine, and with a full tank is really top heavy. :-(

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I still befuddles me why American Honda continues to sell the XR650L. It has a truly towering seat height, ancient technology engine, and with a full tank is really top heavy. :-(
I don’t know the answer but I suspect they continue to sell it because it continues to sell regardless of its shortcomings.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
The XR650L has its roots from the XL600R. Basically it got an electric starter, 3-phase stator, battery ignition, longer suspension travel, single CV carburetor, and a bump in displacement.

Top Bottom